Monongahela 2008, WV, 8/20-8/24

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor

Wednesday, 8/20/08 - Sunday, 8/24/08
In the general vicinity of Thomas, WV.

Online Sign-Up Form

monongahela_2008.gif

For the 3rd year in a row, we'll be heading back to Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia for a long weekend of basecamp camping with fellow ExPo'ers. Its a free, very relaxed event with no set schedules. All members of Expedition Portal are welcome, and folks can come and go as they please throughout the weekend.

This is a great opportunity to meet and socialize with eastern ExPo members in their natural environment. We usually wake up in the morning and decide what to do on that day. Sometimes we opt for adventure, whether its driving, hiking, geocaching, spelunking, bouldering, or sloshing around under a waterfall. Other times, are spent sitting around the campfire with a good book, or experimenting with strange new foods.

You are welcome to do whatever you want at any time, as long as its respectful, and in the spirit of ExPo! This is a family atmosphere, so please bring your significant other, kids, and pets. Keep a close eye on this thread as we flesh out the details, but thats the gist of it!

Pictures from previous Monongahela trips

272487731_6a8f6f6920.jpg

1259354428_00cc9a86f1.jpg

1258544187_289401cc80.jpg

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
We're signed up and rearing to go!

Outstanding job on the sign up page, Chris.

I too hope to me your family and Al's also.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Haggis said:
We're signed up and rearing to go!

I too hope to me your family and Al's also.

Us too. We're looking forward to it!

Cheers,
Graham

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Looking forward to it:) I got a semi-firm commitment from my daughter:imagesCADZQMBJ:
4 days + no porcelin = no wife

stick

Adventurer
I penciled this into my calendar, but I won't know for sure until the date is a little closer. I'll keep my eye on this thread and put my name on the list when I' sure I'm able to go.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
jim65wagon said:
You going to follow your own advice this year?

I'm not sure about WV. Jen still has limited vacation days, and really has to pick and choose when she takes off. Everyone is really excited about the NC trip, though - and I expect to have the whole clan down there.

Haggis said:

Thanks, Mark!

:removeredX:

archtimb

Adventurer
Just put in a tentative sign-up. Need to see as we get closer.

Looking forward to putting some faces to your online persona's!

Just curious, but what happens if we outgrow the campsite?

Mitch

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
archtimb said:
Just put in a tentative sign-up. Need to see as we get closer.

Looking forward to putting some faces to your online persona's!

Just curious, but what happens if we outgrow the campsite?

It'd be great to have ya join us, Mitch!

The campsite is basically an island with the forest road on one side, and a parking trail on the other side that wraps around the camp site. We are starting to push it, but I think we can coax more space from the area. If it comes down to it, we can keep the vehicles on the side of the forest road, and use the entirety of the parking trail for ground tents. Also, there might be some room for ground tents across the forest road if the foliage isn't too dense. I think we'll be okay.

839099252_691f3d25cf.jpg

Larger version:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1011/839099252_c4fbdb0e26_o.jpg

Here's the forest road.

273149149_5290e406a4.jpg

Here's the parking trail.

272324779_0aaccf3d23.jpg

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
cshontz said:
We are starting to push it, but I think we can coax more space from the area. If it comes down to it, we can keep the vehicles on the side of the forest road, and use the entirety of the parking trail for ground tents. Also, there might be some room for ground tents across the forest road if the foliage isn't too dense. I think we'll be okay.

Chris, excellent idea for camping in the parking area! I see the list is growing rapidly. Ah! Another 6 month wait!

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Is there a deadline?

Is there a deadline or cut off for attending. I hope to come, but have to wait and see when my daughter is required to move in to college (a freshman)

Jay in NY

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
mtnbike28 said:
Is there a deadline or cut off for attending. I hope to come, but have to wait and see when my daughter is required to move in to college (a freshman)

Nope. Take your time! :)

The sign-up is basically for reference only. It allows us to:

1) have a definitive list of participants
2) identify people by vehicle (handy for spotting new arrivals)
3) know what their real names are
4) have contact info for directions and emergencies

The first year we did this, there was a campsite change when we got there and there was no way to contact anyone. Had to make a sign. :eek:

272328090_913b74c10e.jpg

BigAl

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
...Also, there might be some room for ground tents across the forest road if the foliage isn't too dense. I think we'll be okay...

Big 10-4, I scoped that out last year. The upper side of the main road has some nice open spots for ground tents. I'm picturing 3-5 spots. The trees are huge so there is not much/any brush. We may need to fashion a swiss family robinson style log bridge, as the ditch is rather mucky.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles