Montero vs Montero Sport - and what issues do these rigs have?

Andy G

Adventurer
From what I can tell, the Montero is the larger version of the Sport...yes? No? Help!

Also, any significant/serious issues with the Montero's a prospective owner should be aware of?

I've got an '02 Trooper, and the Montero is truly the only other rig out there of similar size (as far as I can tell) and capability. But, my Trooper's infamous automatic transmission gives me pause to really get off the beaten path too far...because the auto tranny sucks. :sombrero:

I'm gonna be looking at Montero's from West of the Mississippi - away from all the salt they use on the roads here in Michigan and the rust belt.

Thanks!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Google "Montero buyers guide" and it will bring up some great info, it has all been covered at length and you will find yourself losing sleep with your mind racing at the prospect of owning such an awesome rig.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Copied from another thread, it's all Gen II stuff, but a bunch of it is transferable to Gen III, once you have more specific questions, you'll get more specific answers :)

Here's a couple good links for you:

Montero Buyers Guide

Gen 2 Quick Start Guide

Those are both links from the Adventure driven design guys, which are legit Montero gurus. They also design and manufacture some fantastic aftermarket stuff for the Mitsubishi world. Good luck!

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Welcome!

To answer your question, do not worry, this confuses many people.

they're similar, but they're not even the same chassis.

Montero = built on full size montero frame and chassis requirements

Montero Sport = Built on L200 / Pick-up chassis. Only lighter duty on any level due to literally lighter parts.

The sport is a great alternative to a toyota 4runner, the Montero is the alternative to the land cruiser. That's my best way to describe it.

And thanks for the kind words guys!

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
These guys got you some great reference for info.

I have owned both...a 2000 Sport 4WD and currently a 98 Montero "Winter package" and my wife owns a 02 Gen 3 Limited.

If you are looking to get into a Montero similar to the size of your Trooper...get the full size Montero. The Sport is smaller inside and not as "roomy" as the Montero.

eporter

Adventurer
It seems these are underrated rigs and the Toyotas get the spotlight. I guess that helps when buying used! I've been thinking of upgrading from my '83 FJ60 and the FJ80s are spendy compared to the Monteros. I like what I see in the late 90s/early 00s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy G

Adventurer
Thanks everyone - THAT'S what I was looking for!! I love my Trooper and if I can find a nice manual trans one, I may pick that up when the time comes. Thinking a Montero is a nice option to have in my back pocket.

Both the Trooper and Montero are definitely outside of the limelight - which is probably what draws me to them!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
The Sport with the 3.5 uses beefy components and is lighter/quicker than the full size with better fuel economy even though it already has 4.90s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles