Moby vs SoCal Teardrop

Hello all!

I’m deciding between a Moby 1 and a SoCal teardrop Krawler for my trips. I am aware of Mobys legal issues and ask my question concerning design and function. I’m very curious about users input, pros and cons. I would like to simply take it on moderate trails, nothing crazy. I want a comfortable space for my self+1.
Any help would be appreciated!

STREGA

Explorer
My brother had a early So-cal Krawler that I got to use a few times and liked it for the most part, it went wherever my FJ Cruiser could take it. It did have some issues with the doors warping enough to leak dust/water into cabin. So-Cal did come up with a fix to stiffen up the door and I think that cured it, my brother sold his before getting around to doing the fix so don’t know for sure.
Don’t know about Mobys much but don’t think there legal issues should effect you if buying a used unit.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
My vote would be for SoCal Teardrop. I have known the owner Gabe for at least 15 years and I really like his work, plus he an honest and kind person. The company I previously owned had his Teardrop bodies built onto our chassis and we never had an issue with his product. I haven’t kept up with Moby1 for a few years but they did have an issue with delivering product at one point and there was a lot of ill feeling going around. I have no idea how they are currently performing.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I’ve rented SoCal teardrops. Stout trailers. I wouldn’t touch a Moby as there’s no support. Take a look at the Escapod Topo and the new Topo II.

SoCal_80

Explorer
SoCal without a doubt. I own the original prototype 459 and it is amazing. Not a single issue and it performs like new. Gabe stands behind his work and you will not be happier!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Adventure1

My brother had a early So-cal Krawler that I got to use a few times and liked it for the most part, it went wherever my FJ Cruiser could take it. It did have some issues with the doors warping enough to leak dust/water into cabin. So-Cal did come up with a fix to stiffen up the door and I think that cured it, my brother sold his before getting around to doing the fix so don’t know for sure.
Don’t know about Mobys much but don’t think there legal issues should effect you if buying a used unit.

I've had a Krawler since 13 - have a fat soft topper that pushes against the inside of the doors and have zero issues - their inside door handle that distributes strength across the door solves this.

SoCal_80

Explorer
I own the original/prototype SoCal 459. No issues at all anywhere! Swear for everywhere it has been and pushed through it nearly looks like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

STREGA

Explorer
SoCal Teardrops treats you like family for life.

They are good people. When my brother’s trailer was close to the time of it’s completion date there was a serious health issue with one of the family members that really through a wrench in So-Cals operation. It was not going to get done on time which was understandable but the problem I had was that I had taken vacation time from work to go get it and wasn’t able to reschedule my vacation time. Without asking them to they offered to deliver it to Colorado for no charge. They are good people!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles