Monteros on craigslist

aarwyatt

If you can't get it for $700 or so, it may not make financial sense to get this particular truck.
Replacing a head gasket is not impossible to do yourself, but it takes time and there are a lot of $$$ of parts you'll want to invest in swapping while you're down there. Plus you have to tow it.

Cloth seats are wonderful. I have them in one of my other cars (in a car that traditionally wouldn't have them), and they are great. Comfortable and warm in winter, cool in summer.

I'll try to budget $1000 for the vehicle and towing, I'll be doing all the repairs..been an Audi tech for 9+ years (not that that qualifies me for anything though :^) ) and I usually get our cars in a similar fashion. It's relatively close and planned on doing a lot of work on one I find anyways.

House next to our development has what looks like a 95ish LS parked in their driveway that appears to have been sitting a bit but they must have gone south for winter or something as nobody has been home for a few weeks now.

Also Dolomiti just noticed your signature, an E23 BMW was my first european car and got me into working on cars (lots of stuff to break on those). It was an 86 735i, ended up converting it to 5-speed after the trans went out, and found some euro bumpers and 16" BBS wheels. Always loved the 745i, does it have the full water buffalo interior, rear power seat controls, etc.?

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the reply TNMonteto. You actually did make my day. No apologies are necessary, I didn't feel personally attacked.

You know, going back and reading my reply, I had intended to be completely factual but it had a strange tone and I could understand how it left that impression. It's a great truck. It needs a good owner. I know I can find one on this forum.

FWIW, Jay's been a long time Mitsu owner from way back in the day. I'd trust what he says on his rig if I were buying it.

That said, you're right to be cautious since you don't know him. In fact you don't know me either, but you can look back on my history here and on 4x4wire's Mitsu tech forums where I have the same forum name and don't hesitate to ask questions.

HTH!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I can't remember what Willwinchforfoods dads name is but iirc he is a wire member and I believe was mid 3.5 motor swap into a gen 1. Could be the same but some reason the user name Nate something or other sticks out in my mind.
His dad's name is Eddy. Aka FastEddy. He's mostly on 4x4wire's Mitsu tech forum.

Dolomiti

Adventurer
Also Dolomiti just noticed your signature, an E23 BMW was my first european car and got me into working on cars (lots of stuff to break on those). It was an 86 735i, ended up converting it to 5-speed after the trans went out, and found some euro bumpers and 16" BBS wheels. Always loved the 745i, does it have the full water buffalo interior, rear power seat controls, etc.?

Cool. Mine has been 5spd converted (none of the 745i were factory 5spd, there was a manual M88/3 version should in ZA and a manual Alpina tuned version sold in the UK). It is an executive, but the packages vary. Mine has full buffalo leather interior and rear seat controls (can control radio and move passenger seat from the rear) but does not have heated rear or reclining rear seat.

I've found the engine bay to be more mechanically friendly than Monteros, and stuff breaks a lot less frequently (timing chains anyone?).

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ok, thread hi-jack over...back to bargain Montys on CL.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94