mods you wouldnt do again ...

SoCalSwimmer

I have a question about all this air filter talk...

Is it worth it to get a oem cold air intake upgrade then?? For example I have a 2016 Ram 1500 v8. I’ve always been skeptical of engine mods but a CAI seems legit. K&N not sure how they’re even in business from all the complaints oven read on here.

Mopar has a bolt on that seems alright.

trasko

Adventurer
I've got zero experience regarding your Ram but I am also skeptical about engine mods and it DOES extend to CAI, etc. If a company which has been doing this many decades filled with engineers who do this for a living could get some easy HP gains "for free" don't you think they'd do it? There is some cost incurred here and are you comfortable paying that cost when you don't even know what it is? I'm not.

(Not directed at you) I also don't get people's obsession with power. My '77 Jeep Wagoneer -- 5.8L V8 (Liters were cubic inches back then) made 130hp/265 ft/lb. Was it any less of an adventure vehicle? I'd say not. But my 2008 Japanese truck (unmodified) makes 260hp with a 4.0L V6 with double the fuel efficiency. Would I really want to compromise its reliability to gain another 10 or 20 hp that I don't need? /shrug Not for me. I see the attraction (I've done K&Ns on a motorcycles, etc -- never again).

lugueto

Adventurer
People like modifying engines. We can't leave anything standard, that's why we're here in the first place right?

That being said, I have to agree. Engine mods get expensive and usually grind away reliability and comfort. I wouldn't consider them in any large engines.

A cold air intake or exhaust won't make your vehicle less reliable, but it will make it louder. WAY louder.

Full disclosure: I am guilty of modifying the engine in my truck, but it's no V8, or even a V6. Its a 4 cylinder. I had to figure out how to help the truck a little after modding it. I wouldn't do it again, however. The increase in engine noise is a serious downside.

madcratebuilder

It depends on what kind of intake you have from the factory. My V6 Colorado draws ait from the fender well, IAT runs a few degrees higher that OAT. I installed a high flow element. Some rigs can benefit with a complete CAI.

DorB

Adventurer
I installed a high flow element. Some rigs can benefit with a complete CAI.
High flow air filtering element..
That’s something I used for short time, took out of the truck, and would not do again.

There is no more air without less filtering, and less filtering don’t do good to engines off-road.

Short web research shows the numbers very good.
You’ll be surprised to see that some of the brands are “high flow” as new, but gets clogged fast and become more restricted then good quality regular filter at the same conditions.

DorB

Adventurer
The filter material and number of pleats effect cfm,the biggest benefit from cai is the use of larger cone style filters.
I’ve spread an open element filter, it had about half the filtering area of a OEM Toyota air filter.

The shape of the filter does not effect but the filtering area and the tubing to and from the filtering element.

s.e.charles

I wonder why some engine air intakes are mounted so low in the passenger front wheel well. the engineers may have numbers for the efficiency, but I just don't think it's "logical".

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
I wonder why some engine air intakes are mounted so low in the passenger front wheel well. the engineers may have numbers for the efficiency, but I just don't think it's "logical".

Cool air.

Engineers are tasked to make car engines run well, make power, efficient, and quiet. All within the constraints of laws and available space.

hemifoot

Observer
i got a really good deal on a set of 35/12.5/20 general grabber at2's.the only problem was they were attached to a rediculous set of neg 44 rims.the rims lasted about 6 months before i threw them in the scrap aluminum pile at work.nothing wrong with them.just hated all the road grime they threw all over my truck.i still use the generals for my winter rubber and ridge grapplers when the camper is on.i also learned to not cheap out when buying led pods.all other mods i've done were through necessity and careful thought processing.everything i need and nothing i don't.

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
On my 98 Jeep TJ (with the four cylinder engine) I put a heavy steel gas tank skid, steel rear corner body guards, and a heavy pair of steel (with steel side tubes) rocker guards. I should have gone with a more expensive, but lighter set of aluminum protection. Would save some weight, and help the little four cylinder engine out some. They are all name brand items and they've worked as advertised - just heavy is all.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
On my 2nd gen Ram I used an AFE flat panel drop in oiled filter.
I kept it in for only a short spell after holding the freshly cleaned and oiled filter up to the sun. The pinholes showed up with the sun shining in.
Returned to Fleetguard/Wix dry filters.
Same with my 3rd gen. I get the Wix filters for about $18.00 ea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles