Monteros on craigslist

lev

2000 Montero 2.5 Endeavor, 171k miles, $3220, Seattle area: seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6446689420.html

nckwltn

Explorer
Shameless Plug - Mine: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/2003-mitsubishi-montero/6464885616.html

2003 Limited - 185k miles - $3200

Let me know if you have any questions. Has been a pretty good vehicle the last 3 years, but got my wife into something newer and more comfortable for her. It's 15 years old, and has had normal wear and tear. Timing belt was done about 3 years and 40k miles ago. Have had intermittent check-engine light related to vacuum and possible coil-pack, it's intermittent and I can't repeat it. Didn't have any trouble passing smog. Let me know if you have any questions, won't sugar coat the issues. Probably a good platform for someone who has time to trouble-shoot the minor issues.

PM me for questions

Ravenix

'98 w/ Winter Package in Utah

Bummer... Just drove to Alaska from Utah after purchasing a 2000 for 2.5K and then dumping that same amount into new shocks, tires and deferred maintenance...

This '98 looks good to go with all the maintenance done and good tires. Red as well! Somebody go buy it for the 3K he's asking! :Wow1:

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/4429703?ad_cid=3

billy bee

Adventurer
Should I buy (and possibly flip) '88 2-door, 4-cyl, 5-speed?

How sought after are the Gen 1 Monteros? A neighbor has a 1988 2-door, 4-cyl, 5-speed for sale. <150k miles. It needs some work. Brakes, tune-up, chase some oil leaks. I was thinking of buying it, doing the repairs, and seeing how much I like it. I have been doing some research. Parts are cheap. So, I think I can buy it, fix it, and be all in on the cheap. Then, if I like it, I'd keep it. If not, I want something that's easy to sell.

So, I see some rabid Mits guys here. I have always thought the Montero was as good as a Land Cruiser and a lot less expensive. Am I delusional?

Thanks in advance,
bb

Swank Force One

Adventurer
The equivalent Montero is nearly as good (mostly just different rather than inferior) as a Land Cruiser. A 4 cylinder SWB Montero doesn't really have a Land Cruiser equivalent. I think they're neat, and would buy one, but struggle to determine what i'd actually use it for besides looking cool.

billy bee

Adventurer
I think they're neat, and would buy one, but struggle to determine what i'd actually use it for besides looking cool.

I'd make it a dog car. I think our dogs would love to have their own sliding windows in the back...

Aside from that, I'd just use is as a trail rig for wheeling in the local mountains. I think you are inferring that it's not an expo-friendly vehicle. I agree. But it might make a good camping truck with a RTT on board.

bb

Swank Force One

Adventurer
It's not that i think they're unusable as an expo rig, if i personally were doing a dedicated Expo-only rig, it would likely be an underpowered Toyota 4 cylinder with a manual of some sort. This is along the same vein. But the things that make that underpowered/understressed/simple/small/nimble rig awesome are what makes it terrible for the other things i'd like to use my truck for. Plus i already have a Gen2.5.

I think they're cool enough to buy anyways.

That said, that one looks too rough for me to want to deal with unless it was near scrap value. Rust makes me run away screaming.

billy bee

Adventurer
Id pay like 650 or so for that...good run around 4x4 for that price.

Seems to still be available. Spoke to the owner. Seems like a nice enough guy. If it's not popular among Montero guys, I don't want to risk buying it and not being able to unload it if I don't like it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste