Mods To Store A Larger Tire In The Stock Location? (GM)

I have 285/70R17 (33") tires on my Chevy Express. Currently I carry the spare on an Aluminess rack which has been fine but I'd like to go back to storing the spare in the stock location.

The tire is too wide and a little too large to fully tuck into the stock spot so I'm wondering if anyone has modified the mount to accommodate a larger tire. I just checked it this evening but didn't have much time to get a good look at it. I have some rough ideas but would like to know if there's any easy ways to do this.

s.e.charles

I've seen vans pass me on the road with the tire dangling from the winch cable and almost hitting the pavement on a bump-stroke. I've heard of people getting a flat on the rear and having to crawl under trying to extricate their spare from the factory position.

I think what i'm trying to say is "don't". I understand that wasn't your question, but there's no other good threads in which to reply, and I need to keep my post count going.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
How far off are you? I fit ~30.5" tire (fully inflated) under my Astro van, and I could probably go even a little bigger. Note that I have to manually shove the tire away from the rail while I'm winching it up, but once it's in place, it fits great.

The other trick, if you're close to fitting, is to pull the valve stem and deflate the tire, then put a ratchet strap around it and compress it a bit. Obviously you'll want to carry a compressor to reinflate, but you should have one of those anyhow.

Len.Barron

Observer
The form and centerline of the original carrier are the problem (or I should say are the other problems, the stock winch is junk) the space between the frame rails will support a 35" tire, but, you'd have to cut out/modify/fab new holder in it's place. I just cut mine out and will use that space for batteries, air system, etc...
I'm also not a big fan of picking up on the rear door hinges for a swing out. I'm going to build off (out from) my CL-V receiver and make my own.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’ve haven’t used a spare in more than 20 years of wheeling on my Fj40. Onboard air reduces the likelihood of ever needing to use it. A spare is still necessary... but out of the way is good. If in doubt, Carry a second underneath.

45Kevin

Adventurer
I have a fully inflated 235/85/16 (almost 32") in the stock spare tire position.

And I have had flats. Most recently in Death Valley. It was punctured by a sharp rock, on the gravel road east of Eureka Dune road, beyond repair.

I've seen vans pass me on the road with the tire dangling from the winch cable and almost hitting the pavement on a bump-stroke. I've heard of people getting a flat on the rear and having to crawl under trying to extricate their spare from the factory position.

I think what i'm trying to say is "don't". I understand that wasn't your question, but there's no other good threads in which to reply, and I need to keep my post count going.

I don't want to be that guy for the reasons you mention. I've seen the dangling spare too many times myself. I'm just getting tired of having to open the thing every time I want to open the whole rear of the van, and it adds a noticeable amount of length to the vehicle.

How far off are you? I fit ~30.5" tire (fully inflated) under my Astro van, and I could probably go even a little bigger. Note that I have to manually shove the tire away from the rail while I'm winching it up, but once it's in place, it fits great.

The other trick, if you're close to fitting, is to pull the valve stem and deflate the tire, then put a ratchet strap around it and compress it a bit. Obviously you'll want to carry a compressor to reinflate, but you should have one of those anyhow.

I didn't take a picture with the tire in there, but the lateral frame rails angle up and inward which stops the side of the tire about 2-3" below the usual mounting position. Adding to that, the tire is several inches wider than stock. Combined, I bet there's at least 3" to go before the secondary latch can engage. I do carry a compressor but I'd really be deforming the tire. But trying that is free so maybe I'll try that this weekend when I rotate the tires.

The form and centerline of the original carrier are the problem (or I should say are the other problems, the stock winch is junk) the space between the frame rails will support a 35" tire, but, you'd have to cut out/modify/fab new holder in it's place. I just cut mine out and will use that space for batteries, air system, etc...
I'm also not a big fan of picking up on the rear door hinges for a swing out. I'm going to build off (out from) my CL-V receiver and make my own.

I can't say I'm into the thought of cutting a structural support on the frame. I'm not sure how much force goes through there but I may be towing a camper down the road and would hate to compromise the structure. I haven't thought about this till now, but is it possible to lower the winch? I'm sure there's nothing amazing about the stock one but it lifted my spare without much effort before the tire bottomed out.

I have a fully inflated 235/85/16 (almost 32") in the stock spare tire position.

And I have had flats. Most recently in Death Valley. It was punctured by a sharp rock, on the gravel road east of Eureka Dune road, beyond repair.

What year is your van? I'll have to take a measurement, mine didn't look like it would accept anything over 31 but I was just eyeballing. I like driving Racetrack in DVNP and have more places to explore, and I drive them fast so a flat out there is very possible.

s.e.charles

….. just getting tired of having to open the thing every time I want to open the whole rear of the van, and it adds a noticeable amount of length to the vehicle. ….

I completely empathise. is there any way you could mount the spare inside & vertical?

bein' all old school an', y'know? buy one of them fancy Naugahyde covers with your initial in ye olde english script; be bichun, eh?

Len.Barron

Observer
I can't say I'm into the thought of cutting a structural support on the frame. I'm not sure how much force goes through there but I may be towing a camper down the road and would hate to compromise the structure. I haven't thought about this till now, but is it possible to lower the winch? I'm sure there's nothing amazing about the stock one but it lifted my spare without much effort before the tire bottomed out.
Yes, obviously whatever you remove in the way of structure you'd need to replace/relocate/increase. The stock winches fill with road grit and lock up either going down or coming up, it's just a matter of when... there's 37" of room between the frame rails so you can do quite a bit if you aren't slaved to that original design.

Choff

Adventurer
Check the Spare tire if you run different tire size !!!! AWD !!!
GOODYEAR TRIPPLE TREAD ON ALL FOURS AND SPARE TIRE ALSO WITH SAME RIMS ON VAN
P265/70R17 WILL FIT UNDER FOR SPARE , HAD TO PUT AN NEW SPARE DROP DOWN WITH CABLE ,MINE WAS FROZE AND WOULD NOT BUDGE.

I completely empathise. is there any way you could mount the spare inside & vertical?

bein' all old school an', y'know? buy one of them fancy Naugahyde covers with your initial in ye olde english script; be bichun, eh?
For now I think this is what I'm going to do. It's not my favorite since I'm worried about stinking up the interior with rubber smell (I have a very, very sensitive nose) and it'll take up space when I'm toting a motorcycle but I can install ratchet strap tie-downs for free and see how it works. If I hate it, I'll try something else.

It's a 2007.
Check the sig line.
I don't know how you managed to pull it off. My tire is only an inch bigger and there's no way it'll go in. Do you have a picture of it stowed? I must be missing something.

Yakima also makes a inexpensive wheel mount for their Mega Warrior roof rack.
~snip~
It looks nice but I'm really trying to stay away from a roof rack. Plus the thought of hoisting an 81lb wheel/tire onto a roof over 7' off the ground sounds like a great way to get hurt. :(

sackettmw

Consider just carrying the largest tire that you can fit for daily use. Maybe a 235/80 17 as a spare. Since your van is 2wd you can put the odd tire on the front to get you out in the event of a blowout. Then carry a plug kit and compressor that will take care of most flats. Maybe use your rack or an inside mount for a full size spare if you going to blast around the desert but save the space the rest of the time when its probably not necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior