Mohawk Dave's 2004 Sequoia - Athena

Mohawk Dave

The BD knock offs....the faceplate doesn't fit over a real BD lens cover (I bought flood BD Covers) so I had to modify it all. lol. And then I welded the Proto socket to HMMWV scissor jack.20201009_231238.jpg

20201009_231545.jpg

20201009_231614.jpg

20201009_232251.jpg

20201009_232805.jpg

20201031_032832.jpg

Last edited:

Mohawk Dave

Snorkel mods. I had the other snorkel that we all have that sticks up, but it kept getting caught on tree branches etc....I used this LC one, used 3" turbo tubing, ran into the air box, made a bracket to bolt into the roof rack, made a bracket to extend the ditch light....

1 (1).jpg

1 (2).jpg

1 (3).jpg

1 (4).jpg

1 (5).jpg

1 (6).jpg

1 (7).jpg

1 (8).jpg

1 (9).jpg

1 (10).jpg

Last edited:

Mohawk Dave

This table has proven to be so useful! Cooking up pulled pork or whatever. This is the aluminum one, they make a steel one that is cheaper. I got this as a blem for $110.
6 (1).jpg 6 (2).jpg 6 (3).jpg 6 (4).jpg

Last edited:

smokeysevin

Observer
I had been considering how to do the LBJ conversion with a stock spindle for a while. Nicely executed!

On the heim steering, what size joints did you use? I played around with some 3/4" and 7/8" but never got the bump steer dialed out enough to where I liked how it drove. I may need to revisit it though because I replaced some other components afterwards that could have caused the issues.

The UCA Pivot mod is also on my to do list, I like how you fabbed the locking tabs.

Have you tested the rock sliders yet? 0.120 seems on the thinner side but I have not tried it so it could be fine.

Sweet intro,

Sean

Mohawk Dave

I had been considering how to do the LBJ conversion with a stock spindle for a while. Nicely executed!

On the heim steering, what size joints did you use? I played around with some 3/4" and 7/8" but never got the bump steer dialed out enough to where I liked how it drove. I may need to revisit it though because I replaced some other components afterwards that could have caused the issues.

The UCA Pivot mod is also on my to do list, I like how you fabbed the locking tabs.

Have you tested the rock sliders yet? 0.120 seems on the thinner side but I have not tried it so it could be fine.

Sweet intro,

Sean

Hey Sean,

3/4" heims on steering. FK JMX-12T . As far as bump steer goes, the OE geometry has not changed....

.120 sliders are more than beefcake unless you are bouncing like a rock buggy. I've definitely put these through their paces. Here's some photos of the skid plates that I bent the shiz out of...had to put them in the 60k press. That was from Gold Mountain in Big Bear and Jackhammer Offshoots in JV. ....driving onto the skid plates did absolutely nothing to bend them back. lol. You might be able to see battle scars on the rock sliders in some of those photos.

20201127_130119.jpg20201127_132052.jpg20201127_142556.jpg20201127_142602.jpg20201208_160611.jpg20201208_160616.jpg20201208_160634.jpg20201208_160651.jpg

smokeysevin

Observer
Nice thanks for the reply.

On the steering, I thought I had read somwhere that the bms clevis adapter was slightly furter out than the than the oe inner tie rod end pivot but its been a while since I messed with it.

What bolt size did you use in the heims for the outer tie rod ends?

For the lower ball joint conversion, did you use a tapered bolt or just a straight shank where it bolts to the lca? I saw that you drilled the hole out but didn't see any other detail.

Sean

Kpack

Adventurer
Nicely done so far. Your fab skills look impressive, especially on the LCA. A couple of questions just because I'm curious. What's the reason behind doing heim joints on the UCA's? Never seen or heard of that done before, and all experiences I've heard of with stock setup and polyurethane bushings seem to be positive (mine included).

How do you like the stand for the tablet? I've looked at different options and kept coming back to the kind that stand because it attached to seat mount bolt. I hate things that jiggle and squeak in my truck, so I'm curious as to how stable you find this stand.

Lastly, I'd love to see more of the mounts you made for the phone and GPS. It looks like you attached them to the top of the dash with double sided tape and screws? How's the stability? I'm looking at all solutions for my truck and like what you came up with.

ThePartyWagon

Super rad Sequoia. I just picked up an '05 to turn into my road trip/boat hauler/camping rig. Mine won't get built to this extent but this is awesome to see and a great reference.

Killer work!

Mohawk Dave

Nice thanks for the reply.

On the steering, I thought I had read somwhere that the bms clevis adapter was slightly furter out than the than the oe inner tie rod end pivot but its been a while since I messed with it.

What bolt size did you use in the heims for the outer tie rod ends?

For the lower ball joint conversion, did you use a tapered bolt or just a straight shank where it bolts to the lca? I saw that you drilled the hole out but didn't see any other detail.

Sean

Hi Sean,

I used the Camburg Clevis adapters...and you know, they may be a little off on point compared to OEM, but it was minimal and I would think negligible. It would be such a minute amount of bumpsteer that I don't think you'd even know (I've had plenty of vehicles with bad bumpsteer over the years, and the Sequoia doesn't even register on that chart.)

Outer tie rod bolt size = 5/8-18

LBJ Conversion = Straight 3/4" bolt. As the truck is an '04 it had the larger ball joints, which meant the hole in the LCA had a large taper side of .791", thus we cored it out to 1" and welded in a 4130 sleeve, then bored and reamed to .75".

Thanks, Dave

Mohawk Dave

Nicely done so far. Your fab skills look impressive, especially on the LCA. A couple of questions just because I'm curious. What's the reason behind doing heim joints on the UCA's? Never seen or heard of that done before, and all experiences I've heard of with stock setup and polyurethane bushings seem to be positive (mine included).

How do you like the stand for the tablet? I've looked at different options and kept coming back to the kind that stand because it attached to seat mount bolt. I hate things that jiggle and squeak in my truck, so I'm curious as to how stable you find this stand.

Lastly, I'd love to see more of the mounts you made for the phone and GPS. It looks like you attached them to the top of the dash with double sided tape and screws? How's the stability? I'm looking at all solutions for my truck and like what you came up with.

Hey Kpack,

Thanks.

Heimed UCA allows for additional adjustment (camber/caster). That also allowed me to move the lower front all the way in the lower rear all the way out, thus getting the hub/wheel/tire as far away from the cab as I could, then dial in caster and camber from the UCA. (We build race trucks, so everything gets heimed or balled)

Also, a fully heimed and balled front end feels night and day difference to bushings. Super tight, exact, instant feedback, etc. Feels like a dang Porsche race car. (Not for everybody, I understand.) People ask about NVH with my front end...it feels like going from 32psi to 37psi....you feel everything more. I love it.

The phone and GPS mount are only 3M double sided (for exterior use, not interior): there are no screws. I clean the dash with alcohol and that's all. My old K5 had the same setup and 20k+ miles (mostly dirt) and never a failure.............but, I want to change it up and use the RAM MOUNTS TOUGH TRACK on the dash or maybe a piece of 80/20 that is 1/2" x 1" ...IDK for sure....still kickin around different ideas.

Thanks, Dave

Edit: I missed the tablet part. The RAM mount is not worth the money in my opinion. (I actually found mine at a yard sale and sold the Dodge Ram base and laptop mount for more than I paid for a used Sequoia base)....but I would not buy new MSRP. Because, fabbing the bottom plate that ties into the seat mounts is easy as pie, and the RAM swivel arms are too long and can not pivot upward/downward...only side to side...(you can see how the 2 arms are kinda nested in against the dash and 1 arm would not work either)....If I were to do it again, I would build my own with some sort of locking gimbal and then I could make it to the dimensions I wish.

Last edited:

Mohawk Dave

Love seeing all of the home brew stuff, great build thread. I am curious as what the headlight bracket/guards are for?

Hey Tex,

Thanks. Those are to keep the sidemarkers in the fender. EVERY TIME I hit some little tree branch it seemed like it was breaking the plastic tabs that hold the light in, then my buddy would radio me and say, "Dude, your lights hanging out again." I got tire of duct taping them and/or buying new ones. So, the sheet metal is bent inward to keep nice tension on them.

Thanks, Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles