Mobile Comms (CB, Ham) in Montero Sports-Show me what ya got.

sxharr05

Adventurer
I've got a 2002 Sport and plan on installing a CB in the near future as well as a 2m/70cm ham. I have a few ideas as far as how I want to run them, but I'd like to see what others have done as well. Since space is limited and I want a clean install, my Uniden PC78LTW will NOT be going in. I'm looking at the Cobra WX 18 ST II for the slot below the radio. Can anyone confirm fitment?

shov3lbum

Adventurer
I thought I recognized that name from somewhere! It's Jeff (monty98) from monterosportonline :sombrero: I think you were having issues with the liftgate last I remember right? I had no idea you were on the portal, very cool.

As for the post, I am still working towards my ham license and also have been looking at placement for my future 2m/70cm radio. Although for now I'm just in the market for a CB myself, mostly for the weather band capability, but also because it's kind of a universal way to communicate with other trail and highway riders of those who don't have their license for amateur yet.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Hard to beat the versatility of the Midland 75-820 which can be used in car with a 12v / ext. antenna base or battery base.
75822.jpg
Unit has both CB and Weather.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
I need to pick up another CB, I sold my old setup...dual antennas, SWR tuned, it worked really well. Ray, I'll have to check out that Midland unit.

Right now, all I have is a hand held AA-powered CB. It's fine for short range commo, and the flexibility to take tit out of the truck is nice. But I would like something hard mounted.

I actually prefer the FRS radios, but while they are used a lot in other activities, the 4x4 crowd doesn't seem to use them too much.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I bought a 2nd Midland unit last year for $75 from amazon.com. My first after nearly a decade of bouncing around my cab on many a 4x4 adventure began overheating and poorly transmitting.

sxharr05

Adventurer
I thought I recognized that name from somewhere! It's Jeff (monty98) from monterosportonline :sombrero: I think you were having issues with the liftgate last I remember right? I had no idea you were on the portal, very cool.

As for the post, I am still working towards my ham license and also have been looking at placement for my future 2m/70cm radio. Although for now I'm just in the market for a CB myself, mostly for the weather band capability, but also because it's kind of a universal way to communicate with other trail and highway riders of those who don't have their license for amateur yet.

Yep, sxharr05 in the cyber-flesh. Good to see you over here. Re:liftgate. It's tempramental. Got it open and lubed the latch mechanism and it was fine for a week. So I load up my tools and head to work with the idea of installing my antenna and mount while on lunch. Of course it didn't open. And considering where I was putting the mount I kinda needed it to do so. After messing with the lock and handle it popped. I installed the mount and antenna and now it won't open again. Grr.

Back on topic, though the previous rant was somewhat related. I did a little poking around and discovered that the Cobra 18 WX ST II is single DIN in size so I ordered one. I'll put it in the spot below the JVC head unit. The wife will never notice. :bike_rider: The reasons for wanting a CB are as you mentioned-fairly universal and this particular model has the weather stations. Also, with road trips being a part of the plan, they come in handy for traffic and, uh, smokey reports. Plus, I work in logistics and we have our own fleet. While it won't be used for work purposes often, there are times when I'll communicate with our drivers when on the road with them.

May plan for ham is now to get a radio with a detachable face so I have a few more mounting options.

I'll get pics of the CB setup as soon as it's all done.

jlocster

Explorer
I almost went with the Cobra 18 WX ST II because of the form factor too. As far as I could find it was the only DIN sized unit with a front firing speaker. I was researching CBs on the CB forums and most folks way more knowledgeable than I had a pretty low opinion of it though, saying it was the worst of the Cobra line. Totally bummed me out because the fit would've been perfect for my rig. I'm not criticizing your decision sxharr05, just wanted to point out what I read. Either way I hope you post about your experience with it because I'm still tempted.

I ended up going with a Uniden 520 Pro XL. Works fine and is small but I don't like the weird size due to the fact that it makes for a funky in-dash install. Not a Montero Sport but my CB install is here.

Off-roader, I'm also considering going to that Midland unit and still might. Do you use yours with an external antenna? Have you hardwired it? How's the reach?

Last edited:

sxharr05

Adventurer
I just saw your install in your build thread. Very clean (as was all the work. Is there room for an SWR meter in that spot?) but I lack the "finish" in my fabrication skills. I'm very familiar with the Pro520XL and had considered one, but I want to make this look as "factory" as possible. And believe me, IF I could cleanly fit the PC78LTW I would certainly do so. It's been my experience that the Uniden radios operate better than their Cobra counterparts out of the box. But the 78 is entirely too large to mount anywhere aside from under a seat. And one underseat is tagged for a hammy while the other has a lock box.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Off-roader, I'm also considering going to that Midland unit and still might. Do you use yours with an external antenna? Have you hardwired it? How's the reach?
Yes it's hard wired to an external antenna, although "hardwired" isn't entirely accurate since power is drawn from a cigarette lighter.

My antenna of choice is a 4' fiberglass fire stick mounted to my roof rack and the wire is routed to my rear door and into the cab, and runs along the floor to the front where it attaches to the antenna connector on the radio.

Range is ok although I haven't spent much time tuning it with my SWR meter. It's good enough to maintain comms on the highway and with vehicles near you on the trail. Range is affected by terrain so every trail is different in that respect.

T

twistedsmily

Hey so on the same note. (Cb installs)
Have anybody used a hatch antenna mount think firestick is the brand I found.

Oh I forgot I got a sport with a lift hatch. Not the rear door of the full size.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

twistedsmily

Ah. The mount I was asking about is the vertical Door jamb mount. (Had to Google it for the name).

sxharr05

Adventurer
The jamb mount is what I'm using. Mounted just below the left tail light. Worked out pretty well. I wanted to go above the light, but the raised seam in the sheet metal would not have allowed it to sit flat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior