Moab weekend...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Wanted to report I just got back from a killer Moab weekend... I wish I had taken pics. But it was almost too much fun to stop and take pics. We actually rode on Friday on Slickrock and from afar I actually saw the expo group that had gotten together. Was a bummer not to be able to go over there and say hi. Anyway, rode Friday on Slickrock on my hard tail. Did great and it climbed great but Moab really is a full suspension kind of location. Friday evening decided to rent a bike (hopefully a Turner) but went around to everywhere, no Turners in my size so I ended up on a 21" long travel blur that was a killer Bike. Rode Amasa to Jackson Hole single track Saturday. then took a couple hours off and went out to Bartlett wash. As a result I rode pretty much the most technical riding I have ever ridden in my life. Plenty of clipouts and some walking but I really challenged myself hard and nailed a lot of lines and even some decent little drops :) Not a single wreck the entire weekend though plenty of close calls...

In all had a great trip, really kicked my own ass with the riding some body parts are still sore, particularly my wrists/hands perhaps related to the handlebars being a little low for me on the Blur, so I think I had to hold on tight to make them work as they should... We were very close to going ot Fruita but instead at the last second decided to go to Moab... I rode with two very good riders locally, one of which owns a bike shop... Personally I need to get my lungs in check a little more, "hocking out years of flegm" was the expression which I agree with :)

Was definetely into the Blur, definetely a killer bike. Was temped to maybe throw the plastic down but did not. I am still on the 29er trail bike kick and think I might end up with those. But was fun to really ride a pretty sick 5" travel XC/AM type bike with a good fork and components (Fox fork, DT swiss wheel set, good Thomson/Truvativ components, and a nice and tight shifting SRAM shifting setup.. the bike was basically brand new...).

I also couldn't believe how many bikers were out. Town really was pretty busy/thriving, and lots of riders on the trail. We were down there this exact weekend several years ago and it was dead. Moabv was roaring despite lots of businesses closed for the shoulder season, perhaps largely related to the weather. We camped (two nights near slickrock and one night on the Colorado off River Road on the way to Castle Valley), and it was about 65-70 during the days and 30 or less during the nights. Even in my -40 bag it was suprizingly chilly/lightly frosty at night cold, I was really glad I had brought the ************** bag. But in all I think the weather / temps were about perfect... I guess there is a saying how you know it's Moab in spring is it turns green (Colorado licence plates! :) ). I'd say maybe for the fall too! :)

Anyway was a blast. Again I wish I had photos. Currently suffering from a light cold that I think I might have kicked.. But am definetely a happy camper and again reminding me why I am so happy to live in this great state.. Possibly/probably my best Moab trip ever! Cheers!

Last edited:

gearguywb

Explorer
Glad you had a good time. We used to ride Moab when the weather got too cold for riding in Colorado. What trails did you do?

BTW, I have been riding a Turner Sultan 29er for a couple of months....I think it would make a great Moab bike.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
gearguywb said:
I think it would make a great Moab bike.
And I ride a Blur LT (Fox Vanilla RLC 140, SRAM X.9/XT, Thomson post & stem, Cane Creek wheels, etc, etc), which I've found to be a good Moab bike. :)

Sounds like a fun trip.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
cool thanks guys... Same here got a little cold up here in Park City so we cruised down. It's been a week already since that post, but it warmed up nicely before a huge storm rolled in last night. I think I posted the list of trails in the first email.. They were Slickrock (go for the tourist option but it was fun), Amasa to Jackson, Bartlett Wash... Camped near the bottom of Porcupine but were too hammered and on a schedule Sunday morning so we split early after a nice greasy breakfast...

On this Saturday morning probably rode 20-25 miles through a lot of the Park City single track... For some reason it really kicked my ass especially my muscles. Normally they do OK and I am winded.. I am fairly in shape but this time was both winded and muscles hurting.. I think it was also about the last ride for a little while for me, for the season as winter comes. Back to working on trucks as the weather rolls in. But hoping to maybe get down to Gooseberry in the near future, hopefully the next month or so...

Anyway, thanks for the posts. At the LBS that I do some work for they are thinking of picking up Turner if we can get enough orders. You have to sell a minimum of 3 a year (which is not too much) but they sell enough.. Cool part would be I would get cost and I love the Sultan and particularly the geometry/design for use with the shorter stem. Otherwise I might end up with the El Rey I was thinking which is a nice bonus because it can be swapped to 5" fairly easily... I am being patient though, waiting to figure out what I want versus letting tempation get me...

Last edited:

Willman

Very nice!

I'm going to have to get my bike going (tires need air and one of my hubs is shot)....

I miss riding........After doing the Hells Revenge trail in my rig....the slickrock trail looks pretty sweet!

:jumping:

gearguywb

Explorer
Slickrock is a different world! Too bad you did not do Porc Rim. It is truly a classic with great views, a good climb, and rocking downhill. Just gives you another reason to go back!

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Exactly :)

I think there is still a lot to bike. I have to say it really was a blast MTB Moab.. I have wheeled it so many times and had a blast but this again was probably my funnest Moab trip ever possibly :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz