Montero issues to look for before buying

Andy G

Adventurer
Okay all, so I really love the Montero, and I'm hoping in the next few months to be able to purchase one.

But...I need to know, what are the issues to look for while shopping around? I'm most likely gonna be doing a buy/fly and drive from the SW USA, as I'm done buying used local (thanks, Michigan).

My Trooper was awesome but...yep, it was an automatic transmission. Got rid of that thing just as it was grenading itself.

Any significant issues with the Monteros? Electrical gremlins that would prohibit it from running? Mechanical failures? Engine / trans issues?

Thanks!
Andy

GrantC

Observer
Since they've been made over a very long period of time, with a variety of engines and transmissions, it would help if you'd narrow it down a bit. What vintage are you looking for (generation or model year)?

Andy G

Adventurer
Since they've been made over a very long period of time, with a variety of engines and transmissions, it would help if you'd narrow it down a bit. What vintage are you looking for (generation or model year)?

Fair enough...although no, I don't really have it narrowed down yet... I'd say probably not Gen I, so most likely in the Gen II - III range.

chadzeilenga

Get one that has had the least amount of maintenance done (neglected OEM is better than poor wormanship and cheap parts) or one with solid maintenance history (dealer, specialty shop, known enthusiast).

Agree with the above as I'm currently living it. ha I knew better when I bought mine, but I was too busy drooling over the rust free body and chassis that I overlooked the obvious issues.

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
Agree with the above as I'm currently living it. ha I knew better when I bought mine, but I was too busy drooling over the rust free body and chassis that I overlooked the obvious issues.

Don't leave us hangin', what obvious issues did you miss?

cnskate

Adventurer
Brush your hand against the bottom of the alternator before you buy it. If you find any oil expect to pay $1500 or so for a shop to replace valve cover gaskets, cam seals, and the related timing belt, plugs, etc., or $300 or so in parts and most of your weekend if you do it yourself. Oil leakage in those two spots kills your alternator. Joy.

chadzeilenga

Don't leave us hangin', what obvious issues did you miss?

Ha ha! Oops, the issues I'm having are related to the work done by prior owner. The closest to factory assembly/build the better you are in my opinion. When he mentioned that he replaced head gaskets, I should have asked more questions as I assumed the work was done properly. Instead, they over-decked the heads by 0.008" and re-used the head bolts which resulted in the issue coming back. Also, the block had a bunch of stop-leak which he told me was some rust in the coolant...oh well. I have to remember why I bought it in the first place and that is it had a rock solid body so I knew I could take care of any of the mechanical items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles