Montero reliable?

HMSEndeavour

What gen is a 2003 sport?

The Montero sport is not a true Montero despite what the name suggests.

Gen1, Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 4 Montero are 100% different from the sport, they are known as the Pajero worldwide. The Montero Sport is actually known as the Mitsubishi challenger outside of NA and is comparable in size to a gen 3 4runner. I would assume it would need a lift for 32s and 33s (maybe even for 31's).

Montero Sport:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Challenger

Montero
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Pajero

Amateuroverland

I really do appreciate all your guys input. I was naturally curious at first because I had heard so many things about Mitsubishi's not being very good and I read about the Dakar wins and I was intrigued and I've always like the Montero and now I really want one despite what everyone says. Thanks so much!

Doing_Dirt

I really do appreciate all your guys input. I was naturally curious at first because I had heard so many things about Mitsubishi's not being very good and I read about the Dakar wins and I was intrigued and I've always like the Montero and now I really want one despite what everyone says. Thanks so much!

Be sure to post a few pics when you get one.

Amateuroverland

There's not really any montero (Pajero) for sale in my area. Just a lot of Montero sports for sale. Are they capable of some minor overlanding and maybe short travel to Canada or Mexico?

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Let me answer that question with this:
My thoughts on the Gen III Montero (you'll enjoy reading that whole thread)
My "new" '02 Montero
I think, once you accept, tackle, and get past the few maintenance gremlins of a Montero, they are ultimately reliable, reasonable to repair, and a surprisingly good example of well thought out off-road engineering and design, combined with all the luxury creature comforts you could want, at a fraction of the price of equally capable competitors in the marketplace. (so there!).

DRLexpress

Observer
.... with 03+ all getting the better 5spd trans ....

Can you educate me on this? I'm new to Mits. I just got a Gen 1 (Dodge Raider), V6, 5sp and like the way it shifts. I always liked manuals. Other than using the right lube for the syncros what else do I need to look for? What is different between the two? If the newer trans is so much better can it be fitted into mine?

Doug

Doing_Dirt

Can you educate me on this? I'm new to Mits. I just got a Gen 1 (Dodge Raider), V6, 5sp and like the way it shifts. I always liked manuals. Other than using the right lube for the syncros what else do I need to look for? What is different between the two? If the newer trans is so much better can it be fitted into mine?

Doug
I could be wrong, but I think he was talking about a 5 speed auto. I don't hear much about manuals in that year.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Just returned from a 1500 mile trip to Mitsubishi Owners' Day in Cypress CA with our 99 Montero "Goldi-Locker" the rig went into the moutains, we took the longest and hardest route we could find, spent many miles off-road and most of the rest on forest service roads.

Zero loss of fluids, zero hiccups, zero complaints, AC blasting full most of the time (it was hot out there in the desert) - I did have to work the transmission gears because my truck is running 4.27's with 33's, but that's not Goldi's fault... regardless, the 'ole girl did just fine.

They're reliable, if you are. Maintain them, follow the FSM, use quality parts and they'll reward you.

On the other hand... Skip maintenance, they'll let it go for a bit... use cheap parts, they'll reject them... repair them in a half-cocked manner, disregard torque specs, dont bother to double check your work, and you'll have nothing but problems.

As for the 03+ getting a 5 speed trans; it's a jatco trans they are commonly used in nissans,
You can find it listed, without much info, here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jatco_transmissions

a bit different from the Aisin we had in the gen 1 and 2, the sports also got a different transmission around 00, I think, but it's a different trans all together (chrysler based, if i remember right)

And here's a buyers guide explaining things, with pictures.
http://www.adventuredrivendesign.com/mitsubishi-4wd-buyers-guide/

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
As for the 03+ getting a 5 speed trans; it's a jatco trans they are commonly used in nissans,
You can find it listed, without much info, here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jatco_transmissions

a bit different from the Aisin we had in the gen 1 and 2, the sports also got a different transmission around 00, I think, but it's a different trans all together (chrysler based, if i remember right)

I researched this topic like a crazy person a while ago because i own one of these oddball transmissions. Been doing a tech document the past few weeks too so that way we all have easy access to that info.

The Gen 3 and facelift Sports (2000+) got Mitsubishi Diamondmatic V4A51 and V5A51 transmissions, same transmissions 4 and 5 speed variations. Sports and Gen 3 XLS got 4 speeds and all Gen 3 Limited got the 5 speed. In mid 2003 Diamondmatic was merged with Jatco, Jatco took over production of Mitsubishi Diamondmatic AT's and CVT's sometime after. 2003-2006 Monteros seemingly all have the remaining V5A51s and the upcoming Gen 4 was slated for a Jatco designed 5 speed automatic.

The Gen 4 interestingly enough got an automatic Aisin 5 speed V5AWF behind the diesel. The new Sport and Triton also went back to Aisin with the Sport getting the new Aisin 8 speed like in the latest Landcruiser.

Now I'm still learning Sports so maybe Edward will chime in on the subject and obviously we didn't get Gen 2 or Gen 3 Sports nor Gen 4 Monteros so all i know on those is what I've read on Mitsubishi's site and from Mark's4wd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94