Moby1 Going Out Of Business? Has Anyone Received A Deposit Return?

JakeH

Adventurer
If the lawsuit has proceeded, he probably isnt allowed to post anything related to either party

pchflag

I am a former employee of Moby1 and I am not surprised to hear about the demise of the company. The owners lacked business ethics and did not have the experience necessary to develop and operate a manufacturing enterprise that could meet demand and serve their customers. I have managed construction and manufacturing businesses for more than 20 years and they used all of the time tested tricks of financial chicanery common to both businesses. If you made a deposit it was not used to purchase inventory or to make payroll. I left the company several years ago after the employees were told that there were no funds to cover payroll for the previous four weeks and that parts and material for active builds could not be purchased for the same reason. The employees were skilled fabricators but when you don't get paid and you don't have parts or material, in spite of the frequent announcements about how many new orders were coming in, you know that the funds are not being used to pay business expenses. This was the root cause of the ridiculous lead times that were quoted. Partially finished trailers frequently sat idle due to the lack of parts and material. Build times, when resources were available, were about 2 weeks.

Vorsheer is the group of former employees from Moby1. They were using a lot of their personal fabrication equipment because the owners of Moby1 wouldn't invest in production assets. That is probably why they kept the shop. They have no connection to the former owners and when I left there was a lot of animosity between labor and owners. Looking at their new trailer they have made a number of upgrades to improve the original design. I haven't spoken with them for a few years so this is not a covert plug for their new business. I'm glad to see they didn't lose their tools when the owners of Moby1 shut down. I wish them the best with their new enterprise.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Happy with my TC Teardops offroad trailer. Bought for well less than a Moby deposit, paid it off immediately and it is being enjoyed. Their deposit requirements are very low (less now then when I bought mine) because they know if someone backs out, they can sell the trailer almost immediately. Will it go everywhere a Moby would? Likely 90% of those places and I didn't need a second mortgage to do it. I get about 15-20 days a year minimum out in it. Will it pay for itself? Likely not but I sure do enjoy the comfort and convenience. The best thing, the owners are honest and were super helpful both during the build and anytime I've contacted them afterwards. I send Todd a message on Facebook, he's typically back to me within a day. I do feel bad for those that have lost large chunks of money to unscrupulous folks though.

opp

Observer
As long as there a LLC. take deposits go bankrupt. Stay in the same place new LLC. take deposits go bankrupt You think that they would at least move.

fireball

Explorer
So did moby just go Out of business, or did they do so taking lots of deposits with them? I don’t think anyone has actually posted that they lost a deposit to them…

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
That is awful. I hope that the legal owners of this company are stripped of their personal possessions and that the monies are returned to all customers with unfulfilled contracts. What are the chances of that happening though?

ksj

Observer
Moby 1 screwed me on my trailer, which sits unused in my back yard. I live in Washington. The trailer leaks like a sieve. I tried and threatened to get them to do something, but it came down to them wanting me to pay thousands more to ship it back and forth, and no warranty that the work would be completed.

The trailer body is out of square on one side. In a big way.

When I purchased I got the same runaround others have said they had. It took 14 months to finally get the trailer I was told would be 3-6 months, and 19 months before I got awning I paid for and other misc items that were supposed to be part of my build. Shady is putting it lightly. In my mind Ashley Grimes (former owner of Moby1) is nothing but a crook and has been for some time.

flipmachine

Adventurer
Moby 1 screwed me on my trailer, which sits unused in my back yard. I live in Washington. The trailer leaks like a sieve. I tried and threatened to get them to do something, but it came down to them wanting me to pay thousands more to ship it back and forth, and no warranty that the work would be completed.

The trailer body is out of square on one side. In a big way.

When I purchased I got the same runaround others have said they had. It took 14 months to finally get the trailer I was told would be 3-6 months, and 19 months before I got awning I paid for and other misc items that were supposed to be part of my build. Shady is putting it lightly. In my mind Ashley Grimes (former owner of Moby1) is nothing but a crook and has been for some time.
If you lived closer would love to fix this thing

ksj

Observer
If you lived closer would love to fix this thing

I'm deciding what to do now. Honestly I couldn't look at the thing for the last couple years because I'd get to angry about being ripped off. I'm trying to decide if I want to have someone try to fix it, or if I should throw in the towel and have a box built with a rooftop tent.

flipmachine

Adventurer
dude!!!!! you spent an ass load of cash on that thing!!, if you ever wanna recoup some of that... get it fixed... is it in a dry area as of now? or exposed to the elements?

ksj

Observer
dude!!!!! you spent an ass load of cash on that thing!!, if you ever wanna recoup some of that... get it fixed... is it in a dry area as of now? or exposed to the elements?

It was covered with a tarp at the beginning of winter, but it flew off in a heavy wind/rain storm, not for the first time. I figure I can reuse the frame, kitchen stuff (fridge, stove), heater, etc. in a new build if I can't get it fixed by someone reliable.

flipmachine

Adventurer
It was covered with a tarp at the beginning of winter, but it flew off in a heavy wind/rain storm, not for the first time. I figure I can reuse the frame, kitchen stuff (fridge, stove), heater, etc. in a new build if I can't get it fixed by someone reliable.
any mold yet??? I am sure we could change out the doors,.. cause lets be honest.. those doors are junk, and then seal the rear up if there is a leak... just hate to see such a beautiful trailer not be used for what its meant for.... doors will run you about 280 each, the rest wouldnt cost much..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles