Moby1 owners?

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
irish1371 said:
hum only thing stopping me from going with the TD style over a RTT is just the possibility of feeling claustrophobic inside one????? Any feedback from anyone that has slept inside one?​

We don't own a Moby (but they look sweet!) but we have our 5x10 homebuilt and have used a 5x8 Silver Shadow. Claustrophobia has never been an issue. We added a window to ours, but the door lets in enough "outside" that it's really un-necessary. The cabin interior is really quite light and does not feel as small as it is....​

Last edited:

dozer2

Our Teardrops are surprisingly roomy. A common question for our smallest trailers meant to be towed behind motorcycles is "do you actually fit in there?" At 6' 3" in a 6' 7" space it is quite comfortable. I spent two weeks straight last summer with my wife in our 4' x 6' 8" C2 model. It was awesome. I don't like tight small spaces and have had my share of snow caves and small mines but have never had an issue with our trailers, they're just awesome.

Dennis actually did come visit our shop and placed a deposit, I guess he's too busy finishing his house to comment on his visit. He seemed quite impressed, (hence the deposit). A world of difference over a tent even the awesome RTT's, and a go anywhere capability.

tuckernielson

So today I went down to the Moby1 manufacturing facility to check out a nearly complete XTR. As I will be putting a deposit down in the near future I probably shouldn't be negotiating against myself but I couldn't have been more impressed. The level of engineering and construction far exceeds anything I have ever seen. The other thing I was impressed with is its size. It has an aggressive stance and ground clearance is impressive. Inside is a roomy sleeping space finished off with nice wood (birch?) the overall design is very well thought out - nothing is there that doesn't need to be there. Hopefully the owner will post a ton of pictures - I snapped a few for myself but was asked not to share them as the product isn't finished.

I'm really looking forward to owning a Moby1 trailer. I'd love to hear from those who have actual experience with a Moby1. Anybody?

hollaback55

Explorer
couple with dogs

do you think it is roomy enough for 2 people (5'9" and 5'5") and 2 dogs (bull terriers 60, and 45 lbs) without feeling cramped? thats my major concern. I love the look and stance of these trailers but I'm just worried its going to feel too small when we are all in there at night or during inclement weather. I was planning on adding a hannibal awning and changing room but the dogs won't be in there with bad weather, they'll be inside with us.

thanks

deymann

Hi Ashley, I just came across this. I had posted a comment on your trailers, just in the wrong place I guess. I copied and pasted below. ;-)

Originally Posted by deymann
Originally Posted by STREGA
Hello Dennis, I was searching threads on Moby1 trailers and came across one you had posted in, in it you said you were going to check out their shop in person. Anyway I was curious on what you saw/learned about their trailers and your thoughts on their buisness in general? BTW I'am the guy you called a few weeks ago about the So-Cal Krawler, glad to see you were able to sell your Sierra 4x4 trailer. Thanks Doug.

Hi, I went out a few weeks ago. He has a nice big shop, clean and well organized. He was in the process of finishing up a pretty custom build of an XTR. I liked what I saw and the trailer looked to be of very good quality and craftsmanship. It is only Ashley and his brother building right now so it's pretty slow. He told me he's in the process of getting more equipment and hiring more help. He also told me it will be the end of April before I can expect to get my trailer. I think he said he has 4 or 5 ahead of me.

Dennis

tuckernielson

do you think it is roomy enough for 2 people (5'9" and 5'5") and 2 dogs (bull terriers 60, and 45 lbs) without feeling cramped?

Well the XTR that I saw was equipped with a standard size queen bed. If you and your partner and dogs can fit comfortably on a queen bed then yes. The inside of the 'teardrop' was very roomy.

I've got a wife and 4 kids. We plan on getting a Moby1 trailer and put a rooftop tent on it (Hannibal or Eezi-Awn). Wife and one or two of the little ones inside and me and the bigger kids up top. Plenty of room.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
hum only thing stopping me from going with the TD style over a RTT is just the possibility of feeling claustrophobic inside one????? Any feedback from anyone that has slept inside one?
Levels of claustrophobia are a very personal variable.
I literally couldn't go inside my friend Tennmogger's Alaskan topper on his 1300L Unimog ---- it just spun my head.
But my wife and I are perfectly happy inside our teardrop. I think it's a combination of the light-colored wood finish, lack of "busy-ness" of the interior, and also getting used to the idea that it's your space...

Going from the huge space that we had with our Conqueror to the small cabin of the teardrop required a period of adaptation. But it passed faster than I though and I like life with the teardrop much much better than with the Conqueror. It's just so nice to be able to park the rig and climb in back and just go to sleep sometimes.
And the small size means no heater (dog).

I'm 6'5" and very wide-built. My wife is 5'5" and athletic as well --- the dog is 50 pounds.
I've got a 6'X10" box with a 68"X83" mattress though. It's not easy to be big...
It's not a Moby1 but it's the same idea. If a teardrop is right for you, I think you just sorta feel it and want one. It costs more than many well-optioned trailers and RVers will give you the strangest looks. But if it's for you, you won't care; you'll be a happy camper.

Here's a slideshow of our first 12 months of use.

STREGA

Explorer
do you think it is roomy enough for 2 people (5'9" and 5'5") and 2 dogs (bull terriers 60, and 45 lbs) without feeling cramped? thats my major concern. I love the look and stance of these trailers but I'm just worried its going to feel too small when we are all in there at night or during inclement weather. I was planning on adding a hannibal awning and changing room but the dogs won't be in there with bad weather, they'll be inside with us.

thanks

If you went with a 60" wide cabin you would probably be good, just depends on how much elbow room you need to be comfortable. The 2 dogs would take up about the same room as a 10 year old child. My wife and I (shes about 5'4" and I'am 6' even) had a 48" wide TD that we shared with a 20 lb dog and it was quite cozy, when we used a 54" wide TD it made a big difference mainly at the shoulders but all 3 of us just had more room to stretch out more.

I'am also going to stop by the Moby1 HQ in mid February to get a better look at their trailers up close. I will post up my thoughts when I get back, but I'am sure they will mirror what has been already said.

BradWarren

Moby1 XC

We ordered a Moby1 XC a few months ago, supposed to pick it up in March. We visited the factory in Springville on our way to Moab- great to see firsthand. Great build quality, very impressive. Of course, haven't used it yet but I'm sure it will be awesome. I'll report further after our first trip in it. We ordered the 60" model, it's my wife and I and dog. A regular queen mattress fits in it. Highest quality materials/parts throughout.

Last edited:

hollaback55

Explorer
strega - we are definitely looking at the 60" wide model. I know roominess is subjective but we dont mind be a bit cozy with the dogs. We did fine on our expedition with an eezi awn globetrotter which as a footprint of 63" wide. That was quite roomy and had tons of length to it to stretch out. I'm thinking 60x80 would be just about perfect.

STREGA

Explorer
In post #39 I mentioned I was planning on stopping by Moby1 which I did last Friday. Like Dennis (Deyman) posted they have a nice shop that is clean and very organized. I looked at a couple of trailers while I was there, one was the motorcycle sized trailer and a XTR that was mostly done. The quality of the build was impressive and Ashley has a lot of great ideas. The cabinetry was very nice, the drawers, doors and latches all worked smoothly. I also like how he does his doors and rear hatch, they were very solid and should seal out dust/water well. I'am hoping to order a trailer from them in the near future. :sombrero:

hollaback55

Explorer
did you get a chance to sit/lay down in the XTR. trying to determine if it will be big enough for my fiance and I and our 2 bull terriers or if it will feel claustrophobic. I'm thinking of flying out there in April to see them in person and if the roominess of the 60" wide model is good put down a deposit.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
did you get a chance to sit/lay down in the XTR. trying to determine if it will be big enough for my fiance and I and our 2 bull terriers or if it will feel claustrophobic. I'm thinking of flying out there in April to see them in person and if the roominess of the 60" wide model is good put down a deposit.

Save yourself the trip with some CAD (cardboard aided design) work. Get the interior dimensions for the Moby and do a full-size cardboard mock-up in your living room. Cut in the proper doors and windows (if it has windows) in the walls and climb inside. You should realize very quickly if you'll have enough room for all of you.

STREGA

Explorer

No we did not, having real world experience using a couple of tear drops I'am good with the interior room they have. I was more concern with looking over the build quality which I feel is very good. Actually the XTR we saw at the shop was big compared to the So-Cal Krawler I was using last year. Some of that is due to it being wider and taller than the So-Cal I used but also because the Moby1 doesn't have the traditional tear drop profile but is squarer(boxier?) which makes it even roomier with more usable space. I wouldn't talk you out of coming out and seeing them in person but it is a long ways to go for you, for me it was a 5 hour drive and we did a couple other fun things while in the area. If you are looking at a 60" wide cabin a queen size bed will give you a good idea on the size of it inside, IIRC it was 48" tall, the short body is a couple inches shorter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles