Montero Buyers Guide

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
The post idea is a great one. A one stop spot for everything to look for when buying any of the 3 gens.

Like this one for the WJ:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...71979/#/forumsite/20623/topics/1271979?page=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a really good guide. It would be nice to have all that buyer's guide information together for the Montero/Pajero in one sticky thread. I have owned both versions of Gen 3, but I only have a little knowledge of Gen 1 and 2.

howirolla

Campfire Passport
Oh there is no comparison. You would need to spend 3-4 times as much to get a WJ or 4runner to be as capable as a stock Gen 2/2.5 SR Montero. Just research the cost of putting 33" tires, a locker, and a spare tire carrier on those vehicles.

Well that's not too fair of a comparison though. You have to look beyond that type of stuff too. BUT, I fit 33s on my WJ with no lift and you can get 4runners with a locking rear diff also...

I have owned a WJ and I freakin loved that thing. Now I am a Land Rover owner and having the same debates going with myself as Dibbs.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Not that i am ever good for contributing...

Here's a fair comparison era for era 1999
Steering axle joint size:
4 runner = 89mm CV Joint (No stock upgrade part)
WJ = Pathetic CV joint (Junkyard upgradeable to 1310 u joint)
Montero = 95mm CV (SOHC) (Junkyear upgradeable to 100mm (DOHC))

Ground clearance
4 Runner = 9.8" "Motor trend"
WJ = 9.03" "Motor Trend" (Somehow Class leading if you ask Jeep at the time)
Montero = 10.2" "Motor Trend"

Aftermarket
4 Runner = a whole lot
WJ = A TON!
Montero = just the things you might need

One thing i am realizing more and more is that building trucks is fun but 4 wheeling them is more fun, Montero will get you more places with less work (and less $$$).

KyleT

Explorer
I owned a gen3 4Runner in the past lifted on 34"s. and a gen2.5 Montero. The Montero does not compare to the 4Runner. It compares to the 80/100 series land cruiser. Much better built and over engineered. My only complaint was the ride was very truckish and the lack of good cupholders. The only reason I sold mine was to get into a gen3 that had latch for the car seat. The gen2.5 was tough to get the seat installed into. The gen3 4Runner took alotnof effort to get bigger tires to fit and it was small and cramped imo. I sold it for a discovery2. Sold the D2 for the gen2.5.

I firmly believe that the gen2/2.5 is probably the toughest vehicle stock available in the US right now.

The gen3 is miles ahead of the 2-2.5 in terms of comfort.

Dibbs

The only reason I sold mine was to get into a gen3 that had latch for the car seat. The gen2.5 was tough to get the seat installed into.

Having Latch was that important to you? I ask because we have one daughter now and another on the way. We use it in our Tacoma and it does make getting the seat base in and out easier. I was thinking gen4 4runner because of similarities in my Tacoma, but one can get a whole lot more truck for the same amount going non toyota.

howirolla

Campfire Passport
Basic Information: I believe this is accurate and enough to get a general idea while looking

Montero(US)/Shogun(UK)/Pajero(Everywhere else) is the full size SUV and all are 4WD.
Gen 1: 1982-1991
2 and 4 door versions
Inline 4 and 3.0L V6
5-speed Manual or 4-speed Auto
Rebadged and sold as Dodge Raider in US too
Solid Rear Axle
Independent Front Suspension
Body on Frame

Gen 2: 1992-1997
Only 5 door versions in US
3.0L and 3.5L V6 engines
4-speed Auto
Super Select 4WD
SR trim has factory rear air locker
Solid Rear Axle
Body on Frame

Gen 2.5 (Gen 2 widebody): 1998-2000
3.5L V6 engine
4-speed Auto
Super Select 4WD
Winter Package has factory rear air locker
Solid Rear Axle
Body on Frame

Gen 3: 2001-2006
3.5L (01-02) and 3.8L (03+) V6 engines
4-Speed Auto in XLS (01-02), 5-speed Auto in Limited and 03+
Super Select 4WD in XLS, Super Select 4WD II in Limited and 03+
Hybrid LSD in some vehicles from 01-02
Traction Control used in 03+
Independent Rear Suspension

Gen 4: 2006-Present
Not available in US

Montero Sport (US)/Challenger (Everywhere else)
Gen 1: 1996-2008
Mid-size SUV
2WD and 4WD models
3.0L and 3.5L V6
4-speed Auto
Solid Rear Axle
Body on Frame

Best one for your wife is a Gen 3 Montero. Comfortable and easy to drive. 03+ with traction control are more desirable. Any Gen 3 with 5-speed can be driven in AWD (4H) on road for added safety. Montero Sports are a renamed Challenger SUV. Not bad vehicles, but not the same as a Montero/Pajero. No idea why they used this naming convention in US.

there a year(s) and trim level that had a locker option in the sports as well, cant remember what that was though

EDIT
just found a 99 sport limited that has a locker, so at least that year.

Last edited:

KyleT

Explorer
Having Latch was that important to you? I ask because we have one daughter now and another on the way. We use it in our Tacoma and it does make getting the seat base in and out easier. I was thinking gen4 4runner because of similarities in my Tacoma, but one can get a whole lot more truck for the same amount going non toyota.

Essentially yes. Overall just an easier truck to have a kid with. Plus the car seat takes up a little over one spot, not half the backseat like in the 2.5. Two skinny people can still sit in the backseat next to the car seat and wear seat belts. Latch plus the rear seat design letting the car seat fit better made it an easy decision to upgrade. My brother has a gen4 v8 4Runner without third row. It is noticeably smaller than the Montero. They have two kids and it is pretty much packed full all the time. Nice truck though but he paid 4x what I paid for my 03.

KyleT

Explorer
It's all over the place but I paid 4300 for my 03 with 137k on it, 4wd has a fault and the interior wasn't pristine.

Paid 5800 for my 2006 that was really nice with 160k on it. Plus TTL both from small lots that couldn't sell them. There isn't a market for them here. They both need stuff done but they have both been driving us around fine.

Edit both limiteds with all possible options.

howirolla

Campfire Passport
So here's a question for those of you that have owned/own/or spent enough time in the other rig options.
What seems to have the most or comparative interior space out of the WJ, monteros (sports too!), discos, and 4runners?

KyleT

Explorer
4tunner and sport are about the same, the WJ has a little more room, The disco and full size montero has more room than them. The disco is wider and taller in the back but shorter. The Montero is slightly narrower but longer inside.

howirolla

Campfire Passport
4tunner and sport are about the same, the WJ has a little more room, The disco and full size montero has more room than them. The disco is wider and taller in the back but shorter. The Montero is slightly narrower but longer inside.

nice break down!
I was more thinking like interior passenger space, but the cargo space is helpful as well thank you!

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
there a year(s) and trim level that had a locker option in the sports as well, cant remember what that was though

EDIT
just found a 99 sport limited that has a locker, so at least that year.

I think the Gen 2 and Montero Sport rear differentials are the same so it is likely that there are ones with lockers. There were also more available gear ratios for the solid axles than the Gen 3 IRS. Gen 3 are always 4.90 with a 4-speed and 4.3 with a 5-speed unless someone made a swap. The Australian groups also have a lot of information for these vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles