Modifying my LV-416 Explorer

60Dan

Explorer
What struts are you guys using to assist you on opening your lids?

My lid is very heavy and won't stay open by itself anymore, unless the tent is deployed

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I am replying here because your additions are awesome, especially your tailgate, and your thread needs to be up front and off of page 4.

Last edited:

60Dan

Explorer
Just got back from taking the trailer out for the last time this year.
Went up to Cordell Hull Lake with a few friends for 2 days.

Wanted to post a few pics as promised earlier before I tear the trailer down for paint.

Here are some of the electrical setup along with my KISS method of keeping a couple of jerrys secure without adding additional weight.

box1.JPG

box4.JPG

Just got this 100W solar panel yesterday from the deal posted here on expo - very happy with it so far. It was charging the battery very nicely with overcast skies yesterday!

Attachments

• box2.JPG
    box2.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 71
  • box3.JPG
    box3.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 70
  • solar.JPG
    solar.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
So great additions to the trailer, looks good. By the way I use 2 250 lbs struts on my lid, my lid and all the other stuff was too much for 2 150s so I had to change them out, I have no issues with it now.

60Dan

Explorer
Looks great! Is that a dimmer mounted inside the box?

Yup works great too!
I have LED light strips setup for the outside and inside with separate switches from the marine switch panel, but the strip of LED's off the dimmer functions independently.
Also have a 12v cig adaptor for charging cell phones, iPads or running a 12v electric blanket for those chilly nights.

Last few items on the list include more lights, a kitchen pelican case swing out (much like AT's), new tires and paint.
Lots of misc things to do but its getting close to being complete.

I was going to add a marine hatch to the side with a pull out drawer to access things inside the trailer but I think it will be more trouble than its worth.

60Dan

Explorer
So great additions to the trailer, looks good. By the way I use 2 250 lbs struts on my lid, my lid and all the other stuff was too much for 2 150s so I had to change them out, I have no issues with it now.

Thanks for the info. Where did you get your struts from?

60Dan

Explorer
2014 update ...

Finished breaking the trailer down yesterday. Finally after starting this project 3 years ago, this morning it went off to the paint shop :wings:

Mark Harley I think you will approve ;):D

Pics to follow hopefully by the end of next week

Last edited:

60Dan

Explorer
Back from paint

Pouring with rain when I picked it up yesterday so no shots of it in tow
Paint came out better than I expected. Makes the Landcruiser paint look old and tired!

Re-assembly to begin soon .... :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online