Mojave Gladiator - Desert Rated Jeeps

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I'm surprised with the beefed up suspension components and strengthened frame, it wouldn't have gotten a payload and tow rating bump. Even if just a minor one.

I'm guessing it's due to the fact that the drive train and brakes aren't changed.

There was a *very* detailled article written by a guy who used to work at FCA.
ALL the mid and large pickups tow ratings these days are limited by only one thing - engine cooling.

They had to work exceedingly hard to get the cooling right on the gladiator to get best in class towing. The other stuff is simple.
They pushed it to the max, I doubt we'll ever see a gladiator with a higher tow rating.

Fun fact, that's why the diesel with more torque has a lower tow rating. Because the inter cooler adds heat to the cooling stack, so they can't cool it enough.

-Dan

shade

There was a *very* detailled article written by a guy who used to work at FCA.
ALL the mid and large pickups tow ratings these days are limited by only one thing - engine cooling.

They had to work exceedingly hard to get the cooling right on the gladiator to get best in class towing. The other stuff is simple.
They pushed it to the max, I doubt we'll ever see a gladiator with a higher tow rating.

Fun fact, that's why the diesel with more torque has a lower tow rating. Because the inter cooler adds heat to the cooling stack, so they can't cool it enough.

-Dan
If you can post a link to that article, I'd appreciate it.

Jspeers89

Can't wait till they compare it to some desert runners. May come close to compete with the zr2. Very unlikely it will perform with the king of the hill. I'm glad Jeep is playing in this field. Competition is good even if it doesn't reach the Pinnacle.

Typically any specialty vehicle with specific off-road capability has limited payload and towing. It is usually decreased due to softer suspension components. That is why raptors, zr2, Power wagons etc are lower than there non off-road counterparts. You have to give to take somewhere else.

shade

Can't wait till they compare it to some desert runners. May come close to compete with the zr2. Very unlikely it will perform with the king of the hill. I'm glad Jeep is playing in this field. Competition is good even if it doesn't reach the Pinnacle.
I suspect the Mojave shocks will be more heat resistant than the Bison's, but maybe not.

Jspeers89

Bison is mostly cosmetic and protection. Shocks are not changed from zr2. Zr2s have a very unique shock that is well ranged. I think Mojave is shooting for desert specific so I see it being close. I look forward to comparisons.

shade

By heat resistant, I wasn't referring to the desert angle - that's really more about branding the Mojave with the Mojave. Rough Canadian tracks can put similar demands on a suspension.

I'm talking about having the oil volume & cooling required to run reliably for long periods over rough terrain. The basic configuration used on the Mojave has a long history of performing well, while being fairly simple to rebuild. I don't know that the same can be said of the ZR2's MultiMatics.

Last edited:

docwatson

Adventurer

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

This may or may not be the one that @Dan Grec is talking about. The writer is a former FCA engineer and it's pretty interesting.

Thank you, that's it! I did a bunch of googling trying to find it again and couldn't.

-Dan

Justincredible

Adventurer
I would like to see this package on a JL.
I've always been a minimal lift and big tire kind of guy. Just give me a leveling kit and 37s on a Mojave JL and I'd be a happy camper.
I would also like the seats from the High Altitude, but I'm not willing to pay for those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94