Mod Xterra or Sell for Jeep?

baytrev

Hello Fellow Adventures!
I have a 2014 Nissan Xterra S with 90k miles on it. I enjoy the truck a lot and was about to lift it 3", add 285s tires, winch bumper and etc, but then had the thought if I should sell it and buy a Jeep Unlimited to mod. I was debating a 2012-2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited that has about 50-65k miles for about $25k. I could possibly profit $3k (still owe about $8k) from my xterra and put it towards the jeep but my loan payments will be roughly $100 more per month than my Xterra loan. The reason I consider the Jeep is because I had a 2002 Jeep TJ "back-in-the-day" and kind of miss the toughness of it and the ability to take off the doors and top. I dont do rock crawling but adventure around on fire roads in the Sierra Nevadas or at Hollister OHV. The Xterra does a lot for me and I love all the storage options, but before committing to modding I wonder if it will be a better idea to save the mod money (~$5k)and put it towards a jeep. The Xterra is my DD fyi.

So I present my internal debate to the community. I would appreciate the input!

Thanks!

Last edited:

GB_Willys_2014

This only makes sense if you really want a Jeep for purely subjective reasons.

Otherwise, objectively, don't do it. Certainly, from a financial perspective, it would make the most sense to stay where you are.

cgnjeep

Observer
If you enjoy your Xterra I would say finish paying it off and enjoy being out of debt. Unless you're doing extreme rock crawling or "muddin" I don't see an off-road advantage to the Jeep, the Xterra's suspension is also more comfortable off-road. I can't count the amount of times I'd be on a trail exploring out here in BC thinking "thank god I have a Jeep" just to find an old beat up subaru or even a civic at my destination.
If you absolutely want the open air feel then you don't have a choice really!

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I think the real decision making factors would be found in the process of learning about debt and money management. You'll be told a hundred ways you can "come out ahead" slinging debt around, and none of them make any sense if you get out a calculator and figure out that not paying to use other people's money is more profitable than renting cash.

The Xterra is the more fiscally responsible choice. You mod a paid for rig, not one the bank owns. Put your supposed $3k or $5k whatever you got toward paying off the X or it sounds like you'll just perpetuate the debt cycle. If you owe people money, you don't have expendable cash for anything. (Maybe an exception if you make payments on something like a house IF the property will increase in value faster than you pay interest.) Guess what, when you don't have a payment leeching your funds, it's amazing what money you have for mods.

I wheeled a basically stock PRO-4X for years. Extremely capable truck even stock, perfect for fire roads and not quite rock crawling. I bumped up to 285 aggressive tires. The locker is the only major ace in the hole I'd have over a S model. Put a locker in the rear and real skids on it and you are instantly better equipped than a stock PRO-4X. Of course I'm a little better heeled now with a mild 2" lift and winch among other things, I still don't see a need for a full armor front bumper, they are heavy and meant for rough wheeling. I haven't added up mod cost, but $5k I'd say would get you to a similar place if you do the labor yourself.

I'm not a fan of Jeep's but I don't hate on them either, however the initial cost of a newer one is extravagant. Modding is easier and cheaper thanks to volume and availability of aftermarket, but you loose your originality. There is no other Xterra like mine, and only a very limited few that are closely similar. Granted it's a more difficult road to mod with limited choices. Build a Jeep from the 4wheelparts catalogue, you'll see your twin at a stop light within a few months. If you want a Jeep great, but since you are talking about payments my .02 (purely opinion) is you can't afford one just yet. (But you very well could soon enough.)

I've been DD'ing, wheeling, and taking trips in my X for about 7 years with no major mechanical issues to speak of, just routine replacement of things that wear out or don't like having mud in them. (Pretty much just replacing seals.) I have about 140k miles on it. The Xterra is not a bad choise at all and it's what you already have, no disrespect to Jeeps intended.

Sell it buy the jeep they dont make xterras any more ? so parts mods etc will become less availble
if you have never owned a jeep then you wont undestand but there is comradery there you wont find in many other vehicles it is a way better platform to begin with with more after market support all of my 4x4 have been daily drivers for the jast 12 years they have all been jeeps i sold my 08 Rubicon 4dr forb11500 with 175000 on it jeeps hold their value ITHINK the xterra had great potential and should have evolved to be as capable as a nissan patrol however nissan had other plans for me i want a company that sticks with its products that is not nissan

glazener24

My first 4x4 was a Xterra, so it I have a soft spot for them. Given your situation, I'd keep the Xterra, unless the Jeep bug is something you can't ignore. I now have a 2014 Rubicon with the full AEV JK350 package, and it is undoubtedly **************...but the Xterra is a great 4x4, and a more comfortable ride on the road. Good luck on whichever road you decide to take!

Smileyshaun

Observer
here's a good question , are you going to feel comfortable banging and scratching up a 25-30k rig ? How much driving are you doing daily ? Do you drive long distances to explore? Jeeps are great and I love them but if I was doing lots of miles I would take the xterra hands down .

vanmichel

If you mod the xterra and throw $3-5k at it, are you still going to turn around and want a Jeep?

If a Jeep is what you truly want, you'll always want it and it's best to just rip the band aid.

G0to60

Observer
I used to own an Xterra (facelift first gen supercharged) and it was a great rig. My wife now owns a 17' JKU so I can kind of compare. The Xterra will be much better on the road and on gravel tracks. I feel that it will hold more gear also but I'm not certain. The Jeep will do better when things get really hairy but drives like an old truck on the road and isn't as comfortable. Like what was previously mentioned the aftermarket for the Jeep is huge so modding will be very easy compared to the Xterra. But also like what was mentioned you will see 5 Jeeps for every Xterra (maybe more) so you are a bit more unique in the Xterra. Personally, if I was in your position, I would stick with the Xterra and mod it up like you said. Drive it until it's paid off and then reevaluate your needs. If you felt that the Xterra was on the edge of it's abilities then maybe look at getting a JKU or even JLU.

I drove my 08 rubicon as a daily driver for 10 years and 175000 miles i routinely drove from san diego to Malibu and back for work never bothered me i cant say how an xterra rides but i can say that my jeep rode way way better than my stock o7 Tacoma double cab ever did once a vehicke goes out of production the market price will drop unless there is a demand like for xj by the way the new jeep is oretty fantastic i threw some bfg ko2 in a 35 on it stock rides really good maybe think sbout a jl sport do your self a favor go test drive them dont limit your self to jeeps though check out a bunch of 4x4 then carefully weigh the pros and cons just say ******

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier