Moby1 owners?

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
From the recent posting on the FJ Cruiser forum...

I am the owner of Moby1. To answer Silver Bolts question we build the frame out of tube steel and the body is built like a tough and tight box with hardwood cabinet members and hardwood plywood sidewalls with a UV cured finish (very durable and scratch resistant). We have worked hard to make sure the functionality and design is efficient, tough, and user friendly. We continuously make improvements to our trailers to make back country travel and exploration more enjoyable.

To demonstrate our trailers toughness, we flipped one on its side after hitting someone else's spare tire on the freeway doing about 50 mph in bumper to bumper Easter holiday construction traffic, pushed the trailer back up on its wheels and drove off. It suffered with only a damaged hatch hinge and a large scratch down the side (I also attribute its survival to our own free axis coupler, which the UHP said should be required on all trailers as they always shatter into a million pieces).

Yes our trailers are not cheap, but you get what you pay for. You can always bring it back and add options on to save money on the initial purchase price. We engineered them to be a long life product that will withstand trips without incident year after year. We don't buy into "Planned Obsolescence" or use the cheapest materials we can find to cut our costs. We also test them by dragging them all over the San Rafael Swell, Moab the local mountains and trails such as Hole in the Rock (120 miles of washboard hell).

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...tah-members-moby1-trailers-2.html#post2207742

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I do know that Moby 1 is one of the best looking teardrops out there but in that the company has a major problem with it's suspension failing and also with the company having major problems with filling it's orders[some as much as 9 months behind promised date of completion] this is one trailer that the buyer should be VERY leary about.

Wow! Interesting thoughts from somebody that has only two posts on the forum.Do you have any documentation on the failing suspensions?

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Moby1 Suspension?

I do know that Moby 1 is one of the best looking teardrops out there but in that the company has a major problem with it's suspension failing and also with the company having major problems with filling it's orders[some as much as 9 months behind promised date of completion] this is one trailer that the buyer should be VERY leary about.

You must be mistaken. As far as I know there are only a few XTR's out there. I was at Moby1's shop in September. The trailing arm system I saw being fabricated was beefier that anything I've seen on an off road trailer....including my AT Chaser.

I'm interested to hear WHO has had failures. I second LexusAllTerrain's comment regarding documentation, show me the money!! :)

Maybe Moby1 will chime in on this.

dozer2

I am the owner of Moby1. It is true there are not a lot of trailers out there as the XTR is a fairly new product for us, so ownership is a rather exclusive club at present. But let the truth be told that we have not had a failure! These comments (I am told) were posted by a disgruntled roommate of the user "bfgair" and not by the actual user.

Our suspension system is extremely robust and I will post photo's just as soon as the current build (for a certain Hollywood celeb) is completed. It should be at the powder coaters early next week and we'll post pics afterward. This project is the coolest thing we have done so far with some custom awnings built for us by Hannibal Safari S.A. (who we are now the North American importer and distributor for).

I appreciate the support from the members of this forum for having our backs and for the feedback and input on our products.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Hollywood celebrity, let me guess it must be....:Wow1:

Looking forward to some of his pictures!

I know some MMA fighter was also looking into Moby trailers, good luck with the sales!

andysgreenxj

Observer
Im fairly new to this site, and have seen some really cool products, as well as some really awesome builds, which by the way has prompted me to build one of my own! That being said, Id def buy one of these trailers. The attention to detail is very impressive...:drool:

deymann

Silver-Bolt, I just sold my Sierra 4x4 trailer today and I'm going to Utah next Friday to look at an XTR that is almost done. I'f I am happy with their build quality, I am leaving a deposit for one. If you want, I can let you know what happens.

Dennis

D110DC

Deymann,

I would also be interested in your visit to Moby1, and your opinion about their trailer build quality and design. I am considering it as one of several teardrop off-road designs.

Many thanks for your input.

Pete

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Silver-Bolt, I just sold my Sierra 4x4 trailer today and I'm going to Utah next Friday to look at an XTR that is almost done. I'f I am happy with their build quality, I am leaving a deposit for one. If you want, I can let you know what happens.

Dennis

Please do, and take some pictures of their build stages if possible, let us know what your honest opinion is!

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Pete: If I didn't have the Conqueror Commander, ... I would so be on a Moby1. I have heard nothing but good things. It is also my understanding that Hannibal is going with multiple distributors in the US and Moby is one of them. I love the picture with the RTT and Awning on the tear drop.
If you get one ... let me know! Love to see it.
D

STREGA

Explorer

Dennis

Dennis,

I'am also interested in what you found out at Moby 1 as well. BTW I'am the guy you called about the So-Cal Krawler a few weeks ago. Thanks Doug.

TwinStick

Explorer
Also interested in a Moby 1 XTR. In depth pics & a write up by an XTR owner would be awesome !!! :drool: I am sure our 08' Dodge Power Wagon w/G56 would have no issues pulling it anywhere i would want to go.

irish1371

Adventurer
hum only thing stopping me from going with the TD style over a RTT is just the possibility of feeling claustrophobic inside one????? Any feedback from anyone that has slept inside one?

STREGA

Explorer
irish1371,

I had a homebuilt TD that had a 4' wide cabin for a couple of years and had use of a So-Cal TD that was 4 1/2' wide and never felt claustrophobic in either of them. The extra 6" of width the So-Cal TD had really made a big difference in comfort though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles