MOIRAI 1995 4x4 Fire Rescue BUILD Thread

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Nice ground for the MaxxFan.

Here is the upper panel with the switch panel mounted. Took a lot of work. And I opted to hand file the final cut. Using a jig saw and a blade for metal has finer teeth and finer overall cut and leas damage to the melamine covering.

Attachments

• IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    897.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 25

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’m finally getting a real fridge... same as yours. Tomorrow is a holiday, so it’ll have to wait till Tuesday or Wednesday. :D

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
I’m finally getting a real fridge... same as yours. Tomorrow is a holiday, so it’ll have to wait till Tuesday or Wednesday. :D
Hey man. Are you getting the Dometic CRX50? I got mine through Raneys Truck. I was so happy to get mine. I didnt realize the condensor was damaged from the box being hit. They are sending me a replacement that should be here this week. Im curious to know what you think when you get yours.

I just couldnt see myself spending $850 or so for a 50quart ARB. Plus add ons.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Randy’s has an excellent price on CRX-50s. I’m looking at the same fridge without the digital control... CR-50. It will fit well in the space.

If they don’t have you ship back the damaged one, you could get it repaired and sell it :D

All the prices here are stupid... even given the 30% exchange... a Dometic 50 is $1200 CDN and it’s more reasonable than an ARB.

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Randy’s has an excellent price on CRX-50s. I’m looking at the same fridge without the digital control... CR-50. It will fit well in the space.

If they don’t have you ship back the damaged one, you could get it repaired and sell it :D

All the prices here are stupid... even given the 30% exchange... a Dometic 50 is $1200 CDN and it’s more reasonable than an ARB.

Yes. I shipped it back in order to get my replacement! Thats interesting about the price.

Well its a small fridge. So Im hoping it does the trick. I think I also got a 10% off the list price for being a new customer.

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Had to cut two 16" pieces. To make the whole cabinet true and straight. Its not really bearing weight onto the floor. Thats why Im adding L-brackets. It was bowed in about 3/4". Have to keep it all straight ?

Attachments

• IMG_0171.JPG
    IMG_0171.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0172.JPG
    IMG_0172.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0173.JPG
    IMG_0173.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Abitibi says he can get enough in his TF130 to last a week with a family of 4. With my whole family I figure 3+ days or if just the two of us a week. Most of the time I’m not far from civilization, so I figure it’ll probably be good for a few steaks, fruit & veggies, drinks, milk, and some ice cream bars if needed ;)

If I’m worried about it I’ll add a cooler with ice for the first couple days.

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Dobie pads clean stuff great!!

I bought two marine cable entry gizmos at West Marine. For pos and neg roof mount solar feeds.

Aluminum 27" drip rail. Painted with truck bedliner. And 3M double sided exterior emblem tape. Its going above the exterior storage access door.

Attachments

• IMG_0194.JPG
    IMG_0194.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    995.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
  • IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 19

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Yes. I shipped it back in order to get my replacement! Thats interesting about the price.

Well its a small fridge. So Im hoping it does the trick. I think I also got a 10% off the list price for being a new customer.

I missed out on the CR-50. I was ready to buy a fridge through Raney’s... they sent me an offer for 5% but through trial and error figured out that ‘NEW10’ would get me 10% instead. After much consideration I found I could buy one for a bit more from the local truck shop. If I got it shipped I’d have to pay duty & Brokerage fees & taxes... or I could just buy it from a business I’ve been dealing with for 20 years that I can walk into if there’s a problem.

Inside the USA Raney’s would have been a no brainer. Up here Northern Fridge was about the same price as buying it from the local guy... after I put a deposit down NF sent me the code ‘freeshipping31’ which would have saved my $80.

I’m still happy with my choice... if it’s visibly damaged during shipping, as yours was, the shop will likely take care of it even before I stop in to pick it up. If there’s a problem down the road, I can pop in and talk with them. I have to remember that my time and energy have a value... and wasting a day sorting out a problem with a supplier in a different country would cost me more than I’d save.

Last edited:

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
I missed out on the CR-50. I was ready to buy a fridge through Raney’s... they sent me an offer for 5% but through trial and error figured out that ‘NEW10’ would get me 10% instead. After much consideration I found I could buy one for a bit more from the local truck shop. If I got it shipped I’d have to pay duty & Brokerage fees & taxes... or I could just buy it from a business I’ve been dealing with for 20 years that I can walk into if there’s a problem.

Inside the USA Raney’s would have been a no brainer. Up here Northern Fridge was about the same price as buying it from the local guy... after I put a deposit down NF sent me the code ‘freeshipping31’ which would have saved my $80.

I’m still happy with my choice... if it’s visibly damaged during shipping, as yours was, the shop will likely take care of it even before I stop in to pick it up. If there’s a problem down the road, I can pop in and talk with them. I have to remember that my time and energy have a value... and wasting a day sorting out a problem with a supplier in a different country would cost me more than I’d save.
Yeap. No need for extra headaches!!!

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Yes. I clay barred the surface. And used alcohol to clean it prior to the drip rail. I just wanted a one time secure fit!!

Its pretty darn close to a perfect fit. Just a little clearance and extends about 3 inches to each side of the door.

Attachments

• IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0207.JPG
    IMG_0207.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0208.JPG
    IMG_0208.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0209.JPG
  • IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 19

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Here is the paint for some of the interior.

A rack of auto resetting amps from under the drivers seat. Since the shop rewired it. I can now use this for other items.

Old roof hole for coaxial cable. This was the section from cutting out the roof vent. The MC4 connector is about 1 to big in diameter to pass through. So Ill hand file it bigger. There are still two on the roof that I will open for the pos and neg solar feeds.

Attachments

• IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    882.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    907.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    843.5 KB · Views: 13

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Reused the over head grab rail from the van into the bathroom of my moms business.

Attachments

• IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 14

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Ah. So redoing what was once done so to say. Frustrating but hey. Thats how it goes. I bought two boxes eaxh of 1/3 inch waterproof foam and 1/6 inch. Well turns out I used 1/6 inch the first go around for the front floor underlayment. It fits the step wells and under the kick panels great. But the 1/3 is now just on the base floor and up into the foot wells but not under the kick panels. Its too thick.

I was wondering why I had these extra boxes. And used the thinner stuff. But it worked out. If I was gung ho on the thicker material from the start. The kick panels and step wells would probably not have fit. So I guess a little blunder made it ok and now it has about 1/2 inch under the front vinyl on top of the dynamat.

Cleaned the new vinyl since I had to pull the seats etc.

Now its also flush as it meets the 3/4" 7 ply rear sub floor.

Attachments

• IMG_0262.JPG
    IMG_0262.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0263.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0264.JPG
    IMG_0264.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0267.JPG
    IMG_0267.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 16

eporter

Adventurer
Looking good. So what is the order of the stack of materials in the front from metal to vinyl? I’m looking to rip out the old carpet in the cab of my chinook. It’s got a 1” lip from cab to back plywood. What do you think he max amount is that you can raise up the front area and still have the stepwell trim fit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles