Monument Rocks National Natural Landmark

TripLeader

Explorer
This thread was originally intended to be only about Monument Rocks. It has since grown to cover more Kansas landmarks.
_____
Monument Rocks
_____
During the summer of 2012 I stopped and visited Monument Rocks, located in Western Kansas. It's quite an unbelievable place to find, given the surroundings.

For more information, here is the website for Oakley, Kansas: http://discoveroakley.com/visitors/attractions/monument-rocks

It's worth a visit if you find yourself out that way...
p1040552.jpg
_____
p1040565.jpg
_____
p1040575.jpg
_____
p1040584.jpg
_____
p1040594.jpg
_____
p1040601.jpg
_____
p1040605.jpg
_____
p1040610.jpg
_____
p1040614.jpg

Last edited:

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
Great looking place. One of these days on my way back to visit the Nebraska prairies I will have to stop and see these Kansas Rocks. Kansas has some interesting places such as these Rocks and the Flint Hills.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
Very neat, thanks. I grew up in KS and never knew they were there, have to stop by the next time I'm near there.

TripLeader

Explorer
Places to See in Western Kansas

Public access to Monument Rocks might not last for much longer. It was recently sold and there's speculation the new owner might close it off. http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/morning_call/2013/01/pyramid-ranch-home-to-monument-rocks.html
_____
There's some things to see out in Western Kansas. Castle Rock is similar to Monument Rocks, and fairly close. Cottonwood Ranch is an old sheep ranch that the state historical society maintains. Nicodemus National Historic Site and El Quartelejo Pueblo Ruins are on my list of places to visit in the region.

TripLeader

Explorer
Cottonwood Ranch--Near Hoxie, Kansas

It's an interesting tour. An English immigrant started it around the turn of the century. The house was built from limestone, which is abundant in the area.
_____
p1080513.jpg
_____
p1080522.jpg
_____
p1080553.jpg

Last edited:

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
Public access to Monument Rocks might not last for much longer. It was recently sold and there's speculation the new owner might close it off. http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/morning_call/2013/01/pyramid-ranch-home-to-monument-rocks.html
_____
There's some things to see out in Western Kansas. Castle Rock is similar to Monument Rocks, and fairly close. Cottonwood Ranch is an old sheep ranch that the state historical society maintains. Nicodemus National Historic Site and El Quartelejo Pueblo Ruins are on my list of places to visit in the region.
That would be sad if Monument Rocks access was closed off. Those are some fine limestone buildings in your latest photos of the Cottonwood Ranch. Another place to go see if I get the chance.

Woodsman

Adventurer
I've heard of these but on my many trips across Kansas I always find myself racing the clock and sticking to the interstate.
Having seen your pics, I will definitely try to check these out next summer.

TripLeader

Explorer
I've heard of these but on my many trips across Kansas I always find myself racing the clock and sticking to the interstate.
Having seen your pics, I will definitely try to check these out next summer.

It takes some time to do it, but you'll most likely have the place all to yourself. It's just unbelievable to see these rocks. There's a few limestone outcroppings in the area, but nothing close to the same scale. It's just flat all around except for these delicate limestone rocks. It's almost like a natural Stonehenge feeling. The word majestic always comes to mind when I think about Monument Rocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94