Modern Farm Truck

The Tundra SAS is still in the planning stages. It's the same customer as the farm truck above and he is a die hard Toyota guy. He's got a 2008 2wd short bed/ short cab Tundra with a supercharger and TRD everything, a 2011 FJC, a 1987 4Runner (Superrunner), the modern farm truck and a 2005 Tundra 4x4 which he uses as his primary farm vehicle. If Toyota made farming equipment, he'd probably have it.

He keeps breaking balljoints on the front end and I am trying to talk him into a simple FJ80 style radius arm setup for it, using a custom FJ80 based housing. He wants a 3 link, but I'm trying to get him to see that for a farm truck, a radius arm will be stronger with less all-around hassle.

He also wants me to install a T56 in his 2wd Tundra. And we're talking about stuffing a 3UR-FE or an LS6 in his FJC, then use the 4.0 1GR-FE out of it to build another 4Runner. We're also designing custom rear brakes for the 2wd to match the TRD big brake kit he has up front.

I think he's nuts, but I like his style and I love building trucks for him.

stoverjoe

I literally stared at that glorious rack of steel in the back of s couple of your pics for 5 minutes... all that raw material just begging to be cut, bent and welded. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

That's funny. I try to keep a good assortment because getting steel is a 3 hour ordeal for me.

I just bought a plasma table so now I get to figure out where to store the 4x8 sheets...

thethePete

Explorer
^ When my dad had his shop up and running, we had our sheet metal on edge on the floor in front of our tube stock which was on a rack against the wall, much like how you have yours. Left ourselves just enough room to get at the tube stock between the racks. May be a bit unweildly for thicker material though, we didn't stock anything thicker than 1/8" plate. What about a lean-to off the side of the building outside? I see a forklift, that'd let you store it flat too, and not take up any space in the shop. Looks cozy. Our rack for the material was basically what looked like two combs bolted to the floor about 5' apart. Just some food for thought.

rickashay

Explorer
The Tundra SAS is still in the planning stages. It's the same customer as the farm truck above and he is a die hard Toyota guy. He's got a 2008 2wd short bed/ short cab Tundra with a supercharger and TRD everything, a 2011 FJC, a 1987 4Runner (Superrunner), the modern farm truck and a 2005 Tundra 4x4 which he uses as his primary farm vehicle. If Toyota made farming equipment, he'd probably have it.

He keeps breaking balljoints on the front end and I am trying to talk him into a simple FJ80 style radius arm setup for it, using a custom FJ80 based housing. He wants a 3 link, but I'm trying to get him to see that for a farm truck, a radius arm will be stronger with less all-around hassle.

He also wants me to install a T56 in his 2wd Tundra. And we're talking about stuffing a 3UR-FE or an LS6 in his FJC, then use the 4.0 1GR-FE out of it to build another 4Runner. We're also designing custom rear brakes for the 2wd to match the TRD big brake kit he has up front.

I think he's nuts, but I like his style and I love building trucks for him.

Encourage away... I'll sit here and watch these builds all day long! FJ with 3UR or LS6 would be epic.

^ When my dad had his shop up and running, we had our sheet metal on edge on the floor in front of our tube stock which was on a rack against the wall, much like how you have yours. Left ourselves just enough room to get at the tube stock between the racks. May be a bit unweildly for thicker material though, we didn't stock anything thicker than 1/8" plate. What about a lean-to off the side of the building outside? I see a forklift, that'd let you store it flat too, and not take up any space in the shop. Looks cozy. Our rack for the material was basically what looked like two combs bolted to the floor about 5' apart. Just some food for thought.

A 4x8 sheet of .250 thick A36 steel weighs about 350lbs. In the past I have had to drill a hole in one side and use a clevis and the cherry picker to move one around (I work alone), but now that I have the forklift, flat storage makes sense.

I have a shop layout redesign in the works, but with my current workload, I don't see it happening any time soon. I figured that with a mezzanine on one side of the shop (10 ft x 60 ft) I will have enough upstairs room to have my office (which is now in the house) all my small parts storage and even a spot to put things like axles and engines, leaving me enough room on the shop floor to put my two lifts side by side for better shop floor traffic flow. This will allow me to have two, possibly even three projects in progress at any given time. Right now I can only really have one in progress. This new layout will also give me room to have two dedicated sealed off rooms, one for the dirty plasma table and one clean room for building axles, diff and engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier