Modern Farm Truck

Sorry for the hiatus. I've been focusing on other projects. But now it's back on the block, and this time, to completion.

I've got some updates, but I need to compile my pics first. Be back in a few days.

Happy New Year!

This truck is going to be a farm truck, hence the thread title. It will be carrying a 100 gallon tank for spraying fertilizer on the front of the bed. The customer asked if we could sink the tank into the front of the bed, but the stock fuel tank limited the depth it could go. So...F150 fuel tank install.

This is a pretty common swap in rock crawlers for guys who want to link the rear suspension or for trying to maximize underside clearance. There are problems with this swap though. Fuel pumps for this setup tend to be expensive and there are about 100 different pump setups so they're hard to chose from. This truck is carbureted so we didn't have that dilemna, but we still had to figure out how to get a fuel sender in it that worked properly.

With the decision to run a flat bed, mounting the tank was a bit easier as I could make it so the tank came out the top. Using 1.5" tubing, some 1/4 x 1.5" steel, a stock '83 Hilux for donor parts, we had enough to go on. Here are some pics. The pics should be self explanatory.

I forgot to mention the fuel sender. A stock Ford sender will make the Toyota gauge read backwards, so a new OEM Toyota unit for the '87 truck was modified to fit the new shallow depth of the Ford tank. It should work flawlessly.

scheefdog

Observer
Awesome build. I have an 88 XtraCab with a 3.4 swap that is a sleep currently (looks totally stock with the original chrome wheels). I have been debating how to upgrade the suspension and was thinking low-lift SAS, but now you have me considering doing a frame swap instead. I would do the same OME and high steer you did. Any thoughts on the amount of work (time and money involved) for the frame swap vs solid axle swap?

It's roughly the same amount of time, but I have a 2 post lift. If you don't have access to a lift, you can do it with about 4 guys. There are a couple differences between frames like the exhaust hangers and fuel lines, but nothing problematic.

The one caveat with the high steer is the low frame height. I had to order a set of custom flat steering arms from Front Range Off Road for this one, because the tall high steer arms from the common vendors allow only about 2.5" of up-travel, but knowing that can help save money next time.

Thanks!

Next up, flat steering arm install. As mentioned before, the raised steering arms and low ride height cause a bit of a concern. 2.5" of clearance from the tie rod to the oil pan is not enough. We were able to get an additional inch of clearance by sourcing a pair of flat steering arms from Diamond Axle (thanks Brian), and we had them custom drilled to move the drag link joint away from the tie rod joint so they didn't hit each other as they did on the other arms. I told him not to taper them so I could do it here

Raised arms.

Comparison.

Mock up with OEM IFS wheels. I was concerned that the positive offset of the wheels would be a problem. It wasn't.

Tapering of holes.

Install.

Love new parts.

It's good to get to finish something for a change. This year has been very unpredictable. I still have 4 projects under construction at this very moment and ALL of them need to be finished soon. Juggling jobs takes a toll on my pea brain.

Simons

Adventurer
Happy new year to you too sir! Glad to have so many updates to my favorite reading materials (;
Cheers!

Happy new year to you too sir! Glad to have so many updates to my favorite reading materials (;
Cheers!

Hey Man! How's it going up there in the great white north?

I have been making plenty of progress. Got the electric locker wired and Scion seats mounted as well as a few other odds and ends. Too busy to post pics now, but maybe over the weekend.
Matt

Simons

Adventurer
I'm enjoying this el'niño winter. Barely making a dent in the wood pile!
That's great that you're busy, it keeps those creative juices flowing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94