Moore PowerPuller For 9k Van?

Bravo30

I need something to give me a tug if I find myself stuck in some light mud. My van is 2wd and weighs around 9k pounds. I don’t do anything crazy off-road, mostly forest roads and deserts out west.
I’m a pretty good driver and most of the time i can avoid situations but every now and then it happens. Swampy grass on an incline being the #1 culprit most of the time. I avoid mud altogether unless it’s a decent straight shot where I can build up momentum first and ride it out to the other side.

Is the power puller something worth having in the van ?

Last edited:

Bravo30

This happened 2 weeks ago. I went down into a campsite to have a look at things. I intended just to circle the campfire and head back out all without stopping. Soon as I got down there about halfway around the campfire I started to spin and come to a dead stop so I backed up and put my nose uphill. I had room behind me as a plan B to rock back and forth so it was just a matter of digging out and laying down a Roman road under each tire. Times like this I could have used a winch or something to give me some breathing room.

Still not bad for a cargo van with highway tires! (Yokohama geolandars) I’m in the process of getting new tires and suspension work done.

Attachments

• 61820A53-0B4A-4F71-9AD3-BDE589353C54.jpeg
    61820A53-0B4A-4F71-9AD3-BDE589353C54.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • CD5AF2AE-EB7E-4923-9060-1DE6F3784145.jpeg
    CD5AF2AE-EB7E-4923-9060-1DE6F3784145.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Bravo30

Why didn’t you put the chains on?

You can’t tell from the pictures but there was a decent sized rock next to the inside of the rear tire that sat about 6” above ground and I couldn’t get the chains to connect with it there. The other tire was buried in the mud so I said the hell with it and just dig out what I could outside of the tires and laid the rocks down. I’m looking into airbag lift system so next time I can just inflate the bag, put the chains, deflate the bag and then drive off.

I think some better tires and maxtrax would be more useful. A limited slip or selectable locking differential would be a plus. The power puller doesn’t have much line on it and you’re going to need a pile of other gear to make it useful, plus a conveniently located anchor point.

Were your tires at street pressure?

Reactions: WVI

Bravo30

I think some better tires and maxtrax would be more useful. A limited slip or selectable locking differential would be a plus. The power puller doesn’t have much line on it and you’re going to need a pile of other gear to make it useful, plus a conveniently located anchor point.

Were your tires at street pressure?

Yep, street pressure. I forgot my air compressor. We usually winter camp so this is our first year out in the summer. I even had the wrong shovel with me from the winter (flat) I’m slowly getting things together. I ordered maxtrax already. New tires and suspension work in about 4 weeks. Swapped out all of the snow tools for dirt etc

My van has a decent traction control that I can switch off into a posi rear. I just ordered V bar chains to go along with the Konig XG-12 pros I just need more practice putting them on in muddy conditions.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier