Montero Model Year/Generation Reference?

DSouth

Observer
In my quest for a new off-roader, I've been looking very closely at the Montero's. Problem is there really isn't a great single reference to what all the differences are between the years, and generations as far as US Spec Models are concerned. With that in mind I'd like your help in generating a table that will list out all the information in a useable format. I'll start the table and keep it updated with your replies to this thread.

That is, unless there already exists a post or document like this somewhere that I haven't come across.

US Spec Montero

GenerationEnginesBody Style
Transmission Offered

M = Manual
A = Auto
Transfer Case

2H = High-Range 2 (RWD)
4H = High-Range (AWD) unlocked center diff
4HLc = High-Range (4WD) locked center diff
4LLc = Low-Range (4WD) locked center diff
Diff Locks Offered

F = Front
R = Rear
L = Limited Slip
Gen 1 1982-1991SWB 2 Door

LWB 4 Door
M (5-speed)
A (4-speed)
2H+4HLc+4LLc (Manual Locking Hubs)
Gen 2 1991-1999M (5-speed)
A (4-speed)
Super Select(50/50 Torque Split) - 2H+4H+4HLc+4LLc (w/ Manual Locking Hubs)R = Rear
Gen 2.5Super Select(50/50 Torque Split) - 2H+4H+4HLc+4LLcR = Rear
Gen 3 1999 - 20063.5 Litre v6
3.8 Litre v6
A (4-speed w/tiptronic)
A (5-speed w/tiptronic; Limited model only)
Super Select II(33/67 Torque Split) - 2H+4H+4HLc+4LLcL (2000-2002)

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I would be particularly interested in hearing the differences between 03-06 models i.e. when the LSD was dropped, when traction control showed up, limited vs. standard options etc.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Wikipedia is your friend. Look for Pajero though, not Montero. Montero is the vehicle's 2nd name because the Japanese didn't realize Pajero could mean something bad in Spanish.

Also the model dates in the US are one year behind the rest of the world so a 95 Montero in the US is usually equivalent to a 94 Pajero elsewhere.

jlocster

Explorer
Dsouth, this is a great idea, thanks for taking this on. It will be a useful resource for many.

Gen 2 is MY (model year) 1992 to 1997
MY 1992 to 1993 Gen 2 models came in Base, RS, LS, SR trim
MY 1994 to 1997 Gen 2 models came in LS and SR trim
MY 1994/95/96 SR models were available with DOHC engines and rear locker.
MY 1997 is a hybrid year with Gen 2 body but Gen 2.5 drivetrain.

Gen 2.5 is MY 1998 to mid year 2000
Gen 2.5 has SOHC 3.5L engine
LS and SR trim designations were retired
MY 1998/99 optional Winter Package came with rear locker
MY 2000 rear locker was unavailable
MY 2000 was available with optional Endeavor package

AFAIK, all Gen 2 and 2.5s came from the factory fitted with automatic locking hubs, not manual

Last edited:

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Great idea!
This is such a common question... it'll be nice to have everything on one document.
Just for clarification, the Gen. III model with the 3.5L came with a 5-speed auto box (in the Limited model only).

DSouth

Observer
Does it make sense to split Gen 3 into Gen 3 and Gen 3.5? Besides the engine changes wasn't there also a change in the availability of limited slip rear diff, and also a change in rear diff gear ratios?

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Wikipedia is your friend. Look for Pajero though, not Montero. Montero is the vehicle's 2nd name because the Japanese didn't realize Pajero could mean something bad in Spanish.

Also the model dates in the US are one year behind the rest of the world so a 95 Montero in the US is usually equivalent to a 94 Pajero elsewhere.

I always pronounced Pajero with a soft J (pa-HAIR-oh). Though I hear people say "pa-JER-oh" a lot. If Mitsu really changed the name because of it's similarity to a Spanish word, then it couldn't be "pa-JER-oh", right? Since in Spanish, it would be "pa-HAIR-oh?"

Thank goodness I only have to worry about saying "Montero." :)

Anyway...OP...this should help with the engine information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_6G7_engine

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Dsouth, I'm pretty sure manual hubs in Gen 2's were never a US option concerns they utilize a CAD system instead of disconnecting the hubs.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I always pronounced Pajero with a soft J (pa-HAIR-oh). Though I hear people say "pa-JER-oh" a lot. If Mitsu really changed the name because of it's similarity to a Spanish word, then it couldn't be "pa-JER-oh", right? Since in Spanish, it would be "pa-HAIR-oh?"

Thank goodness I only have to worry about saying "Montero." :)

Anyway...OP...this should help with the engine information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_6G7_engine
As far as I know its pronounced with a hard J sound. It was changed because Spanish speakers would automatically pronounce it the way you are and its too close to the spanish word (in some dialects) for someone who masturbates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles