Moby1 Going Out Of Business? Has Anyone Received A Deposit Return?

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I know it is too late for many but if you are ordering anything NEVER give a huge lump sum deposit. Honestly there is no reason for any company to take a deposit that big, they may buy supplies for the entire project at once but usually have them on credit snd most expense for projects like this is labour. Agree to a set of deposits that you pay as they do work on your project. This is harder if you are not nearby I realize that, but keep checking on progress, by pictures if you have to. If at all possible do your deposits by credit card so you have another way to go after them if the project is not completed. ALSO have a written time schedule that you hold them to and if they do not stick with it there better be a very good reason or you get your deposits back. I hope you and others get all their money back or the unit you ordered.

sn_85

Observer
Moby1 might be back at it again. This time around it could be in a different name, Vorsheer and their "new" eXtreme Overland Camper (XOC). I saw it pop up on my Instagram feed. I noticed that they share the same exact address as Moby1. I looked at their trailer and there are quite a few similarities in the trailers as well. While they've gone with a more angular design it seems to share a similar general shape and layout. Their tongue box configuration is the same and the rear galley is EXACTLY the same.

I pressed Vorsheer about this on the IG page and their response was that they have no connection or relationship with Moby1. They said it was a different company and different management. They said they took over Moby1's warehouse when they shut down. I mentioned that their tongue box and rear galley looked exactly the same and their response was that it's a pretty standard layout for these types of trailers even though I've never seen that layout in any other trailer and that design is quite unique. I can understand similarities but not exact copies.

I hate bad mouthing a company I know nothing about but there are just too many red flags and similarities in the two trailers for me not to think that Vorsheer is Moby1 reincarnated. If they had told me that they bought out Moby1 and that they bought the trailer designs and are under new management I would have believed it. But to say there is absolutely no connection between the two just isn't believable at all. Buyer beware.

https://www.vorsheershop.com/xoc

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
$30,000 for a gussied up, tear drop trailer?

$100,000 for Kimberly trailers?

I'm in the wrong biz. I should move to Indiana and start making expo trailers, and expo box's.

flipmachine

Adventurer
ya saw that, they say they have no connections, but I find that hard to believe.. and 37k... I will be marketing my full pop up fully loaded for 32k

opp

Observer
I been talking about building a 100 year light off road for under US $ 4500 out the door . Be for you say it can not be done. Look at the fiberglass egg trailers of the 1960d and 70 just the wood floors went bad

flipmachine

Adventurer
our 2 trailers are light years apart, just my powder coating is over 4500$... but thats the beauty of this hobby, you can have pretty much anything you want to fit your budget.

stomperxj

Explorer
Registered agent for Vorsheer is someone named Sunshine McCloud. Can't find a tie to Ash Grimes with my very amateur search skills. She shares posts on her facebook page of the Vorsheer trailers like its some friend of hers company which is weird if she is the registered owner.

Looks pretty similar to me. D ring on tongue, door, tongue box, protection bar on tongue. Who knows. Maybe the new people bought all the old trailers Moby1 never delivered. Just posting what I found.

Moby1:

moby1.jpgVorsheer:

vorsheer.jpg

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Was meaning to post this as curiosity got the better of me. Vorsheer, LLC had a biz licence back in 07/13/2018 at the same address moby was using up until moby went under at the first week of Dec. It shows it expired on 12/10/2018 but then it shows an application for renewal has been filed. Again at moby's same address. The POC is correct, Sunshine McCloud who lives in Spanish Fork. Looks like she makes crafts snd knick knacks but there is mention on a fb acct of "..the boys have finished the trailer! Now it's on to sales!!" No mention of who "the boys" are and that post was on December 19th of 2018. So curiosity...

Moby's last social media posts were on Oct 5-8th of '18. According to bank filings I saw the business was shut down Dec 1 or 2nd, 2018. It could have been earlier but that's the file date I found. I thought to myself that from that time until Dec 19th (when Vorsheer was showing they had a finished product) - that was a very quick turn around time. So I called a buddy in provo (LDS people know everything going on everywhere ?) and he said Vorsheer, LLC is owned by two or three people that worked for Moby. Now things become more clear on such a quick hey, we are a new business and we already have a unit for sale. With no mention of testing or it being a prototype etc. Now is that moby connection good or bad, who knows. Made me wonder if Vorsheer, LLC bought half finished or started trailers they finished out themselves or bought materials left by moby hence the quick build time.

I checked out Vorsheer's social media which shows very little other than they do general fab work. Now it makes sense how they made the leap to building teardrops. They made them all along. No need to ptototype or test. The sketchy thing to me was a posting on their instagram. A person asked if they were connected to moby which they denied. That sets off alarm bells to me. It's like, why be sketchy and deny a connection. Just be honest and tell the public you build a quality product and moby's failure was on them. But that's not how it comes across. In fact they even said the shop space was available so we took it almost like they just stumbled in the door on accident. I dont know, it felt a little disingenuous to me.

In a world where this overland fad is costing people tens of thousands of dollars in bad deals, regret, fights with significant others etc and businesses like inka outdoor and moby screwing their customers - again I'll say this - people need to slow the fk down and take a breath. Dropping 10k on a deposit for some isn't a big deal but for others it's their entire savings acct. I see way too many people jumping into these deals just to regret it 6 months later because they see **************** on social media about living your best life!!! What some don't realize is a lot of these people have zero net worth, are living on hand outs from strangers/family and behind the pretty pics and posts on how great life is on the road is failed relationships, screaming kids and depressed adults who are tired of being hot and cold and chewed on by bugs. The flip side is a lucky few are just independently wealthy with family money or have a six figure income affording them the chance to work 3 months out of the year or do their job from the road. And even those people make piss poor financial choices. Buying $50,000 offroad trailers to sell them at a loss 6-12 months later having used it 3-5 times.

My advice is ask yourself some real tough questions before you drop 30k on a toy, because that's all it is, including the question of if this deal goes south can I afford the loss. Is a 30k trailer worth 5-10 nights a year of camping? Life happens and your dream of 25+ nights a year or cross country travel can get shut down real fast. BEEN THERE! In the end will your kids remember the 300 watt solar setup or state of the art fridge freezer? Or will they remember you teaching them how to cook burgers on a national park grill you had to clean for 20 mins while they splashed in a creek and skipped rocks. Will that toy make the place your going better?

Food for thought.

Last edited:

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
$30,000 for a gussied up, tear drop trailer?

$100,000 for Kimberly trailers?

I'm in the wrong biz. I should move to Indiana and start making expo trailers, and expo box's.

But those bruder trailer's... It's like a magical modern IKEA store kitchen and bedroom display you can take to the desert. ?

outback97

Adventurer
But to say there is absolutely no connection between the two just isn't believable at all. Buyer beware.

https://www.vorsheershop.com/xoc

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/vorsheer-xoc-overland-camper.200310/

In case that link disappears, first post quoted below, posted December 4, 2018 by VORSHEER:

Hello everyone!

We just wanted to share the 2019 VORSHEER XOC with everyone here on the forums. It's an up and coming overland camper we are excited to be building. VORSHEER was started and is ran by four former Moby1 employees. We started up after Moby1 closed their doors and we're already getting close to kicking out our first trailer (we're just a couple weeks away). It's in the same class as the Moby1 XTR and, while it shares similarities, it's quite a different trailer - what makes us different is all in the details! Head to our website where you can learn all about the XOC!

We also have social media on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube under the handle of vorsheershop, so be sure to check those out if you want to see what we are doing. We try to stay as active as possible on social media platforms so everyone can see what we are up to. If you have any questions you can contact us in a variety of ways, such as email (general questions to info@vorsheer.com, sales questions to sales@vorsheer.com), phone (+1 (385) 685-5037), or on any of our social media platforms. Customer response time and satisfaction is our number one goal, so don't forget that we are here to help with anything.

We just released a video that shows off the fabrication of our frame. It's rolled at 30 degrees to give it a unique look, and is really rigid and tough. Even though it's made from steel, the whole trailer is estimated to weigh in around 2,000 lbs (wet). Below we have some renders so you can get an idea of what the XOC will look like when it is all done. Follow us on social media to see the real thing come together in the next couple of weeks!

4runnerteq

Explorer
In a world where this overland fad is costing people tens of thousands of dollars in bad deals, regret, fights with significant others etc and businesses like inka outdoor and moby screwing their customers - again I'll say this - people need to slow the fk down and take a breath. Dropping 10k on a deposit for some isn't a big deal but for others it's their entire savings acct. I see way too many people jumping into these deals just to regret it 6 months later because they see **************** on social media about living your best life!!! What some don't realize is a lot of these people have zero net worth, are living on hand outs from strangers/family and behind the pretty pics and posts on how great life is on the road is failed relationships, screaming kids and depressed adults who are tired of being hot and cold and chewed on by bugs. The flip side is a lucky few are just independently wealthy with family money or have a six figure income affording them the chance to work 3 months out of the year or do their job from the road. And even those people make piss poor financial choices. Buying $50,000 offroad trailers to sell them at a loss 6-12 months later having used it 3-5 times.

My advice is ask yourself some real tough questions before you drop 30k on a toy, because that's all it is, including the question of if this deal goes south can I afford the loss. Is a 30k trailer worth 5-10 nights a year of camping? Life happens and your dream of 25+ nights a year or cross country travel can get shut down real fast. BEEN THERE! In the end will your kids remember the 300 watt solar setup or state of the art fridge freezer? Or will they remember you teaching them how to cook burgers on a national park grill you had to clean for 20 mins while they splashed in a creek and skipped rocks. Will that toy make the place your going better?

Great advice. The wife and I do really enjoy our SoCal, but I second, and third and on guess myself that it was a poor financial decision. Fortunately, I guess?, its the only thing we owe on, BUT, how much more could we go and see if we had just stayed with the $400 M416 and Kodiak tent. We still have those, and at times, if it wasn't for breaking the wifes heart now that she loves the SoCal Id contemplate selling it. Don't get me wrong, it is fun, it's cool, sleeps nice, it IS everything its supposed to be and I know something really bad like a job loss or some other unforeseen financial burden would be the only thing to prompt me to sell it. If I had it to do again? Honestly, I cant say. We both really enjoy it. You have to make your own decisions. Where we are in life right now its working for us. I can only take a week at a time off from work, so its hard to get very far from home anyway. IF, I still owed on a house and 2 cars like a lot of people, no way in hell would I buy one. Anyway, that's my rambling thought for the day.

sn_85

Observer
Was meaning to post this as curiosity got the better of me. Vorsheer, LLC had a biz licence back in 07/13/2018 at the same address moby was using up until moby went under at the first week of Dec. It shows it expired on 12/10/2018 but then it shows an application for renewal has been filed. Again at moby's same address. The POC is correct, Sunshine McCloud who lives in Spanish Fork. Looks like she makes crafts snd knick knacks but there is mention on a fb acct of "..the boys have finished the trailer! Now it's on to sales!!" No mention of who "the boys" are and that post was on December 19th of 2018. So curiosity...

Moby's last social media posts were on Oct 5-8th of '18. According to bank filings I saw the business was shut down Dec 1 or 2nd, 2018. It could have been earlier but that's the file date I found. I thought to myself that from that time until Dec 19th (when Vorsheer was showing they had a finished product) - that was a very quick turn around time. So I called a buddy in provo (LDS people know everything going on everywhere ?) and he said Vorsheer, LLC is owned by two or three people that worked for Moby. Now things become more clear on such a quick hey, we are a new business and we already have a unit for sale. With no mention of testing or it being a prototype etc. Now is that moby connection good or bad, who knows. Made me wonder if Vorsheer, LLC bought half finished or started trailers they finished out themselves or bought materials left by moby hence the quick build time.

I checked out Vorsheer's social media which shows very little other than they do general fab work. Now it makes sense how they made the leap to building teardrops. They made them all along. No need to ptototype or test. The sketchy thing to me was a posting on their instagram. A person asked if they were connected to moby which they denied. That sets off alarm bells to me. It's like, why be sketchy and deny a connection. Just be honest and tell the public you build a quality product and moby's failure was on them. But that's not how it comes across. In fact they even said the shop space was available so we took it almost like they just stumbled in the door on accident. I dont know, it felt a little disingenuous to me.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/vorsheer-xoc-overland-camper.200310/

In case that link disappears, first post quoted below, posted December 4, 2018 by VORSHEER:

And now we have our answer. I guess this is what happens when you run your company out of dishonesty, you can't get your story straight. You tell one story on here and a totally different story somewhere else. They would have been better off just being honest and it would have put them in a better light. Now they look just as shady as Moby1. I mean I wouldn't have given money to them even if they were honest about it given their connection with Moby1 but now they are just flat out liars. Not a way to start your "new" company.

@VORSHEER

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles