Mods: Where do I start?

xman

Observer
As you know from my last thread, I am new owner of a used 2002 SR5 Tacoma DC 4x4. I would like to start with the mods but I don't know where to start. I was very fortunate that the previous owner had all the preventative maintenance done on it and that will save me some money.

My Tacoma is not my daily driver as I drive a company vehicle to and from work everyday. It will be my hunting, fishing and expedition rig. I want it off-road tough/tougher but still remain comfortable for those long trips to Northern California, Oregon and Wyoming.

What mods would you do first? Thanks for advice! Here's a picture of my stock Tacoma.

DSCF0411.jpg

asteffes

Explorer
If I was starting from scratch, knowing what I now know I would do the following in this order:

Tires - BFG ATs or similar. Something flexible. Last thing I want is to find out my new $1k set of tires don't work well in snow or sand when I'm planning a trip to a place with either.

Communication - cb or amateur radio... whatever works for you and those you wheel with. I got it over with and got a Kenwood TM-D700A that does everything I could ever want. Get a good antenna setup from the start to save yourself headaches and money later.

GPS - Get a nice one so you don't end up replacing it. There can be a lot of extra cost involved in switching brands if the software, antenna or memory cards don't work with the new unit. Garmin 276c works for me.

Bumper - Protects from animal strikes. ARB or TJM, etc. Also handy for mounting a winch and lights.

Winch - Especially important if you wheel alone.

Lighting - a pair of quality lamps like Hella 4000s or IPF 968s in a driving beam. Bumper, above, props them up nicely. Also, consider upgrading your headlamp bulbs to some 80/100 watt Hellas (not the hyper white/blue imported junk.)

Sliders - nice added protection for the sides of your truck. May be unnecessary depending where you travel to.

Central power buss - Run an 8 gauge cable from the battery to a distribution block with fuses for each attached load. Power your radio, GPS, lights, etc., from this block. Do this from the start and your wiring will stay clean. Of course, run the winch right to the battery with a kill switch on the solenoid pack so you can disable it when you're away (don't want some kid to short out the control box and wrap your truck around itself with the winch cable hooked to your tow hitch. That would suck.)

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
asteffes said:
Central power buss - Run an 8 gauge cable from the battery to a distribution block with fuses for each attached load. Power your radio, GPS, lights, etc., from this block. Do this from the start and your wiring will stay clean. Of course, run the winch right to the battery with a kill switch on the solenoid pack so you can disable it when you're away (don't want some kid to short out the control box and wrap your truck around itself with the winch cable hooked to your tow hitch. That would suck.)

Can you post pics of how you did this, I'm about to embark on adding my CB, lights, etc ... and would love something similar.

Good advice on the rest as well.

xman

Observer
Good advice. How about on suspensions, shocks, etc? It appears that Donohoes (Front) , Bilsteins (rear) and Deavers (10 pack) leaf springs are the most popular on this site.

asteffes

Explorer
jeffryscott said:
Can you post pics of how you did this, I'm about to embark on adding my CB, lights, etc ... and would love something similar.

Good advice on the rest as well.

I don't have any pictures handy, but here's what I did:

Buy a length of 8 gauge cable, like Monster or some welding cable. Whatever you can find for a reasonable price. It should reach from the battery to a convenient, central location. I ran mine to behind the backseat of my double cab.

Terminate the cable with ring terminals. The battery side should go through a 40 or 50 amp circuit breaker or include a fuse holder. Breakers are resettable. Fuses must be replaced. Your choice. The fuse or breaker should be on the battery side, as close to the battery as possible to protect from any and all shorts.

The cab end of the cable should connect to a Blue Sea Systems distribution block. These are found at West Marine and similar boat shops. Has 6 or 8 positions for accessories, each with its own fuse. It also has a second half for ground. Run an 8 gauge cable from the ground buss side to the chassis, or even to the battery if you don't mind running to lengths of cable.

Now, wire your toys to the distribution block. You CB or ham rig should be fused with a 10 or 15 amp fuse. GPS gets a 3 or 5 amp fuse. Other toys should be fused as appropriate. Instead of ten wires running to the battery and making a mess, you have a central place that is electrically protected, labeled, etc., to power your toys.

Lights should probably be run to the battery if you put the block in the cab. That reduces the length of wires carrying heavy loads and ultimately reduces the load on the electrical system. Or, run a second distribution block under the hood if you have lots of lights.

Really big items like a winch or air compressor should run directly to the battery with heavy cable. The Blue Sea blocks can't handle more than 50 or so amps total, so reserve them for your smaller accessories.

robert

Expedition Leader
The first thing you ought to do is sit down and make a list of what you expect to do with the truck- prioritize this list with the items that are most important at the top. Now figure out what you expect to carry and how much the truck will weigh- it is best to load the truck up and go weigh it (total, front and rear).

If you are planning on serious off-roading, or carrying a lot of weight you are going to need to upgrade the suspension. I recommend doing this before adding new tires- you can run small tires with a lift; you can't run larger without one (without risking body damage). Tires are expensive and if you are planning to replace them you might as well start with the size you want. The suspension will allow you to safely carry the added weight also. Old Man Emu makes some reasonably priced suspension setups if you don't want to break the bank. Be sure to take into consideration whether you will be adding a winch/bumper (the winch bumper/winch will add over a hundred pounds off the front).

After the suspension I would buy tires- all terrains if you don't really need mud tires since they will wear better than the muds and are much quieter on the road for extended trips.

If you ride with a club, they will likely require a radio of some sort- usually a CB.

Winch/bumper as noted above (at least 8000lbs).

Lights- I like the Hella 4000s too but most of the higher end lights are good. Cheap lights won't last or focus the beams like the high quality ones will. A tractor light on the rear is very handy, especially with a camper shell on.

Sliders if you are going to be off-roading- protect the bodywork and gives jacking points.

GPS is certainly nice to have as is an upgraded stereo system.

In no particular order, I would add a high quality tow strap and a couple of heavy clevis', a hi-lift jack (learn to use it before you need it- it can be your best friend and it can also kill you), shovel, upgrade the headlight bulbs as noted above, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, spare parts (fuses, belts, filters), tools, "survival kit" (blanket, flashlights, water, hat, sunscreen, etc), leather gloves, winch accessories if/when you get a winch, etc.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
For installing my auxiliary fuse block I used a old Rockford Fosgate Amp kit I had laying around in the garage with 4g cables. I used a Blue Sea fuse block(you can buy at west marine, or special order through Sierra Expeditions. These are really nice units, and a bargain compared to other units on the market.
fuseblock_f.jpg

It supports the full time power requirement units, such as the radios, Engel, lights, ect...

For the time being I mounted it to the rear wall using an old 4 ga. amplifier kit I had laying around. The pro to this is that it has an in line fuse on the positive cable, that will help prevent an fires, or melt downs. This is a must as too small of a guage cable will heat up and catch fire.

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

In the last picture you can see my *temporary* Engel hook-up. I twisted the wires to prevent electrical interference with the CB. Sorry I do not have any other pictures at this point.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I'd do some 31" BFG KOs with the stock suspension, get some sliders and front and rear recovery points (as simple as a hitch with a shackle), hi-lift jack, communications, and maybe a gps. Nice color, I wanted that color originally.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
xman said:
I want it off-road tough/tougher but still remain comfortable for those long trips to Northern California, Oregon and Wyoming.

What mods would you do first?

If that were my truck, the short list would be:
  1. Replace stock suspension w/quality replacement leaf springs, shocks & coilovers, adding mild lift (2.0" - 2.5")
  2. 32" quality multi/mud-terrain tires or maybe BFG A/T
  3. Rear Locker (if not already equipped)
  4. Quality on-board air compressor
  5. Hi-rise floor jack or hi-lift with wheel adapter
  6. Quick deploy sleeping solution (either roof tent or Oz tent for ground, depending on budget)
  7. 12V fridge (1st choice) or high quality ice chest (depending on budget). If fridge, I would carry a spare 12V battery or jump-start pack until I could do a dual-battery system.
  8. Cargo storage w/spares and supplies
  9. Stove, kitchen kit, & good bedding
Nine items seems like a long list, but I would consider that the basics for me. Your needs/wants may be entirely different though.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well for me I would do armour first. Sliders and front and rear bumpers. Then I would add a winch and storage boxes for all my tools, parts and gear. Next I would do a 2" suspension lift either OME or some kind of adjustable coilover and either ome or deaver springs out back. Then for tires I would run a mud terrain tire 1 or 2 sizes larger then stock. If budget is tight I would throw an add a leaf in the rear to help with the added wieght for trips till you get a good aftermarket suspension system. SInce you alrady have good rack on the topper you might consider a basket up top to hold lights, jack, shovel etc if you do not have plans for a R.T.T.

I like the advise about getting your electrical system set up before you add a million gadgets. It makes life simpler and cleaner in the end.

The beauty of a Tacoma is that stock they are a great rig for the kind of trips we do. So a few basic upgrades can get you just about anywhere you want to go with good driving.

It's always interesting to see how different people recomend starting a build. The biggest thing I have learned over all the cars I have built is to do a blue print. Map out a stategy of everything you want on the rig. Build a dream list. Then narrow it down to priorities. Once you have a blue print for the build it is easy to stay on task and not get distracted by the cool gadgets you discover along the way.

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
Nullifier said:
The biggest thing I have learned over all the cars I have built is to do a blue print. Map out a stategy of everything you want on the rig. Build a dream list. Then narrow it down to priorities. Once you have a blue print for the build it is easy to stay on task and not get distracted by the cool gadgets you discover along the way.

This is great advice! (I would also stay away from Pep Boys)

Pretty much everyone has put the same things on their lists, but in different order. What you do and when really has to do with the way you wheel and where you go. That said, here's my list and my reasons:

1. Armor- sliders first then a bumper or two because they protect the truck while you learn to wheel and give you a place to use #2.

2. Basic recovery tools- Hi-lift, two straps, D-shackles, shovel. Keep 'em handy and wheel with friends. I also include an air compressor or CO2 bottle in this category.

3. Communication and Navigation- get what your friends have to start with then expand. Become proficient with what ever navigation tool you choose (having it does no good if you don't know how to use it)

4. Locking differential- If you haven't been already, you'll be AMAZED what pretty much any stock truck will do with at least one locker.

5. Modular gear storage solution- you're starting to accumulate some stuff that needs a home. This can include a toolbox, rack, actionpackers, etc... Make sure it's all strapped down.

I would make the following upgrades in this order unless an existing component lets you down or you have to replace it during routine maintenance:

6. Suspension- It's pretty obvious what the system of choice for your truck is.

7. Tires- do some homework and see what works well for people who wheel similar rigs/trails/conditions as you. Make sure you get a matching spare.

8. Gears- What ever you need to compensate for the tires you just added. If you have to get into the front diff, put another locker in there too.

9. Winch- your truck will be pretty built by now and your wheeling buddies' trucks might not be. They'll try to follow you and you'll need to rescue them.

10. Comfort items- fridge, shower, fancy sleeping solution, etc... This will make your girlfriend or wife want to share your hobby with you which will allow for the purchase of additional upgrades. You may want to move this to #1 depending on your situation.

:camping:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Yeah, I like the green. I don't see too many green Dcabs.

I'm more of a "pay as you go", not a "pay to play" kind of guy. Predetermining your needs is a great suggestion but hard to do sometimes for your first build. What works for one guy may not be the best solution for your truck and needs.

Following BajaTaco, my top 9 suggestions and the order I would do it if starting from scratch -

1. A good recovery kit and straps, shackles, shovel, Hi Lift Jack w/ Lift-Mate wheel adaptor
2. CB Radio or 2M radio. Some form of communication.
3. Camping & comfort gear - tent, stove, chair, table, cooler or fridge if you're going to Baja
4. Storage - Rubbermaid tubs, Action Packers, roof rack, drawer set up, something to secure your gear
5. Tire upgrade. 32's are a great size with little impact on your trucks horsepower, gears and gas mileage
6. Good skidplates for your front end, and t-case
7. GPS and/or Gazetteer map books from your favorite states
8. Some tuneage. Sat radio, iPod, 10 disc CD player, something. It's a loooooong way to Wyoming from SoCal.
9. Tire deflators and a small air compressor. Upgrade the air compressor later if necessary.

I would wait until after your first couple of trips before adding heavy mods like sliders, bumpers and winches or expensive mods like suspension systems, gears and lockers. (I would add a locker before any of these other heavy and high dollar items though.)

But if you're not going to need them for the areas you enjoy exploring, why take on the cost beforehand? Save the money for gas and beer. If you find you do need them, Demello, Donahoe, Deaver and ARB will be ready when you are. ;)

xman

Observer
I want to thank you guys for all your help in what mods I should do first to my Taco DB 4x4. I made up list of the things I will probably add to my Taco by summer.

1.Tunes: I have an iPod and will likely get a SAT radio plus my Taco has a CD player.

2. Battery: I will upgrade my Taco's battery to either an Optima or Odyssey. I like the Odyssey as it has a much better warranty. Opinions?

3. Recovery Kit: I have tow straps, tire repair kit, shovel and will add in other items.

4. GPS: I am researching GPS models and prefer a handheld model for hiking, hunting and fishing.

5. Emergency: First aid kit (Got that).

6. Maglight flashlight/charger. I have this in my company car. It sure came in handy when I got a flat on the freeway late at night and was able to change the tire in 20 mins.

7. Locker: I don't have an e-locker and will get an ARB locker for the rear.

8. Suspension: My Taco is five years old and in excellent condition but I think a suspension upgrade should be high on my list. I am looking at an OME suspension upgrade or the popular Deaver, Bilsteins and Donohoes set-up. Let me know what you guys think of the OME suspension.

9. Tires: I have new Kumho AT tires on my Taco. I plan to keep them for at least a year and see how they perform offroad.

10. Communications: I will install a CB Radio.

This is my list for the first half of 2007.

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
Noice! :punk03:

Sounds like some good plans! I wouldn't worry too much (or at all) about tires, especially since you just got new ones. Just don't be afraid to air 'em down!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94