Monty the 3rd Gen Montero

ChrisCosta416

Picked up this clean 2003 Montero Limited last week with only 101,xxx miles! Can't wait to build it up!

The interior and exterior look pristine, previous owner had it serviced at the dealer every 3-5k miles! Water Pump and timing belt were change at 60k, so about 19k more to go until the next interval.

I first started looking for a 3rd gen 4runner or FZJ80 but the prices in SoCal are insane! I did a bit of research and was surprised at the price of Monteros. It checked the box for everything I need/wanted

- 2 Speed Transfer Case
- Ability to add lockers
- Size
- Price
- Reliability (I hope)

There are few issues that look like an easy fix

- Temp gauge inaccurate - Fixed Soldered r10 resistor
- Small chip in windshield
- Top glovebox won't unlock - Solved, drilled out hole to reveal key

I plan to do a short trip to Anza Borrego next month, can't wait to see what it can do

Pictures can't seem to upload so heres an imgur link

Here is what I am hoping to do

- Change all Fluids - Done
- Aftermarket Radio - Done
- Miscellaneous repairs - Done -
- Skid Plates (Engine, Transmission, Transfer Case, Gas Tank) - 3 skid plates ordered from Adventure Driven Design, waiting on their arrival - done
- Lift Kit (Old Man Emu struts/shocks/Springs or Bilstein shocks/struts with Old Man Emu springs) - went with OME coils/struts/shocks
- Sliders - some
- Roof Rack (Rhino Rack or Front Runner) - went with front runner
- ARB Front Bumper -
- Possibly a custom rear bumper increasing departure angle

Attachments

• DSCF0048blank.jpg
    DSCF0048blank.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF0046blank.jpg
    DSCF0046blank.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF0052blank.jpg
    DSCF0052blank.jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Be sure to grab a FSM from my link if you don't already have one. Adventure Driven Designs has some upgrade skid plates available. Rocky-Road has sliders. I can also recommend Skidmark 4x4 trailer hitch plates to compensate for the departure angle.

Also your 03 should have the 3.8L with traction control. This works with ABS to function like LSD on the front and rear. It works very well and is better designed for off-road use than most systems of its kind. This system also works with the factory rear LSD that can be salvaged from some 01-02 models.

HMSEndeavour

Nice vehicle!

You are going to have to drill a small hole in the top glovebox latch in order to unlock it with your car key (you only need to insert roughly 1/3 of your key in the hole). For some reason the keyhole is covered by plastic.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Welcome aboard!

I hope it brings you many miles of fun and adventure as mine has...

Cheers

newworld2004

Adventurer
Picked up this clean 2003 Montero Limited last week with only 101,xxx miles! Can't wait to build it up!

The interior and exterior look pristine, previous owner had it serviced at the dealer every 3-5k miles! Water Pump and timing belt were change at 60k, so about 19k more to go until the next interval.

I first started looking for a 3rd gen 4runner or FZJ80 but the prices in SoCal are insane! I did a bit of research and was surprised at the price of Monteros. It checked the box for everything I need/wanted

- 2 Speed Transfer Case
- Ability to add lockers
- Size
- Price
- Reliability (I hope)

There are few issues that look like an easy fix

- Temp gauge inaccurate
- Small chip in windshield
- Top glovebox won't unlock

I plan to do a short trip to Anza Borrego next month, can't wait to see what it can do

Pictures can't seem to upload so heres an imgur link

https://imgur.com/a/9o7rJ

Here is what I am hoping to do

- Change all Fluids - Done
- Aftermarket Radio
- Miscellaneous repairs
- Skid Plates (Engine, Transmission, Transfer Case, Gas Tank)
- Lift Kit (Old Man Emu struts/shocks/Springs or Bilstein shocks/struts with Old Man Emu springs)
- Sliders
- Roof Rack (Rhino Rack or Front Runner)
- ARB Front Bumper
- Possibly a custom rear bumper increasing departure angle

looks amazing!, May I asked how much you paid for it?

ChrisCosta416

Just changed my front brake pads today ( installed new brake hardware as well) When driving around 5mph (not braking) I hear a weird metal to metal noise from the right front wheel. Anyone know what it could be?

ChrisCosta416

Update: noise was due to a rock stuck between the dust shield.

Some updates have been done to my Montero since the last time.

- 3M crystallite added to the two front windows (Goal was to reduce heat around and town and in the SoCal Deserts)
- Aftermarket radio installed
- Glove Box fixed
- Temp Gauge fixed

For the future
- I received my OME lift and plan to put it on in a few weeks.
- My skid plates from ADD should arrive this week and I will be installing them before I take it to Anza Borrego!
- General ATX Tires
- Front Runner Roof Rack
- Rock Road supersliders

ChrisCosta416

Welp have been super busy!

Here is a photo dump from some recent additions

IMG_0555.jpg
- A little red LED for night reading of maps

IMG_0562.JPG
- Out with the old stock skid plates

IMG_0561.jpg
- In with the new Adventure Driven Design Skid Plates (Came in right before my first trip!)

ChrisCosta416

Here our a few shots from my trip to Anza Borrego and Joshua Tree.

We hit up some hikes, Red Ocotillo Restaurant (HIGHLY RECOMMEND STOPPING HERE) and a few Off-Road trails... Font's Point is by far my highlight of this trip

IMG_0563.jpg
dscf0095.JPG

dscf0124.JPG

dscf0155.JPG

IMG_0602.jpg
IMG_0614.JPG
IMG_0660.JPG
dscf0166.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member