Montero Gen 2.5 (NL) Capacities, Part Numbers and Specialty Tools List

Gen 2.5 automatic transmission drain plug bolt crush washer: MD951858
I had a helluva time trying to find anything that would fit the AT drain plug bolt as my washer was done for. I tried Autozone, O'Reilly's, OSH, HomeDepot, Dorman online catalog. How could something so small cause me so much headache?? OEM is a crush washer like on the engine oil drain plug vs a simple aluminum or copper washer and are $3-$4 from the dealer or online OEM vendors.

Last edited:

DONT_TREAD

Observer
Fwiw, I figured out the cause of my lack of power and poor fuel economy. The keyway was damaged on my crankshaft timing sprocket, effectively retarding my timing by nearly 2 teeth. Just posting this as a heads up to check this when you do the timing belt job. After fixing mine, my power and fuel economy have both increased dramatically. Here is a picture of what I found.

8901d2ab233792307a27aec9f481e921.jpg

hey guys I'm going to need one of these too but the part numbers I'm finding don't directly match what jlocster posted. And the link he put is broken. any help is appreciated.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
hey guys I'm going to need one of these too but the part numbers I'm finding don't directly match what jlocster posted. And the link he put is broken. any help is appreciated.

I just replaced these items recently on my soon-to-be scrapped Monty. I was hoping to pull up the web order and give you the part numbers, but wouldn't you know, www.mitsubishiparts.net website is down and being retooled! Here is what was in the confirmation email:

Items Ordered:
Item: engine, camshaft & timing, crankshaft gear All Models 3.5L SOHC, 3.8L
Price: $59.36
Qty: 1

Total (before taxes or discounts): $59.36

Item: engine, crankshaft & bearings, sensor ring Montero 3.5L SOHC, 3.8L
Price: $9.35
Qty: 1

Total (before taxes or discounts): $9.35

-----------------------------
Items Total: $68.71
Shipping Method: GROUND SHIPPING (48 States)
Shipping: $15.00
_________
Order Total: $83.71

Also note, my Crank Sensor was toast, so I replaced that too. It was more expensive at Mitsubishiparts.net than RockAuto, so I got mine from RockAuto. Part #5S1858 from Airtex/Wells. Cost $47.99

jlocster

Explorer
Don't-tread, would you mind posting the part numbers you found that don't match so I can update the thread if need be. Also, which link was broken? I want to fix that, too.

Thanks

DONT_TREAD

Observer
Check this link for parts --> link

If you mean the crankshaft timing belt sprocket, see item #21 on the diagram, part# MD184194.

If you mean the crankshaft pulley, see item #41 on the diagram, part# MD368262.

the link doesn't work anymore, and from all the digging i could do the correct P# for the sprocket is MD184894

snare

Adventurer
Just noticed, this is incorrect "MOOG K9735 Ball Joint, Upper (right/left are same part #)"

The correct upper ball joint number is K9753.

Also, to add, Front Swaybar Links, Autoparts International, 2700-74711 and 2700-74770. (RockAuto had (has?) them on clearance for less than $2 each)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles