mods you wouldnt do again ...

chasespeed

Explorer
Ditto on my Rancho 9000 xl shocks. I don't have the remote adjustment, but they are just too darn rough for my 1/2-ton, even loaded to the gills. I miss my Monroe magnums, but may check out Bilstein 5100s. Has anybody here run both shocks for a comparison?

I havent run the Monroes... some seem to like them...

BUT, all I run is Bilsteins....If money were no object, I would be running Kings, Fox, or F-O-A remote res shocks....

On THIS truck... thankfully, nothing I regret... trying to keep this one simple..

Although, I need to find a place that can bend up 5 inch exhaust pipe... so I can re-route my tail pipe, I will smash it if I am not careful.....

Chase

off-roader

Expedition Leader
(1) Removing rear antisway bar & lifting suspension w/out re-enforcing the trailing arms (control arms) on my Montero... You do this and it's a recipe for broken trailing arms guaranteed!!:Wow1:

(2) Building a box using 3/4" pine panels and 2x2 pine frame. Simply not as strong as 1/2" plywood on a 2x6 box sides. The first box broke apart on my first outing. The 2nd box is still in use 8 years later in a friends rig.

(3) Rock skids/rails built by someone who's never run in rocks before. Bent on the first encounter with the rocks.

(4) Almost forgot... using brush guards... purely cosmetic which is ok but they can actually cause more damage in a what would normally be a very minor fender bender.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Threads like this explain why I like to buy vehicles as unmodified as possible. Often times when a vehicle is being sold it's because the "project" isn't working out and the seller just wants to be rid of it.

That's why I'm glad my 4runner still had the factory running boards on it. Pretty convincing proof that the previous owner didn't do much off-roading! :p

It's funny how often I hear people listing the K&N FIPK as the "worst mod." I've been seeing it for years, even back when I drove a Ford Ranger and was on a lot of Ranger boards, people were saying the same thing. It's surprising to me that anybody still buys those, as I have yet to hear anyone say anything positive about it.

I guess I'm fortunate in that I haven't done a lot of mods that I regret. I did get some cheapie "off road lights" for my Montero, and removed them a few months later when it was obvious that they were falling apart, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

I drank the kool-aid and bought a K&N air filter for my Ranger when it was new, I should have just spent the money on 3 regular paper air filters as it didn't improve performance even one bit. No negatives too it, just wasted money. I bought the truck new and it was still running strong at 93k so the K&N must not have been bad for it.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Limb raisers. I really didn't need that mod. I am only out aroung $16.. but pointless for location

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
This is a good thread... Going back to what I wrote back in 2007, elaborating more: for example if you need a high amperage alternator I use a different OEM application. My go-to alternator choice for a few years on my 4BTs has been a 1994 Chevy Caprice at 160 amps rather than my 1971 Toyota 35 amp, or a Mean Green Aftermarket, which is basically a GM alternator. In this case the "OEM approach" makes the part much harder to find and in general is a good, strong, reliable option.

I also use a Turbo off a 2003 Dodge Cummins rather than my obscure 1991 Turbo for my 4 cyl, better performance, reliability, availability, etc.

I hope it helps.

Superu

Explorer
Best Mod Ever:
For sheer reliability, simplicity of design and for working as advertised, my rock shifter knob with a gecko carved into it.

X2

IMG00250.jpg

One I probably wouldn't do again is the Go-Light.

IMG00128.jpg

Great for repelling tailgaters and for backing into campsites in the dark, but hardly ever use the swivel and tilt features. Fixed lights would likely have worked as well.

ryguy

Adventurer
On my 08 taco:
Goodyear MTR's
All Pro transfer case skid(lousy fit)
Pro Comp lift
Factory roof rack
TRD drop in filter
and finally throttle body spacers are worthless
In regards to the All Pro transfercase skid, Terry was very helpful in returning the skid and refunded my money along with shipping costs. I have purchased other products from all pro which have been exceptional in fit and quality.

jh504

Explorer
Mods I wouldnt do again are any mods that would make my vehicle less than desirable to drive on the interstate. I probably wouldnt lift any higher than 4-5 inches anymore. I probably wouldnt go any bigger than 33s on a compact truck and possibly 35s on a fullsize truck. I probably wouldnt do another auto-locker.
Basically I would try to keep it as close to stock as possible while still making it capable enough to go where I want to. My rigs have gotten less and less modified over the years.

Speaker

Adventurer
Softopper canvas camper shell. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but doesn't look like it will hold up in the long run. I should have saved my money for a better solution.

Wow this was two years ago, but thanks! I was going to get one.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
1.) K&N anything. Just a cash flow device.

b.) Body lifts. Annoyed me so much that most of my 4x4 fleet now consists of unibody Jeeps. :elkgrin:

iii.) Explorer ProComp lift for Suzuki Sidekick. Way too stiff and seriously compromised geometry. MacPherson strut suspension on a 4x4 is retarded at best.

4.) Welded transfer case gears. 'Nuff said

e.) Trying to make deep backspaced OEM wheels work on narrow OEM axles. A little tippy and made lots of diamonds.

vi.) Vent shades. Dumb. I can't even use the excuse that I smoke.

7.) Trying to use a Suzuki as an overlanding vehicle. ****** was I on in the 1990s? (sorry to those that use them - that's how I feel - great trucks for other 4x4 uses)

h.) Truxus MTs. Stupid heavy and out of round.

ix.) Just say no to superfluous tread plate. There are places it belongs, anywhere else is dumb.

Last edited:

alexrex20

Explorer
everybody is so against K&N, but their product works if you follow their directions. it seems most of the problems arise from over-oiling the filter, but almost exclusively on MAF cars. the oil is sucked into the intake and fouls the MAF hot wire.

i use a drop-in filter on all my vehicles, but i just soap and rinse every few oil changes. i never add any oil. i guess i use it for the fairy tale extra hp, but also because it means i don't have to replace it all the time. effectively, i have a reusable paper air filter. :D

ryguy

Adventurer
In my experience with selling k&n is that they come over-oiled right out of the box. Same with the TRD filters. I bought an amsoil and never looked back.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
My worst, and shortest-lived, mod moment came in using significant US currency to purchase two enormous Pelican cases

Unimogparts_04.jpg

to put on the overcab roof rack on Camper Mog, just in front of the spare tire.

P3120002.jpg

They turned out to be an absolutely perfect fit, and they looked really cool in a seriously "we're-off-to-the-Sahara-for-months" sort of way. Nice, huh?

Except it was a totally dumb addition. They managed to put better than a foot of additional height onto a vehicle already over 11 feet, they added air resistance (though that ship admittedly had already sailed :) ), they weren't easy to get to, and I couldn't put anything heavy in them because of real or imagined CoG issues.

However, what put it over the edge into the "what the hell was I thinking?" category was that I already had about ten times their combined capacity in unused storage space inside the cabin. The cases lived on the roof for about a month before I came to my senses. :sombrero:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles