MOIRAI 1995 4x4 Fire Rescue BUILD Thread

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
great build! That's serious amount of batteries! Faced with a similar decision I went Lithium cells ordered from China. Was less than some AGM options. Only time will tell how durable they are though.
Yea. I already had two AGMs. Then I bought two more. So when I bought the 12volt AC unit I needed more. Had I started again from scratch. Lithiums are tempting.

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Red LED lights for night time. High and low warm LED warm glow lights.

Espar D2 kit is missing two fuel fittings. Bummer

Attachments

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Took oh 3 hours to remove all the staples holding the two layers down of velcro. Last of the untouched interior remnants. Im glad I did. Lots of trapped dust and dirt inside and now its a clean slate

Front mounting bolts for the 40 gallon water tank wont go through the floor due a subframe bar directly beneath.

So three bolts will be welded on to the top metal subfloor and ill make a new piece of wood once its welded on. Its never straight forward and easy.

Attachments

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Complete kit with thanks to Adam at Northern Arizona Wind & Sun. Outback FM80. Can handle 1000 watts. Ill have 640 with the option to add two more panels at 960 total. But for now just four to see how it goes.

Turn key kit in a way. All the fuses, wiring, cables, ends, boxes, DIN rail etc came all together.😎✌🏻

Attachments

Recommended books for Overlanding

Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World
by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman
From $14.59
Vehicle-dependent Expedition Guide
by Tom Sheppard
From $334.34
999 Days Around Africa: The Road Chose Me
by Dan Grec, Dan Grec
From $19.95
Overland: A Mercedes-Benz Journey Through the Americas
by ri M. Stroh
From $20
Motorcycle Messengers: Tales from the Road by Writers who...
by Lois Pryce, Mark Richardson, Carla King, Sam Manic...
From $9.99

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Prosine 1800 is mounted. OutBackFM80 is mounted. Its mounted so they both breathe and can move air when the fans are on

Attachments

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
40 gallon water tank mounted. Clearance was tight!!! 3M thinsulate two layers, all over the passenger side rear wheel well. The whole are was prepped. Lined with black rubber flooring. Etc. couldnt ask for a cleaner fit. The custom made mounting/securing brackets were powder coated flat black. mounts through thinsulate through wheel well using the old seatbelt hole. 3/4” bolts and hardware secure it all in place. I used the old seatbelt hardware. I had to buy lock rings though.

Attachments

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Screws didnt hold the door strikers. Darn. They are #12. Have to bump it up to #14 with a finer thread. These seems coarser. Probably for wood
Mine were aluminum 1/4-20 for the strikers. I replaced them with quality SS 1/4-20 rather than trying to source out aluminum bolts... as most broke when being removed.

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Mine were aluminum 1/4-20 for the strikers. I replaced them with quality SS 1/4-20 rather than trying to source out aluminum bolts... as most broke when being removed.
Did you have any issues with the stainless steel heads on install? When I installed lets see, my drivers side door rain flange and a couple other items. I had to be ultra smooth. Since a few stripped so easily. I ended up using stainless steel machine screws, with an allen key drive. Love that allen key drive!! 😎

bgflyguy

This is excellent. I'm amazed at the time you are taking with each step. I'm going to try to do my best, but I'm just not going to get all of the details you are hitting. It's always hard to judge stuff like this in a classified post, but this work could easily command 2x the cost even from a builder.

Btw, I don't know if you are doing anything where you are joining dissimilar metals, but tef-gel is a great product to avoid corrosion. I believe this is on most of the screws I've pulled on my aluminum box.

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
This is excellent. I'm amazed at the time you are taking with each step. I'm going to try to do my best, but I'm just not going to get all of the details you are hitting. It's always hard to judge stuff like this in a classified post, but this work could easily command 2x the cost even from a builder.

Btw, I don't know if you are doing anything where you are joining dissimilar metals, but tef-gel is a great product to avoid corrosion. I believe this is on most of the screws I've pulled on my aluminum box.
Thank you for the supportive comment!! Sometimes I wonder what Im even doing. Painstakingly doing all this stuff on my build! Haha. Thats great. Thank you again.

I wanted to have this build page to document my work. And to provide myself with a time line. I work 6 days a week. And I have an awesome dog. I dont have a garage or a legit workspace. Its my parents front porch. Or the back alley behind my job to be honest. THen I had use of a garage. But on weekends only. So I would have to pack and unpack and clean and vacuum meticulously. Total pain. It would have been easier with a dedicated work space. But I live in an apartment.

Its amazing though the people I have met building this along the way.