Moby1 Going Out Of Business? Has Anyone Received A Deposit Return?

portiadog

I ordered a Moby1 XTR back in August of 2016. The original build time was 9-12 months. 12 months after ordering, the build time was pushed back 3-6 months. In March of this year, I was told "1 more month" every month that asked about delivery. Finally, I bought a used trailer and asked for a refund of my deposit. Has anyone received a deposit return or their trailer in the last few months?

jimmynotjim

Sounds a lot like the Pelfreybilt situation. You can try to get your card company to submit a chargeback but from what I've seen on those threads people aren't having great luck if they paid in cash or bank transfer.

QQQ

Taking a deposit then outright lying about build dates? I hope you get your money back.

Last edited:

ottsville

Observer
They're not the the first trailer builder to have this issue. Heck, there's been at least two other threads here in the last 6 months about other builders doing the same thing.

Sucks and it's bad business practices, but what you gonna do as a consumer? Buy the crap coming out of Indiana, or go hop on a waiting list at another builder?

Last edited:

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Anyone that asks for a deposit then tells you it will be a year for anything is running a soft pyramid scheme period. Got $20 that says they chapt 7, fold and walk with all that money and their personal assets.

flipmachine

Adventurer
as a trailer builder myself, I can understand that quality takes time and money.....when I first started out it was rough, you would be working on a build and almost outta cash, then you sold another one.. that deposit would help finish the current build your on... but after 5 or 6 trailers, you should easily have enough of a cushion to not have to depend on deposits to get you through the build.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
In many industries a deposit is required for "custom" work to cover materials as that "custom" item might not be sellable if the buyer backs out.
HOWEVER it should never be that a builder needs the deposit to keep the lights on and finish previous orders.....
Thank goodness for the web and searching before buying

flipmachine

Adventurer
In many industries a deposit is required for "custom" work to cover materials as that "custom" item might not be sellable if the buyer backs out.
HOWEVER it should never be that a builder needs the deposit to keep the lights on and finish previous orders.....
Thank goodness for the web and searching before buying
its starting to be pretty common though in the industry.

portiadog

It appears from other forums that there are at least a dozen other customers with deposits placed going back to June 2016 who have not been able to reach anyone at Moby1 recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles