Modifying an OM364/366LA Engine

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Has anyone modified an OM364LA or OM366LA engine to get more horsepower? If so what did you do? Which turbo did you go with? Did you change the Intercooler and Radiator? What about the IP? I added ~100hp to my OM617A on my 300GD and I am considering doing the same on my 814DA which has an OM364LA in it. I spoke to Dieselmeken about it and they can rebuild the IP for ~30-40% increase in fuel delivery. I'm curious if there's any real world experience out there for modifying these engines.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Talk to these good folks…among other things, they build rally caliber unimogs

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
I will reach out. Thanks!

So, I'm the first in the US to do this then?

I find that hard to believe.

Talk to these good folks…among other things, they build rally caliber unimogs

FYI: the OM366LA has a peak rating of 240hp/850Nm (more often 760Nm however) in late model U2450s.
Which means with possible mods you could get ~160hp safely out of the 364LA. Only 20 more than you have now.
And it’s imperative that you install a pyrometer and get a good baseline before doing ANYTHING to increase fuel delivery.

Rally Truck

I have modified two Unimog engines. The 352A with 10mm plungers put out 253 hp on a dyno. Cost about $8,000 to do this right.

My U1350L came with a 366LA Euro2 motor that originally put out 136hp. Using 100% factory parts I modified it to 240hp/850Nm. Standard Euro1 engines will put out 240 hp/760Nm. If you use all factory parts including the waste-gated turbo you will not need to worry about EGTs because MaBenz engineers tested the hell out of the engines in all kind of situations.
Modifications by increasing the fuel and not replacing the injectors, delivery valves, and turbos to factory specs will experience an increase of EGTs.

I spent several months researching the EPC to find out the differences of cams, exhaust manifolds, intercoolers, turbos etc. before I spent any money on parts. When you are all done it costs about $6,000 to do the 366 right.

By the way, Euro2 engines are the one to get, the torque curve has moved down a couple hundred RPMs and it makes a big difference driving experience, I love it!!

Reactions: mog

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for your input everyone!

Heres the catch. I don't have a Unimog. It's a Mercedes 814DA with an OM364LA. I seriously doubt an OM366LA will even fit in the dog house of this vehicle as it is 8" longer. That would move the dog house back to where the transmission currently is. So my option then is to either modify the OM364LA to the best of my ability or install a much newer OM924LA Bluetec engine which has the closest dimensions to the 364. I am very hesitant about a modern engine with ECU and DEF. Dieselmeken in Sweden can modify the 364 IP to increase fuel delivery about 30-40% so that would certainly help but I would need to increase cooling capacity too and install a larger turbo for it to be worthwhile. I'm still curious about your 366 modification because I think some of those could still apply to the 364. Like, if you did upgrade the turbo, intercooler, manifolds etc, what did you go with and why? What else did you change in the process? We're you able to increase cooling capacity?

IMG_7988 2.JPG

Rally Truck

You are in luck! 364LA shares parts with 366LA. You already have the hard to get parts, intercooler, manifolds, and piping.
To boost your 364LA to 180 hp requires the following:
Injector Nozzles MB A 002 017 55 12 Bosch 0 433 171 309

Rally Truck

Injector Nozzles Mercedes A 002 017 55 12 Bosch 0 433 171 309
Pump Element #89 Mercedes A 000 074 19 32 Bosch 1 418 415 544
Injection tips
You will need a waste gated turbo that delivers 2/3 the air than the Garrett 452085-5009 or the Mercedes A 366 096 79 99

Also

Rally Truck

Sorry I keep messing up this reply.
Injector tips 0 433 171 309

Set the RQV governor to 350/1500 this will give you a 700 RPM idle and 3,000 RPM top end

I highly recommend you send your fuel pump and injectors to a shop with a Bosch Pump Dyno. Do not use a guy that will turn up the fuel rack, you will generate excessive EGTs and lots of black smoke.
My 1996 Unimog 1350LM now has 240 hp and no smoke at all, even after a cold start.

Talk to Terry at Diamond Diesel in Oakland, CA or spend a bit more money and send the pump and injectors to Hellgeth.

Once your 814DA is modified to 180hp, you will have plenty of power for the hills, I do recommend that you change the rear end ratio to something better for the American freeways since you will have the power to pull the taller gears

Geo.Lander

Set the RQV governor to 350/1500 this will give you a 700 RPM idle and 3,000 RPM top end

I highly recommend you send your fuel pump and injectors to a shop with a Bosch Pump Dyno. Do not use a guy that will turn up the fuel rack, you will generate excessive EGTs and lots of black smoke.
My 1996 Unimog 1350LM now has 240 hp and no smoke at all, even after a cold start.

Talk to Terry at Diamond Diesel in Oakland, CA or spend a bit more money and send the pump and injectors to Hellgeth.

Once your 814DA is modified to 180hp, you will have plenty of power for the hills, I do recommend that you change the rear end ratio to something better for the American freeways since you will have the power to pull the taller gears

Hi @Rally Truck, bit of a noob regarding truck engines, I am having my OM 366 LA's fuel pump rebuilt and injectors tuned on a bosch bench over the summer, the shop says im looking at 250-280HP from 204., I was also wondering what EGTs is referring to?

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Unfortunately I just ordered new injectors from Germany and ended up with A 003 017 44 21. I plan to send the IP to Dieselmeken in Sweden as I already have one of their modified IPs on my other vehicle. They say they can increase fuel delivery by 30-40% on this particular IP. Hellgeth doesn't have any openings until 2022. I'm not sure I want to re-gear the rear end as I don't want to loose torque and crawl capacity. 60mph is plenty for this big dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste