Monsoon Season in Arizona

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Many of mine were taken off my porch so when the strikes get too close I could run into the house and hide. :elkgrin:

Many really great shots are obviously taken out where you truly have great landscape, accentuated by the lightning. In that case I would be sure I was not way off on my own away from my vehicle. Shoot close enough to your vehicle so that you can jump in there for protection if the storm bears down on you.

Those are the only suggestions I can think of.

photoman

Explorer
Porches? Wimps! :jump:

Okay honestly my porch is just useless otherwise I would consider using it as well.

As far as safety guidelines they are the same whether you are shooting with a camera or outside at all. Don't be the tallest object, don't stand under the tallest object, etc.

I personally don not shoot if it is raining much, not because I am worried about getting wet, or the camera getting wet, but water spots on the lens ruin shots and can be a pain to clean. I have attempted to shoot from within a car during actual rain by using a tripod. I also prefer to use long shutter speeds rather than trying to time the lighting. I just set the F stop between F11-F22, ISO 100, and the appropriate shutter speed. It might be a couple minutes but it can allow for multiple strikes in one exposure.

I am hoping a storm builds up Saturday as I will actually have some time to go out and shoot for once.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I went camping last weekend (Glamping really) to try to catch the end of the Monsoon season. Well I sure caught it alright. I didn't get any decent lightning shots since the lightning was imbedded in the heavy rain as it came toward me. When the bolts were flying the rain was also on top of me so I mostly went after capturing the cloud build ups ahead of time.

Redington-Pass-0911-1-2-L.jpg

Redington-Pass-0911-8-L.jpg

Redington-Pass-0911-9-L.jpg

MG2366-Edit-L.jpg

MG2368-Edit-L.jpg

intothewild

Adventurer
Some great photos in here..We went up Schnebly Hill in Sedona on Weds and got caught in a decent Monsoon storm. I don't have the gear that some of you guys have, so my images aren't up to par in this thread, but I'm going to share a few anyways.

This was the only lightning shot I captured, we were on the vista when the storm got close enough to capture anything, therefore we ran off before getting struck by lightning :)

IMG_4448.jpg

Some water runoff after the brief heavy rains
IMG_4503.jpg

IMG_4458.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94