Modifying CVT Annex Connection

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I recently moved into an extended CVT Denali. It is the first tent I’ve owned with an annex. I’m not really a fan of having to pull the travel cover to hang the annex, so I turned it around. This had a few benefits, including rolling the cover up and not removing it for setup, and a much easier time stuffing material and not jamming the zipper when closing. However... now he zipper track is in the annex mount and just as annoying to remove. My solution was to buy RV awning track for mounting on the bottom of the tent. It appears that it will work nicely, with my only annoyance being that it was only available in black or white, and my only concern being that it seems thin, but certainly up to the task of holding an annex.

Before I start drilling and riveting, has anyone been down this road before? Any suggestions for success or pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks, and sorry about rotates images... not sure why apple hates me today!

FF5C27E8-6141-4A92-B67A-6675E1A66FB2.jpeg078465B8-501A-4FE6-A8AD-9CF21766D93A.jpeg3C2CF4CF-3648-4A9F-BC21-8C3EE5CF31D2.jpeg

Scoutman

Explorer
Typically all you do is add an additional section of awning track to the folding half of the tent (the half the ladders attach to). This new piece is what your annex slips into while the cover stays attached to the original track on the base half of the tent.
I'll see if I have an pictures.
Edit: if I have a picture I can't find it now.

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Typically all you do is add an additional section of awning track to the folding half of the tent (the half the ladders attach to). This new piece is what your annex slips into while the cover stays attached to the original track on the base half of the tent.
I'll see if I have an pictures.
Edit: if I have a picture I can't find it now.

yeah, that is what I’m doing. If we get through this Texas energy crisis at work and I manage to get home someday before dark I’ll knock it out this week.

Scoutman

Explorer
What I would say is to not use the plastic version of this awning rail. CVT used to sell it a few years back and I think has changed to use the aluminum version. I've gotten my awning stuck in that plastic rail a couple times and had to replace it.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Yes, it is done now, with LED lights added underneath as well, and some d-rings added to the cover side allowing rolling the cover and strapping it out of the way. I’m very happy! The lights themselves were a great addition.

3EE0C14F-2994-49E6-82D5-C83F867103C3.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles