Montero 3rd gen lift question

kvr1969

Hello Everyone, new to participating in the forum here although I've been a longtime reader and appreciator of it.

My question is pertaining to our 3rd gen Montero Limited. We've had it for over ten years, it has almost 230k on it and is still going strong (the only real problem it's had is the ABS unit going out). The problem now is this: we've noticed over time that with people and gear in the back, the rear sits really low. The vehicle has a hitch on the back which we use for a mountain bike rack, and when loaded, the hitch reciever is only about 4 inches off the ground.

We decided therefore to put a 2" lift kit on it (with 33's), and, with the high mileage in mind, decided against a more expensive "doing it right" lift kit (i.e. Dobsons), and just went with lift blocks on top of the springs.

So after all this lead in, here is my question for you all. With tremendous effort and fenagling, I got the struts back in with the blocks installed, but on the rear, they are too long with the blocks in place to get the lower A-arm close enough back into position to jack the A-arm back into place. I used spring compressors to get the front in, but I'm concerned about how much I have to compress the rears to get them in place. Not sure what the load limit is on the compressor I'm using, it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere.

I've included a photo (middle one below) that I hope will show the problem. Also included are photos of the vehicle previous to the lift, and one with it as is now, up on jackstands with the front lift blocks in place. Thanks for any input in advance, much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2123.jpg
    IMG_2123.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2263.jpg
    IMG_2263.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2265.jpg
    IMG_2265.jpg
    1,020.8 KB · Views: 60

plh

Explorer
I think you answered your own question... Your rear springs are shot. Replace them. OME are less than $300 a pair.

kvr1969

Thanks for the reply jeep-N-Montero, although I do find it a tad bit condescending. Aren't all of us adults well aware of the cost of "cutting corners"? This being said, I don't see it as cutting corners, but just a matter of intentionally electing not to unnecessarily invest excessive money in a vehicle most likely near the end of its lifespan, and used rather infrequently.

I have noticed a pattern in vehicle repair forums that people offering advice are quick to criticize and make assumptions. Perhaps this is the price we pay for the invaluable free guidance. If so, it's worth it. Thanks again for the replies so far.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the reply jeep-N-Montero, although I do find it a tad bit condescending. Aren't all of us adults well aware of the cost of "cutting corners"? This being said, I don't see it as cutting corners, but just a matter of intentionally electing not to unnecessarily invest excessive money in a vehicle most likely near or even at the end of it's lifespan, and used rather inrequently.

I have noticed a pattern in vehicle repair forums that people offering advice are quick to criticize and make assumptions. Perhaps this is the price we pay for the invaluable free guidance. If so, it's worth it. Thanks again for the replies so far.

I had no reservation when I dropped money into our 23 year old Montero, if it dies we will either rebuild the engine or swap the parts to another chassis.

evomaki

Observer
Hey kvr1969, sorry you ran into jeep-N-montero on your first post. Let's just say he is consistent, and it is not you. OME makes a good product. You can also try Adventure Driven Design. I bought their Gen 3 lift kit and it worked great. It is tough getting the rear lift springs in, but maybe not as crazy as with the lift blocks. I mentioned on another post that I rubber cemented the lower spring perch in place on the rear control arm so it held its ground better during the installation of the longer and stiffer spring. It kept getting slipping off. Once installed, just fine. Consider replacing the spring perch rubber while you are at it. You will need a spring compressor to disassemble the fronts, but looks like you have one of those. Good luck.

kvr1969

Thanks evomaki, really appreciate the thoughtful reply and all the advice. Glad you mentioned the spring perch slipping out. That was another aspect of the problem that showed up, so I'll check out your post on that.

I'm going to work on it today and will keep thread followers posted on developments.

Schitzangiggles

King of Macastan
Oh and be careful with the spring compressor tool, I was nearly killed when the one I was using came apart and the "fork of death" ricocheted off of the floor, bounce up through the drywall in the ceiling hitting the bottom chord of a truss, held for a second and then dropped 12ft and hit me in the head and bounced off of my wrist before embedding itself into the box the springs came in.

kvr1969

Thank you very much for the cautionary/ potentially life-saving advice on the spring compressor usage Schitzangiggles. I think we're on the same page; I've always had serious misgivings about using spring compressors for the reasons you're stating, and this actually was my main problem with the spring installation. I didn't compress them enough initially out of fear, and this was why they wouldn't go in.

Finally I got the balls to compress the springs far enough, but put two camstraps between the compressors, tightening them as I went, in case one of the compressors failed. In my mind at least, the straps would have contained some of the released stored energy.

Attached is a photo of the first one with the spacer finally in, the second one went in no problem after I had the process figured out.

IMG_2268.jpg

Thanks again for the thoughts!

Oh and be careful with the spring compressor tool, I was nearly killed when the one I was using came apart and the "fork of death" ricocheted off of the floor, bounce up through the drywall in the ceiling hitting the bottom chord of a truss, held for a second and then dropped 12ft and hit me in the head and bounced off of my wrist before embedding itself into the box the springs came in.

kvr1969

Ok, so here's to posting my thoughts on the end result, in case other 3rd Gen owners out there are considering lift blocks.

Long story short, I wouldn't recommend it in the least. Although I've used lift blocks in other vehicles over the years and had no misgivings at all, this was one application where it didn't work out. The first problem is that the front ended sitting up higher than the rear, although the set I purchased claimed it would keep the vehicle level. The problem, and this was evident from the beginning prior to the install, but I regrettably ignored it, is that the front blocks were made of stiffer material than the rear blocks. In other words, the rear blocks compress and the fronts don't. POS lift block kit, problem being there aren't many available for the 3rd Gen, so you get what you get. The other related problem is that the front springs are now overly harsh; the springs don't compress at all with the vehicle weight. Not sure why this is, since the spring compression on the strut hasn't changed, it seems logical that the ride would stay the same. This isn't the case though.

The other thing is that with the 2" blocks in the front, there's a massive amount of negative camber. I'm guessing it might be too much to correct with the stock alignment adjustment limitations.

So anyway, here's a photo of the Montero after the completed installation:

IMG_2269.jpg

All this being said, the plan now has changed to installing this:

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 8.18.01 AM.png

Just ordered it. I'll keep posting on the process.

I'm guessing now some people out there are thinking, "You should have done this in the first place," but alas. I knew it was a money-saving gamble trying the spacers. At least maybe some others can learn from my experience and not make the same mistakes.

Thanks again for reading and to those of you offering the helpful input!

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Ok, so here's to posting my thoughts on the end result, in case other 3rd Gen owners out there are considering lift blocks.

Long story short, I wouldn't recommend it in the least. Although I've used lift blocks in other vehicles over the years and had no misgivings at all, this was one application where it didn't work out. The first problem is that the front ended sitting up higher than the rear, although the set I purchased claimed it would keep the vehicle level. The problem, and this was evident from the beginning prior to the install, but I regrettably ignored it, is that the front blocks were made of stiffer material than the rear blocks. In other words, the rear blocks compress and the fronts don't. POS lift block kit, problem being there aren't many available for the 3rd Gen, so you get what you get. The other related problem is that the front springs are now overly harsh; the springs don't compress at all with the vehicle weight. Not sure why this is, since the spring compression on the strut hasn't changed, it seems logical that the ride would stay the same. This isn't the case though.

The other thing is that with the 2" blocks in the front, there's a massive amount of negative camber. I'm guessing it might be too much to correct with the stock alignment adjustment limitations.

So anyway, here's a photo of the Montero after the completed installation:

View attachment 537484

All this being said, the plan now has changed to installing this:

View attachment 537488

Just ordered it. I'll keep posting on the process.

I'm guessing now some people out there are thinking, "You should have done this in the first place," but alas. I knew it was a money-saving gamble trying the spacers. At least maybe some others can learn from my experience and not make the same mistakes.

Thanks again for reading and to those of you offering the helpful input!

So the "buy once, cry once" philosophy doesn't sound so bad after all that headache? And make sure you compare the OME to the Dobinsons lift and ask for feedback on both before you buy.

kvr1969

So the "buy once, cry once" philosophy doesn't sound so bad after all that headache? And make sure you compare the OME to the Dobinsons lift and ask for feedback on both before you buy.

Nah, I wouldn't do anything different. Always up for a learning experience, and got the chance to refine my spring compressor safety technique so that makes it worth it right there.

kvr1969

Got the new kit in, here's some photos. Major improvment in the ride quality, like 100% better than it was, including when the bilsteins that were in there were new. Really impressed with the Dobinson's kit quality. Plus threw in some new half shafts on top of it. Thanks again to everyone for the input, really appreciate it.IMG_2293.jpgIMG_2295.jpgIMG_2296.jpgIMG_2297.jpgIMG_2298.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles