Montero Buyers Guide

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I think the Gen 2 and Montero Sport rear differentials are the same so it is likely that there are ones with lockers. There were also more available gear ratios for the solid axles than the Gen 3 IRS. Gen 3 are always 4.90 with a 4-speed and 4.3 with a 5-speed unless someone made a swap. The Australian groups also have a lot of information for these vehicles.

Unfortunately the Montero SR locker doesn't directly swap into the Montero Sport. Something about one of the axle shafts. However ARB works although the hybrid LSD is good enough for most stuff.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
We have an '06 Montero full size, not Sport. My wife drives the kids around in it because it is roomy, easy to drive, and the traction control is very very good, the Montero is so sure footed and confidence inspiring especially when shifted into 4H when there is some rain or a few inches of snow out there.

I also love driving the '06. It is a smooth ride, capable, solid, etc. No complaints here and very practical for Colorado.

I have also had a couple Gen 2's and currently own a '99 Gen 2.5. For me, it's a great truck, but it does have an old school feel to it. For many, including me, this is part of its appeal. Gen 2's/2.5's are also extremely sure footed when you use the transfer case properly. They do not have traction control though, as mentioned, so you must be cognizant of that and drive the vehicle accordingly. Fine for me, again, but the traction control makes the Gen 3 a more secure, effortlessly driven choice for my wife and kids.

As for LATCH, I understand the benefits but overall, after dealing with kids seating for about 5 years now, I am not concerned about having LATCH or not having it.

jvh22a

im in the market to get a montero. but dont understand why i keep seeing everyone recommend the montero over the sport? i see quit a few more sport 4x4 then i do the gen 2.5. so what is the difference, besides size and spare tire location?

KyleT

Explorer
The Montero sport isn't really a Montero. It is based on a different frame, the truck one. It isn't much weaker just has big differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jvh22a

what are the differences? i have a toyota sequoia 4wd for the family trips and wanted to get a montero for local day or 2 trips and be the daily driver. i like the idea of having the tire on the back door but anything major i would be getting the 1999 2.5 montero or a 2000 sport. thanks

KyleT

Explorer
97-99 sports have rear Leaf springs, 00-04 are rear coils.

The differences are everything. Sport is smaller and the montero is bigger. They are both overbuilt but they are not based on the same platform.

It's like a land cruiser vs a 4Runner. Similarities but different.

soulbazz

Hi all - I'm in the market for a 2003 + Montero. Unfortunately it seems that these are now falling into the age/mileage range that is forcing me to deal with some shady used car salesmen and dishonest people. Without getting into too many details I recently looked at a vehicle where the 4WD indicator on the dash was not functioning properly, frankly I'm not even sure the whole super select 4WD system was engaging properly either, though i'm not positive.

Can someone describe or show in pictures how the dash indicators are supposed to function in each of the drive modes?

The vehicle I looked at showed the following:
2H - single green light illuminating the left tire
4H - blinking orange light in the center
4HLC - blinking orange light in the center
4LLC - blinking orange light in the center

The car also failed to return to 2H, only restarting the vehicle reset the system.

Thanks in advance for the help.

KyleT

Explorer
2h has two rear green lights.
4h has 4 green lights
4h lock has 4 green and an orange solid center diff light.
4low lock I can't remember but I think it has a low range light.

If the center diff blinks in 2 high you can try 4h and see as often the front diff engage solonoids go bad. The system defaults to 4h with no vacuum from the engine.

soulbazz

2h has two rear green lights.
4h has 4 green lights
4h lock has 4 green and an orange solid center diff light.
4low lock I can't remember but I think it has a low range light.

If the center diff blinks in 2 high you can try 4h and see as often the front diff engage solonoids go bad. The system defaults to 4h with no vacuum from the engine.

Great! Thank you for the info

soulbazz

Also note the 2H green lights stay on all the time the vehicle is running. Many have a burned out bulb or two, right now I only have 1 2H light on, although I know the other bulb is just burned out. (on my long to-do list).

I thought this author did a good job explaining our super select 4WD system:
http://www.offroadaussie.com/2013/06/mitsubishi-super-select-4wd/

What part of the country are you shopping?

Thanks. Currently shopping in southern California.

soulbazz

Also note the 2H green lights stay on all the time the vehicle is running. Many have a burned out bulb or two, right now I only have 1 2H light on, although I know the other bulb is just burned out. (on my long to-do list).

I thought this author did a good job explaining our super select 4WD system:
http://www.offroadaussie.com/2013/06/mitsubishi-super-select-4wd/

What part of the country are you shopping?
Lots of good information in that link. Thank you. I'll need to get behind the wheel of a few more of these to really gets sense of how each mode feels when engaged. I don't have much experience with a low range box and it was difficult to tell whether or not the drivetrain was changing. I imagine there should be a noticeable difference between 2H and the 4wd and lower range settings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles