Monteros on craigslist

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Those miles are pretty low honestly, if you can figure out if the engine has been well maintained, I'd say $3,500 honestly. If not, then less, obviously. Kinda depends on the interior condition too

You'd be shocked at how many go thru auctions and sell for nothing. I wanted a gen2.5 that wasn't completely thrashed inside and out.( or modded to someone elses specs) Pulled one out of Sacramento auction yard that hadn't been touched, just a bit neglected thru the years. Just beginning the resurrection.

Attachments

• IMG_4354.JPG
    IMG_4354.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 38

Swank Force One

Adventurer
My CL ad died, but it's still on OfferUp. (Link below)

I love this truck, but i have an HDJ81, an FZJ80, and a V8 4runner. It's time.

Good:
ADD 2" HD kit with all the bells and whistles installed about 6000 miles ago. (Bulletproofed idler built on new oem idler, Siberian bushings everwhere, new OEM balljoints, the beefy boy rear panhard, etc.)
2" 4Crawler body lift
Fresh brakes. (Calipers, pads, replaced the front soft lines, upper and lower, turned front rotors (still plenty of meat)
Freshy fresh oem heater core just installed
Bangin' stereo. (Gutted all oem stuff, built from scratch)
Snorkel
I pulled this truck out of CA. Very minimal surface corrosion underneath, hasn't really progressed in my ownership. Everything comes apart as it should. (I work from home and i don't think i've even put 20k miles on this yet)
Recent gasket/seal/hose/plugs/wires refresh. (Basically everything north of the head gaskets)
Power seat and seat heaters work
Backdated non-airbag dash, including aux gauge cluster (I prefer the earlier compass/temp guage to the later 98-00)
Red LED interior stuff to not trash night vision
Ni-Lite reverse light "conversion"
Timing belt service done ~25k miles ago. I have receipt somewhere
Fresh front bearing set/packing job.

Bad:
One of the Sway-A-Way torsion bars snapped earlier this week. Josh @ ADD is looking into warranty replacement for me.
Front seats only. (threw 2nd and 3rd rows in the dumpster with intent to build a platform)
Carpets aren't minty. No real bad wear or tears, just need a good steam cleaning, or just plain old replaced. (i was going to replace, i hate tan anyways)
Normal bumps and bruises for a 185k mile truck that was actually used.
I believe i drove in the front wheel seals a little far when doing the bearings.
Has some small leaks still. Oil pan weeps, but isn't leaving spots on the ground, nor is there a huge amount on the skid plates. Same for trans. I check fluids regularly and it hasn't needed a top off between oil changes for me.

Those of you in the Eastern US where these are hard to find.... this is your chance to cannibalize your rusty truck and move to a CA chassis with a bunch of quality (and expensive) bells and whistles without needing to drive 40 hours.

$2500, come and get it. Bring a trailer and wheels. Open to reducing price a couple hundred if i can yoink the stereo out of it to put in my HDJ81.

If i end up messing with replacing the bars, setting height again, re-aligning, and replacing the front wheel seals, $3500 you bring wheels, or $4000 with the 15" wheels wrapped in Nokian MTs from the HDJ81.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Yeah it's not ideal. Hoping i hear something back about it soon, because while it's not mission critical, this is my DD for the little driving i do until my HDJ81 can be retrieved from Canada. So, on a general level, i'm without transportation for the moment while my wife is at work.

I would not (and will not, assuming they take care of business) hesitate to put another set on the truck. Freak metallurgy issue is the only explanation, and i'm a magnet for that sort of thing, i've found.

nckwltn

Explorer
My CL and Expo Ad:

Optical

Are you selling? I’m in the market for a low mileage 2.5.
No, I was looking at one on CL. The seller lied about the mileage, it was actually 235k and not 120k. The interior was trashed and the passenger side of the front bumper was smashed and missing the headlight. The blinkers did not work and had a flat tire. No service records (probably because it wasn't serviced), and it ended up being the base model and not the winter package. Needless to say I did not want to pay $1.9k for it.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
My CL ad died, but it's still on OfferUp. (Link below)

I love this truck, but i have an HDJ81, an FZJ80, and a V8 4runner. It's time.

Good:
ADD 2" HD kit with all the bells and whistles installed about 6000 miles ago. (Bulletproofed idler built on new oem idler, Siberian bushings everwhere, new OEM balljoints, the beefy boy rear panhard, etc.)
2" 4Crawler body lift
Fresh brakes. (Calipers, pads, replaced the front soft lines, upper and lower, turned front rotors (still plenty of meat)
Freshy fresh oem heater core just installed
Bangin' stereo. (Gutted all oem stuff, built from scratch)
Snorkel
I pulled this truck out of CA. Very minimal surface corrosion underneath, hasn't really progressed in my ownership. Everything comes apart as it should. (I work from home and i don't think i've even put 20k miles on this yet)
Recent gasket/seal/hose/plugs/wires refresh. (Basically everything north of the head gaskets)
Power seat and seat heaters work
Backdated non-airbag dash, including aux gauge cluster (I prefer the earlier compass/temp guage to the later 98-00)
Red LED interior stuff to not trash night vision
Ni-Lite reverse light "conversion"
Timing belt service done ~25k miles ago. I have receipt somewhere
Fresh front bearing set/packing job.

Bad:
One of the Sway-A-Way torsion bars snapped earlier this week. Josh @ ADD is looking into warranty replacement for me.
Front seats only. (threw 2nd and 3rd rows in the dumpster with intent to build a platform)
Carpets aren't minty. No real bad wear or tears, just need a good steam cleaning, or just plain old replaced. (i was going to replace, i hate tan anyways)
Normal bumps and bruises for a 185k mile truck that was actually used.
I believe i drove in the front wheel seals a little far when doing the bearings.
Has some small leaks still. Oil pan weeps, but isn't leaving spots on the ground, nor is there a huge amount on the skid plates. Same for trans. I check fluids regularly and it hasn't needed a top off between oil changes for me.

Those of you in the Eastern US where these are hard to find.... this is your chance to cannibalize your rusty truck and move to a CA chassis with a bunch of quality (and expensive) bells and whistles without needing to drive 40 hours.

$2500, come and get it. Bring a trailer and wheels. Open to reducing price a couple hundred if i can yoink the stereo out of it to put in my HDJ81.

If i end up messing with replacing the bars, setting height again, re-aligning, and replacing the front wheel seals, $3500 you bring wheels, or $4000 with the 15" wheels wrapped in Nokian MTs from the HDJ81.

How about $2000 bring your own wheels and a trailer? Any less and i'll part the truck out and scrap it, which is sad, being that it's a CA truck.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Yeah it's not ideal. Hoping i hear something back about it soon, because while it's not mission critical, this is my DD for the little driving i do until my HDJ81 can be retrieved from Canada. So, on a general level, i'm without transportation for the moment while my wife is at work.

I would not (and will not, assuming they take care of business) hesitate to put another set on the truck. Freak metallurgy issue is the only explanation, and i'm a magnet for that sort of thing, i've found.

2.5 months later, i don't have replacement parts.

$2k, come get it and bring wheels/tires. It will drive up on a trailer just fine. I will pass along an OME hookup on new bars. I'm done with this. The lack of support for this platform isn't something i'm willing to chance for a vehicle i would use for anything beyond in-town trips to get groceries long term.

Price non-negotiable other than knocking off a couple hundred bucks if i get to gut the stereo to move over to one of the 80s. I'll make more than $2k off of it selling parts and the scrap metal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles