Modifying Truck Camper to Slide Completely on Flatbed

IndianaDano

All,

I have looked around and will more than likely have to figure it out on my own unless someone who reads/responds has done this before. I don't like the idea of have the camper (2021 Arctic Fox 990) hanging over the back of the flatbed. I have a F550 203" CA w CM 11'4" steel flatbed. I pick up the camper the second week of July so I don't have it to really have a solid game plan. I bought the camper as it was what I was looking for and knew I could modify it to make it closer to what I really wanted (Flatbed Hard Sided Camper). My thoughts at this point is to spend some time in it before cutting into it but beyond the aesthetics I will be towing a trailer w my runabout & motorcycle behind my rig in-between stops. Anyone who has done this and would be willing to pass along any "lessons learned" I would appreciate it. Saving time & money outside the School of Hard Knocks is what Im going for.

Thank you,
Dan

F550_w_Flatbed.jpg

1000arms

All,

I have looked around and will more than likely have to figure it out on my own unless someone who reads/responds has done this before. I don't like the idea of have the camper (2021 Arctic Fox 990) hanging over the back of the flatbed. I have a F550 203" CA w CM 11'4" steel flatbed. I pick up the camper the second week of July so I don't have it to really have a solid game plan. I bought the camper as it was what I was looking for and knew I could modify it to make it closer to what I really wanted (Flatbed Hard Sided Camper). My thoughts at this point is to spend some time in it before cutting into it but beyond the aesthetics I will be towing a trailer w my runabout & motorcycle behind my rig in-between stops. Anyone who has done this and would be willing to pass along any "lessons learned" I would appreciate it. Saving time & money outside the School of Hard Knocks is what Im going for.

Thank you,
Dan
9'10" floor on the your upcoming camper (if I looked it up right :cool: ) should fit on your 11'4" flatbed.

If you meant the sides, rather than the back, consider tool boxes on the sides. For ideas, see:

I suggest you buy, or make, a flatbed camper rather than cut up the 2021 Arctic Fox to fit. You could also modify or replace your current flatbed to obtain one more suitable for the truck camper you will be picking up.

A true flatbed truck camper allows for a side entry door. To see, scroll way down on:

IndianaDano

Thank you 1000arms. I did leave out that Im selling my house and needed to get a camper quickly so the ideal solution of having one built to order or one coming in that would meet the needs is more of timing issue. Eventually I will build my own but for the next few years I need to use the "off the shelf" camper the best I can.

1000arms

Thank you 1000arms. I did leave out that I'm selling my house and needed to get a camper quickly so the ideal solution of having one built to order or one coming in that would meet the needs is more of timing issue. Eventually I will build my own but for the next few years I need to use the "off the shelf" camper the best I can.
You are welcome.

Won't the Arctic Fox 990 9'10" floor fit on your flatbed?

IndianaDano

Yes it will but the main ask is around having the entire camper on the flatbed after modifications to allow that to happen. Seems simple but I’m also not looking for any major projects as I just want to get back out on the road to the digital nomad life I love. I’ll weigh it out once I spend time in the rig out on the road but as long as it meets the needs and it not too intrusive I’ll let roll until I’m ready to start a project.

You are welcome.

Won't the Arctic Fox 990 9'10" floor fit on your flatbed?
[/QUOTE

1000arms

zb39

Adventurer
My 2022 Host will slide on 8 feet 9 inches on my CM SK steel bed on my 2021 Ram 5500. The dump valve for the gray water and the gray water pipe are the only things keeping me from putting it on all the way. It's not an issue for me but I thought about moving them. Good luck with your project.

zb39

Adventurer
I have seen the video of those. They look very nice but are not for sale yet. I am waiting.

IndianaDano

I have the camper on the flatbed and I think I may end up going a diff direction if I can handle the lead time to get what I want...of course budget as well. Crazy I just bought this like 2wks ago and thinking about selling it (the Arctic Fox 990 not the truck).

DLC_F550_AF.jpg

Doslocos

Does it fit all the way on your flatbed? Kind of hard to tell from the picture. I have been looking at lots of different campers trying to find one that will fit all the way on the bed. Everything I have found so far needs plumbing remodel. Why you thinking of changing ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles