Monty in Moab, trails to take?

Hey guys,

Would the Moab frequenters mind giving a few recommendations on trails to take in Moab? We (wife and two daughters) may be passing through there this summer so would like a couple of moderate trails to tackle. I'd prefer those with MINIMAL chance of roll over. I particularly dislike off camber trails... I'm a competent driver, but have minimal slickrock experience :). We did Seven Mile Rim north of Moab in an FJC and the side hill portion would be way too uncomfortable for us with loaded truck and family....

_DSC8842-X2.jpg
My monty has 33x12.50 duratracs, lifted in the rear a bit torsion crank in the front and the rear locker. I don't have sliders or substantial skid plates.

Thoughts?

We'll likely be limited on time to a couple days in Moab and I do intend to do Top of the World and possibly do the trail in Arches from Willow Flats to Salt Valley road. Looking for one more good Moab trail to run.

DaJudge

Explorer
In Arches take the trail to Tower Arch. Easy and nice short hike at end to the Arch. Top of the World is a nice trail as well. Also, A nice easy but very scenic loop is Potash Rd. up Shafer Switchbacks and then back down Long Canyon. If you dont have Charles Wells' book for Moab I recommend it. It will give you a good selection of trails to consider along with detailed directions.

Cool, thanks! I was eyeballing Shafer and White Rim, although the latter is a bit too long during the heat of the summer. Will save it for when/if we move to Utah!

In Arches take the trail to Tower Arch. Easy and nice short hike at end to the Arch. Top of the World is a nice trail as well. Also, A nice easy but very scenic loop is Potash Rd. up Shafer Switchbacks and then back down Long Canyon. If you dont have Charles Wells' book for Moab I recommend it. It will give you a good selection of trails to consider along with detailed directions.

Tower Arch was really rough when I was in there last fall. In the past is has been a pretty easy trail, but the north end of the trail was washed out. My buddy had a hard time getting his locked FJ80 through that section. My G-wagon made it with ease so it hard to say how a Montero would do. It is a great trail and fun to drive.

Another trail I would recommend is Hells Revenge. You can't say you have been to Moab unless you have done Hells Revenge.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
My wife and I really enjoyed the Eye of the Whale trail in Arches. Nothing off-camber at all. The White Rim is incredible and not technically challenging at all. We did it in June with temps up to 111 degrees. It wasn't unpleasant at all. You know, it's a dry heat....

Seriously, one of the "coolest" things about doing it in the heat was that everyone else stayed home! We had the entire thing virtually to ourselves.

My wife and I really enjoyed the Eye of the Whale trail in Arches. Nothing off-camber at all. The White Rim is incredible and not technically challenging at all. We did it in June with temps up to 111 degrees. It wasn't unpleasant at all. You know, it's a dry heat....

Seriously, one of the "coolest" things about doing it in the heat was that everyone else stayed home! We had the entire thing virtually to ourselves.

The Eye of the Whale trail is the same trail as the Tower Arch trail. Like I said. It is a good trail but from June-Sept it is best to start on the north end because going up the big sand hill can be difficult in the summer months.

Thanks Sabre, I read and enjoyed your trip report this morning. Eye of the Whale trail, that's the name of the one I described above (Between willow flats and salt valley). That trail difficulty is comfortable for us.

DSC_1390.jpg
DSC_1359.jpg

http://www.lifestylesinlight.com/Photography/Travel/20967664_8hN4t9#!i=1666142599&k=xdG8CWv&lb=1&s=A

Our primary concern with the heat is that we'll have our ~16 month old baby with us. While we can adjust to it easily enough, it'll be more difficult and dangerous for her. Plus all of us are acclimated to 760 ft above sea level.

Attachments

• 303725_667181561261_148534339_n.jpg
    303725_667181561261_148534339_n.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94