MOD Xterra or Sell for Jeep?

baytrev

Hello Fellow Adventures!
I have a 2014 Nissan Xterra S with 90k miles on it. I enjoy the truck a lot and was about to lift it 3", add 285s tires, winch bumper and etc, but then had the thought if I should sell it and buy a Jeep Unlimited to mod. I was debating a 2012-2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited that has about 50-65k miles for about $25k. I could possibly profit $3k (still owe about $8k) from my xterra and put it towards the jeep but my loan payments will be roughly $100 more per month than my Xterra loan. The reason I consider the Jeep is because I had a 2002 Jeep TJ "back-in-the-day" and kind of miss the toughness of it and the ability to take off the doors and top. I dont do rock crawling but adventure around on fire roads in the Sierra Nevadas or at Hollister OHV. The Xterra does a lot for me and I love all the storage options, but before committing to modding I wonder if it will be a better idea to save the mod money (~$5k)and put it towards a jeep. The Xterra is my DD fyi.

So I present my internal debate to the community. I would appreciate the input!

Thanks!

Last edited:

4runnerteq

Explorer
Uh, not just no, but hell no. At 90k the X is just getting started. Even If you spend $5k on it, that's a lot different than $25k on a JEEP. Do in stages man. Lift and tires if you want. Bumper. Then winch. Who says you gotta do everything at once.

xtracrispy

Jeeps are cool and capable vehicles however I think you'd end up with a lot nicer truck for the money by modding the Xterra. I miss my 2005, sometimes wish I had kept building it up. I'd start with something like a PRG Ultimate lift, with 2.5 coilovers would be my preference, maybe titan swap if you want more travel.

bushnut

Adventurer
Before you mod anything or buy a different truck, just what is it about the stock vehicle that isn’t working for you? Start with that. You said you aren’t into rock crawling, why a 3 inch lift? You don’t need all the trick stuff for adventuring.

justbecause

perpetually lost
3k doesnt make a very big dent in 25,000

I had a TJ back in the day too, some days when its real nice out and I have the windows down I think about having another one, then I remember all the time I spent working on it, or standing in line at advance auto... when I think about how much time I spent keeping my jeep on the road, thats when I really love my truck.

baytrev

Before you mod anything or buy a different truck, just what is it about the stock vehicle that isn’t working for you? Start with that. You said you aren’t into rock crawling, why a 3 inch lift? You don’t need all the trick stuff for adventuring.

when i do offroad, sometimes my skids do get scraped so a lift could be beneficial. but to be honest, a 3 inch lift with 285s looks natural and great on a Xterra

baytrev

Uh, not just no, but hell no. At 90k the X is just getting started. Even If you spend $5k on it, that's a lot different than $25k on a JEEP. Do in stages man. Lift and tires if you want. Bumper. Then winch. Who says you gotta do everything at once.

great point man! i should do it stages and to see where my needs lie

Webe

I own both an 05 Xterra & an 08 Jeep Unlimited. The Jeep is a way smoother ride and do to its build goes anywhere. Xterra has a 2.5" Emu lift with 285s for tires. Does well but a rougher ride. However, big thing is what do you like to drive? Xterra is more expensive to build if you go to the full axle up front long arm 3 link suspention. But still will you have more money into buy a Jeep and modding it? Most likely as your Xterra is paid down. For my preference if you do get a Jeep, the 07 - 10 may have the weaker motor the 11+ but a whole lot less electrical issues. I've got around 45K into my Jeep. Bought for 17K and the rest is mods. You could build a very nice Xterra for that and not add to your monthly vehicle payments.

Bamps

I wouldnt go straight axle in the front end, I’ld go Titan swap on that and find me an elocker M225 rearend for it. With ARB air lockers up front. That would be cheaper than the Jeep too

I have a 2005 Xterra with a 3 inch Nisstec lift and a rear locker on it. These two mods cost me $7k all said and done. I can tell you from my experience that modding the Xterra is more expensive due to scarcity of vendors and the difficulties of dealing with independent front suspension. It also will never be as capable as a wrangler even if you do the Titan swap which is more costly and will give you the max travel you can get out of that front end but still short of solid axle as in the case of a Jeep. Where the Xterra shines is the ability to carry more load and toe more. Also in certain conditions for example on dirtroads the IFS suspension is usually better than solid front axle because it can absorb bumps better.

billiebob

I was debating a 2012-2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited that has about 50-65k miles for about $25k
I'm betting you will lose half the payload carrying capacity of the Xterra.
Compare that before deciding.

On the modding thing, I have an '05 Rubicon and have done the lift and highline and discos and... thing. Over the past 2 years I've gotten rid of the lift, now full stock suspension plus 33s, which fit fabulous with the highline, and a winch. I don't think I'll ever lift/mod another Jeep. They are incredibly capable from the factory and every mod you do just exposes a weak link.... needing another mod.

The one mod I'd do everytime is selectable lockers, front & rear. I have often been in a spot where a winch was the only answer, until you lock up... locked up you just keep driving. And lockers let you tread lightly. No wheelspin or drama if you know how to drive.

Wrangler/Xterra ?? Decide if you can live with the lighter payload/towing capability.

Last edited:

Obrianmcc

Observer
Starting with similar platforms with similar mileage.. IMO the Jeep will start to nickle and dime you. IMO Jeep gets and A+ for capability, but a much lessor score for long term reliability.

SRStaff

Observer
Driver skill will effect alot of factors. I have left a TJ Rubicon on 35" pit bull growlers in the rocks while I was on 31" AT3s. All I had was a front locker. I drive 1st gen. I have to take the easy trails for the jeeps on 33s to follow me. Had a 2nd gen Xterra on 33's be able to follow me where I ever without issue. If you want the reliability; keep the Xterra. Last time Jeep kinda thought about reliability was when they made the 4.0 motor. I am over 200k and it is just breaking it in. The 4.0 in the 2nd gen Xterra is runs just the 1st gen but with better power.

trasko

Adventurer
What I'm wondering is if this is your DD and you aren't doing hard-core crawling then why would you want something different? It sounds like it is working for you and you have $100/mo to spend on one of your other hobbies. ;-)

Mod the X. A titan swapped X on 33's is incredibly capable. I agree with what others here have said for the most part. Rear locker is very useful and has gotten me up every trail ive tired in Moab including Top of the World and others. Front locker is a very seldom used luxury. Winch could be money better spent IMO. When moding my moto is "keep it light is right". Here's some pix.

IMO the biggest perk of the X is the community. Tnx forum and the GoneMoab annual event.
1470705d9e48279175ea27b58a51024b.jpg
63eaf0cbc683b5044bca5391a2afa5ef.jpg
fd0eb78b8da3acad6a7f7fa72d263c3b.jpg
3e5409cf287a14e559db5ea20255a031.jpg
38c93b1e2cab6bddb96abf9f219c346d.jpg
c091a7d0249c0950e04d0cb3f6dbb12f.jpg
a63c1022370a7f05f6f2fd24d9192816.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member