Montero died on the trail- electrical gremlins?

bikerjosh

Explorer
Montero died on the trail, no warning about 15 miles from nearest pavement above 10k feet.

Checked all fuses/relays in under-hood fuse box, battery cables, grounds, swapped out ECM with another 2.5 Montero and that checked out.

Symptoms:
1. car will crank, but no start;
2. ultra-gauge (like scan gauge) was running and previous to cut out was showing normal parameters, after car died it wouldn't connect back to car and just showed boot up screen.
3. when turning key to "on" position check engine light does not light, previous to this it did.
4. plugging other code readers into OBD2 port under the dash only results in "link error" no error codes.

What would cause the OBD2 port to not communicate w/readers, is the absence of CEL a hint of where to look?
Anyone ever had this happen with the same symptoms? If so what was it?
Car had to be towed back to Bay Area and is now sitting in my driveway waiting for me to dig in. \
thanks

tyty13

Adventurer
Montero died on the trail, no warning about 15 miles from nearest pavement above 10k feet.

Checked all fuses/relays in under-hood fuse box, battery cables, grounds, swapped out ECM with another 2.5 Montero and that checked out.

Symptoms:
1. car will crank, but no start;
2. ultra-gauge (like scan gauge) was running and previous to cut out was showing normal parameters, after car died it wouldn't connect back to car and just showed boot up screen.
3. when turning key to "on" position check engine light does not light, previous to this it did.
4. plugging other code readers into OBD2 port under the dash only results in "link error" no error codes.

What would cause the OBD2 port to not communicate w/readers, is the absence of CEL a hint of where to look?
Anyone ever had this happen with the same symptoms? If so what was it?
Car had to be towed back to Bay Area and is now sitting in my driveway waiting for me to dig in. \
thanks

Could be the ignition power transistor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier