Monty the 3rd Gen Montero

ChrisCosta416

Time for an update I figure...

Great turnout at the Adventure Mobiles and Coffee Today, fun fact the Silver Gen3 is running rear ICON shocks from a RAM 2500 WHICH means, we could probably adapt Fox, Bilsteins and other brands to run a longer rear shock that will be able to dampen better and provide more travel!

DSC06171.jpgDSC06181.jpgDSC06193.jpgDSC06197.jpgDSC06201.jpg

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Glad to see you're getting out into the bush!
Bummer about the fuel leak. I had the same issue quite a few years back while wheeling in Plumas NF.
We were solo on that trip, so I was worried to say the least. Factory recall on the leveler was honored by the dealer when I returned.
(Love your rig riding on the Kings!)
Cheers

ChrisCosta416

I realized that I have many many photos of the Sierra Challenge I have not uploaded yet @Toasty will be happy, I will also have a sierra video soon I will post. Anyway I think I found a new feature for the Gen3, it has an aquarium in the third row seat! I am super bummed as it looks like it has been filled to the brim with water for a while. My jack has surface rust and some mold is on my Goose Gear base plate. Going to pull it all out and give it a good cleaning. After searching on the Aus forums and our wonderful Facebook pages, it helped me confirm and trace a leaky rear door seal. Water seeps down and accumulates at the bottom overtime dumping it into the 3rd row storage cubby. I ordered the following part numbers and will try to silicone the area - MR437182 / MR437186 - cost me around 200USD retail.

Main thing I really am bummed about is having to pull out everything to clean it up and let it air out. Ordered some mold cleaner and THANKFULLY the only thing that seems to be damaged or molded is the baseplate, the rest of the car including carpet is dry and was never wet.

All this was discovered while helping someone change a spare tire - so I am very glad I caught it, I store all my recovery gear in there so it would of been a huge morale hit to find out one day I am STUCK and the third row is FLOODED

I think this is good thing for folks to know, especially those who consider dropping compressor or duel batteries in there.

IMG_7351.JPGIMG_7352.JPGIMG_7350.JPG

And finally a sneak peak at some photos and videos that are coming soon!

DSC03919.jpg

ChrisCosta416

Took a quick last minute day trip to Death Valley, and I can confirm my fuel issue is now indeed fixed! After steep climbs and elevation changes with a full tank, no more fuel pouring out!

DSC08171.jpg
On our way to Death Valley we encountered a Burro, unfortunately someone did not read the NPS rules against feeding wildlife..

DSC08204.jpgDSC08211.jpg
Took a beautiful drive through Titus Canyon, I never expected to see this kind of scenery in Death Valley!

DSC08220.jpgDSC08223.jpg

Stopped for a few photos of my truck of course! I am really digging not having a tent but at the same time, can't wait to get a tent..

DSC08228.jpgDSC08217.jpg

It kept getting better and better

DSC08237.jpg

Stopped to air back up, the dirt looks pretty rad on those Evocorses! Also being on my second set of Grabber ATX, I absolutely love em! We all know tires come down to preference but the tread wear and life has been fantastic, in addition the road noise is minimal. Plus they aren't that heavy!

DSC08175.jpgDSC08249.jpg

Schmaab

Good to see you fixed the fuel issue!

Looks like you've had the EvoCorse DakarZeros for about a year now? Do you think these will be long term rims for you?

ChrisCosta416

Good to see you fixed the fuel issue!

Looks like you've had the EvoCorse DakarZeros for about a year now? Do you think these will be long term rims for you?

These were my dream wheel and I love the look! But more and more I am finding weight is a concern for me, I think these weigh about 28lbs, I dont really plan on switching them, but if I do it would be for an OEM Mitsu 17inch wheel or Toyota TRD rock Warrior wheel. As I enjoy this truck more and more, I am finding that I care less about looks and more about practicality!

But these Evocorses are way stronger than both options I just listed.

wolfdog

Hi Jamie, I have been in contact with total chaos to ask if they would consider building a long travel kit for the front end.
I haven't received an answer. Just wondering while you were there with your vehicle was that ever asked or considered?

Thanks mate.
Jim

ChrisCosta416

Hi Jamie, I have been in contact with total chaos to ask if they would consider building a long travel kit for the front end.
I haven't received an answer. Just wondering while you were there with your vehicle was that ever asked or considered?

Thanks mate.
Jim

Hi Jim! I have asked the folks there multiple times, they really are not open as they dont see enough interest for the platform BUT if more keep asking it might come true!

I have plans again to talk to RCV axles to get stronger axles made and inquire about longer axles.

wolfdog

Hi Jim! I have asked the folks there multiple times, they really are not open as they dont see enough interest for the platform BUT if more keep asking it might come true!

I have plans again to talk to RCV axles to get stronger axles made and inquire about longer axles.
I can understand there logical thinking.
Keep us updated on the axles mate, very interesting.

Jim

ChrisCosta416

Well all,

My truck will be for sale soon, if the price is right. I still have photos, stories and some more updates to make but I think its time for me to move on from the Gen3 into a LX570/200 Series. I still have my SWB Gen1 and soon to be a proud owner of @toastyfab black Gen1 LWB!

Stay tuned, you can read up on what I have done to it and maintenance performed here - I still have a few updates and changes to make and add but a majority of items on there are correct including the asking price but I am 100% open to hearing everyone's opinion on the price and would love feedback

I will be making an official for sale post soon. Just because I am gone does not mean I won't chime in still :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles