Montero Sport

Storz

Explorer
Couple quick questions on the 4wd system in the sport. I would imagine it has a center differential, so it can be used on pavement? Does it have a true low range? LSD or locking rear differential? Can you lock the center diff? I've read just about everything on the site about them as well and they seem well loved by the people who own them, and are quite a bargin in the used market right now.

Main uses would be exploring forest roads, the beach, and some very light trails. No crawling etc

78Bronco

Explorer
The transfer case has a center differential. It will allow for 2 wheel drive to rear axle only, 4 wheel with center diff open(AWD), 4 wheel with center diff locked(4HiLock), and 4 low with center diff locked(4LoLock).

If you find a 95 or newer SR model it will come standard with a factory rear air locker, 3.5L v6 and 31x10.5R15 rubber stock. I have 33x10.5's on my Montero now with out any lift. Mine is the Japanese model with a 2.8 Diesel. They are reasonably priced. Keep in mind the aftermarket support is very limited. I love mine!:victory:

Storz

Explorer
The transfer case has a center differential. It will allow for 2 wheel drive to rear axle only, 4 wheel with center diff open(AWD), 4 wheel with center diff locked(4HiLock), and 4 low with center diff locked(4LoLock).

If you find a 95 or newer SR model it will come standard with a factory rear air locker, 3.5L v6 and 31x10.5R15 rubber stock. I have 33x10.5's on my Montero now with out any lift. Mine is the Japanese model with a 2.8 Diesel. They are reasonably priced. Keep in mind the aftermarket support is very limited. I love mine!:victory:

Thanks for the info, that is for hte Montero Sport (also called the Challenger depending on where you're at) right? Not the Montero...

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I think 78Bronco is talking about the full sized Montero. But I think he is right about the transfercase. Some Montero Sports were AWD and some were part time 4wd. In the AWd models I belive the center diff does lock. And on some of the part time 4wd models a rear locker was an option. I don't know a lot about the Montero Sports though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94