Moog CC880S coils

bmxr064

Here is my old van with 285/75/16, moog cc880s springs and fender trimmming.
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/my-first-van-starburst-e350.169610/page-2
Thanks uhauler! Ive been through your thread and its been a great help. My concern is the 7.3 engine plus ambulance package would reduce the amount of lift i'll see. Would you still be able to trim a touch further on your van, or was that about all you could cut away safely? I imagine i'll need to trim juat a touch more than you have. Cheers!

UHAULER

Explorer
Thanks uhauler! Ive been through your thread and its been a great help. My concern is the 7.3 engine plus ambulance package would reduce the amount of lift i'll see. Would you still be able to trim a touch further on your van, or was that about all you could cut away safely? I imagine i'll need to trim juat a touch more than you have. Cheers!
From what I remember, there was plenty of clearance, even when compressed. You could probably do a little more.

jeepone

I have a 2000 E250 5.4 Quigley. Just installed some 880s Moogs with new bill steins up front. They seem really stiff. I think they are too much for my 8000# van. Rally driving over washboard and speed bumps was super harsh.

They are sitting at 15" right now, and gave me a 1.75" lift over the OG stock e250 coils that were in there. They did have 240,000 miles on them though.

Any idea how much these may settle and in what time frame? Also, what may be a softer coil to use that may make this van a little more comfortable to drive. Unless I re-gear to 4.56 to fit 35's, this front end looks way to big for the 285/75/16's in there now.

The Moog 880's seem popular, but are not available on rock auto. Is the cc81368 a modern replacement for this?

Gtdad

Adventurer
With only a 5.4, 880s will be too heavy. I’m very happy with them and a heavier 7.3 psd. I believe 860 may be better suited for you.

I finally just had Bilstein's ( Rv comfort not HD) put on my pleasure way traverse on my e350'd suspension e250 , still have the 880s on. Can confirm they do soften a bit after 3 years but still feel "firm" . I keep my van fully prepped for earthquake preparedness so carry a bit more weight. I like the lift I got from the 880's and can fit my studded hakkapelitta 265's on IF I need them. I would not mind it softer a bit but ultimately I don't want to lose my lift because of low hanging propane and grew water "fruit" lol.
During the install it ended being a lot more expensive, my 2002 ball joints were shot and could not do alignment due to slop + components like wheel bearing etc a, all hd too much play. With a complete front end all new HD upper and lower ball joints , bearings , shocks alignment and two new Rotiva At plus 10plys tires was 3300$ cad ouch. However my steering has no slop and tracks so much better and really like the new shocks so much less bob and roll.Van feels new.

McGuyver

So the CC860 has been suggested for the vans with the 5.4 L V8. Can anyone explain what the difference is between that, and the CC860S?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

McGuyver

Nevermind, found it:

5e0ea2bebaee979e34a0cd6ac2cc03f8.jpg

ADVdreams

I’ve had the cc880s springs installed for 3 years and they are holding up well. Application is E350 6L diesel with modified 8 lug D44 TTB. The factory springs were way too soft and sagged, probably more from age than miles as there was maybe 130,000 km on them when I pulled them. I was revisiting this thread to check for other options that might provide a higher installed height. Thanks for posting the link to the moog table. Pretty much confirms that the CC880S is the best off the shelf for my application for both load and installed height with pigtail ends top and bottom. I ended up adding 1” blocks under the rear springs to level it it the ride height and it’s still slightly lower in the rear. The top 3-4 coils are nearly fully compressed as others have noted with diesels and the cc880s.

I also have bilstein 5100 installed (3 years) and can confirm that washboard performance still sucks. On road was improved.

seems like the next steps would be some custom valved foxes and a custom real leaf pack ... or maybe just airing the tires down.

Does anyone here know how they rate the 'installed height'?

Just got back from my first 1000+mile trip with the van, the front end is way to stiff with the CC880S installed. I kind of figured they would be with the 5.4 up front but went with it because the MG kit had spec'd these. Feels great driving down the highway but on hard bumps like a bridge transition at high speed or a slow speed 'speed bump' there is little give and the van just launches upward.

Heard lots of folks with the 5.4 dropping to the CC860 or CC860S (not sure what the S is for) and have been happy. But wondering how much more lift or lack of lift will be had. I wouldnt mind dropping an inch or 2 upfront for a little softer ride but also dont want to order 3 sets of springs for trial and error testing. PS CC880S springs will be available soon, low miles :)

Raul

Adventurer
Does anyone here know how they rate the 'installed height'?

Just got back from my first 1000+mile trip with the van, the front end is way to stiff with the CC880S installed. I kind of figured they would be with the 5.4 up front but went with it because the MG kit had spec'd these. Feels great driving down the highway but on hard bumps like a bridge transition at high speed or a slow speed 'speed bump' there is little give and the van just launches upward.

Heard lots of folks with the 5.4 dropping to the CC860 or CC860S (not sure what the S is for) and have been happy. But wondering how much more lift or lack of lift will be had. I wouldnt mind dropping an inch or 2 upfront for a little softer ride but also dont want to order 3 sets of springs for trial and error testing. PS CC880S springs will be available soon, low miles :)
Installed height is how much the spring compresses under the rated weight. Load / rate = spring compression. Example: CC880S, 3006 lbs / 652 (lbs/inch) = 4.6 inch of compression. Free height 16.6 inch-4.6inch compression = 12 inch installed height.

If you know your weight per side you can calculate what the installed height will be on each spring. If you have 2000 lbs of weight on each of your front tires, 2000 / 652 = 3 inch. the installed height will be 16.6 - 3 =13.6inch

I am happy with the cc860s on my 5.4 after trying the 880s and 880

McGuyver

I have the 5.4 L, and I bought the CC880S springs. Haven't installed them yet, but sounds like I might have to swap them to lighter springs. Thanks for the tip.

By the way, Raul is right about the springs calcs. I was going to post the same thing, and then saw he had already posted it.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I have the 5.4 L, and I bought the CC880S springs. Haven't installed them yet, but sounds like I might have to swap them to lighter springs. Thanks for the tip.

By the way, Raul is right about the springs calcs. I was going to post the same thing, and then saw he had already posted it.

The 880s are exceptional in my E350 with a 7.3 PSD. That said it’s 3700-4000 lbs on the front axle… unless you’re significantly over 3000 lbs in the front end, the 880s will yield a harsh ride (from what I’ve read and understand).

b. rock

That's with the factory 2wd radius arms right? I wonder how different the leverage ratio is vs a 4x4 radius arm setup. As my van sits, without a bumper or winch, I'm at 4440 on the front axle.

Raul

Adventurer
That's with the factory 2wd radius arms right? I wonder how different the leverage ratio is vs a 4x4 radius arm setup. As my van sits, without a bumper or winch, I'm at 4440 on the front axle.
My comments are about my van, 5.4, 4x4 with MG radius arms kit. Keep in mind that the springs will not have to take care of the weight of the axle on a static situation.

Great info! Thanks for the math Raul!
When I finished my vans front and rear axles my first test trip was to the local scales...empty, minus the conversion interior from original purchase in 1999 (which is coming out this weekend)
Front 3800#
Rear 3450#

Sounds like I can take the 3800# and deduct the axle weight itself and tire wheel weight and determine spring loading, desired height and basically go from there?
Any other items to consider? Raul, did you determine the CC860S using calculations or trial and error? I know you've played with springs a little and I would lean toward experience vs what the math may determine, ideally middle ground from both or real close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles