Moab on 31's?

Based on the thread, what tire; what size?

• Goodyear Duratrac

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • BFG T/A KO

Votes: 25 50.0%

Votes: 23 46.0%

Votes: 20 40.0%

• Total voters
My wife and I are heading to Moab in May of 2012, and I have set out to prepare our XJ for the trip. Since this will be our first trip to Moab, we will be forced to make many blind decisions, and I am hoping my buddies here will be able to help. The first of these decisions is tire choice.

For reference, a brief description of the core components:

1998 XJ Classic
AW4
NP231J
RE 7.5 Longarm
Warn M8000
35/12.5/15 Baja Claw Radials
D30 -completely stock with 3:55 and open diff
Chrysler 8.25 (same condition as D30)
Lots of undercarriage armor

I got a great deal on a preassembled rig. However, as with any purchase of this sort, it was tailored to the original owner's individual needs, not mine. For example, I would feel more comfortable with much smaller tires and slightly less lift (I'm thinking 4.5").

The wife, as well as my peers, are pressuring me to purchase 33's. I like this size, and will ultimately end up running 33's in the future. However, for now and for this trip, I think that 31's may be a better choice. This idea is based on: Improved gas mileage over 33's (we are driving from S.C.), decreased risk of broken parts, decreased overall cost (re gearing will run ~$1000), and the ability to run Aussie lockers in both axles.

It is my belief that using Aussie lockers in both axles with 31" tires, will be far more beneficial than running 33" tires with only a rear locker (I'm too chicken to run 33's and a locker with stock shafts and gears). Does this make sense?

After I have determined what size to run, the next decision faced will be choosing a tire brand and model. Right now the two main contenders are: BFG A/T KOs or Goodyear Duratracs. I have read tons of reviews from many different genres, and talked to a few people who own these tires in order to narrow down to these two particular tires. My main criteria consists of, low road noise, tire wear characteristics, and performance. Since the Jeep is my daily driver, and is only on the trail 10-15% of the time, I feel that all terrains or an intermediate between mud and all terrain would suit me best. I trust my friends here on Expedition Portal more than any other source; what is your experience with these tires, and recommendation based on this criteria? Are there any tires out there that I should take a second look at?

This is a tough decision for me because I will be stuck with whatever choice I make for some time, as my wife and I are both college students and money is limited. This trip is our graduation present to ourselves and we want to have a wonderful experience. We will be in Utah for 6-7 weeks visiting many cool places along the way including: Lake Powell; Mesa Verde; Canyonlands; Moab; and possibly a few other spots. Any advice regarding this trip or setting up the Jeep would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :sombrero:

Here are a couple of old pics of our XJ:
9c449786.jpg
0dd3d9ef.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You can run 70% of the trails in Moab on a 4.5in lift with 31's and full slider/skid protection without a locker. As for tires, go with the BFG A/T's. Which dates will you be in Moab, I go down in May and Oct each year.

You can run 70% of the trails in Moab on a 4.5in lift with 31's and full slider/skid protection without a locker. As for tires, go with the BFG A/T's. Which dates will you be in Moab, I go down in May and Oct each year.

I completely agree. In 2002 I went to Moab for my first time in a stock TJ with 31's and crawled all over the place for a week. It's not so much tire size that counts but the amount of skill the driver has to traverse the trails. Plus it makes everything alot more fun. Enjoy your trip!

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
You'll be fine in Moab on 31s. I ran 31s on my FJ40 for 10+ years all over Moab. It is mostly about tire placement and your line, not nearly as much about how much lift and tire you have.

Might I however recommend 32" in a 235/85r16 instead? Prices on that size are generally beneficial.

mochodurazo

I think, 31 on a 3.55 its pretty low for me. i mean DD, highways, and considering you are going to Moab for crawling.

I run 245 76 R16(look my signiature) on a 3.73, and a feel i need to re-gear to 4.11.

And about for another tire, i will recomend my tire. HYBIRD (between AT & MT) just a little more road noice than BG AT, superb grip on sand, rock, trails.

I'll also take a look on the COOPER DISCOVERER ST( or ST-C)

Greetings from Mexico

Topgun514

Adventurer
Before we all vote, are you dropping your lift height before hand. Do that first.

My vote is 3.5 inches and 31's. Report back when you see this and can give us more specs maybe. Because you are cut on the fenders you may want a 2 inch lift and 31's and full skids or 3 inch lift, 32's/33's. Lets hear back on more specs and what you are looking for lift height.

rdonahe

Observer
I run 31" BFG ATs, stock 3.55 gearing with a limited slip rear and an Aussie locker up front. Just took a trip from Seattle to Flagstaff via Moab. My XJ could definitely handle more than the driver (me) was willing to take on.

The 31" ATs are a great tire and pretty good compromise for a rig that is a DD.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
I vote if you cant build the axles in time then build then go smaller. I dont think you would have an issue with 33's... 30/44 combo in the XJ? I just installed new shafts and an aussie in the LJ's front D30 and the install was pretty and I hope it will give me more piece of mind. As others have said, Moab has traction so where as here in the SE you need serious wheel spin sometimes to climb the slick, muddy rocks and speed=break, Moab is more crawling. Just think it out and build your Jeep for the long run. No point in going backwards to get a smaller tire/less lift for a trip a year away when you want to run 33's in the future.

We are still working out the details. I would love to meet up though.

You'll be fine in Moab on 31s. I ran 31s on my FJ40 for 10+ years all over Moab. It is mostly about tire placement and your line, not nearly as much about how much lift and tire you have.

Might I however recommend 32" in a 235/85r16 instead? Prices on that size are generally beneficial.

You were right, that is definitely an inexpensive alternative.

I think, 31 on a 3.55 its pretty low for me. i mean DD, highways, and considering you are going to Moab for crawling.

I run 245 76 R16(look my signiature) on a 3.73, and a feel i need to re-gear to 4.11.

And about for another tire, i will recomend my tire. HYBIRD (between AT & MT) just a little more road noice than BG AT, superb grip on sand, rock, trails.

I'll also take a look on the COOPER DISCOVERER ST( or ST-C)

Greetings from Mexico

I checked out the Discoverer tires. They seem to have great reviews and I read a review on Jeepforum.com that said the STTs lasted 40k with only a 4 tire rotation.

Before we all vote, are you dropping your lift height before hand. Do that first.

My vote is 3.5 inches and 31's. Report back when you see this and can give us more specs maybe. Because you are cut on the fenders you may want a 2 inch lift and 31's and full skids or 3 inch lift, 32's/33's. Lets hear back on more specs and what you are looking for lift height.

I hear you on the lowering. I plan to run 4.5" springs so that I can change to whatever size I want in the future (probably never above 33s).

I run 31" BFG ATs, stock 3.55 gearing with a limited slip rear and an Aussie locker up front. Just took a trip from Seattle to Flagstaff via Moab. My XJ could definitely handle more than the driver (me) was willing to take on.

The 31" ATs are a great tire and pretty good compromise for a rig that is a DD.

Excellent, I'm glad to hear that the Aussie locker didn't cause any issues with your front outer U-joints or shafts. It definitely makes me feel more confident.

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
save the stress on your components
save cash at the pump

there is no need to go bigger than your needs require. Sounds like you guys would benefit more from a 31" tire.

Topgun514

Adventurer
At 4.5 inches of lift and that amount of trimming, you are going to feel goofy on 31's. 33's will fill better but is most likely overdoing your own jeep. I feel as if you should keep the lift lower at 3 or so that way with gear you will be at 2.5 (I am thinking OME heavy duty springs) plus the 31's. Gas mileage will be greatly improved as will road handling for safety because you will have less drag than a taller jeep. Moab would be done amazingly by this jeep especially an overland style. It is what I am aiming for my jeep to look like.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...1&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0&biw=1280&bih=709

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I got all excited and said 33" Duratracs in the poll, but I want to change my vote. lol

Without having re-geared, (that's VERY surprising considering that the lift is 7.5"!!!) I would suggest staying with 31's. I drove my '98 on 31's with the stock 3.55 gears for a few years and never had a problem cruising on the highway (even with a parachute... I mean roof rack up top) or in town or even offroad.

The only thing I would suggest you consider is your future plans for the vehicle.
I currently have mine on 33x12.5R15 mud tires and have regeared to 4.56's, a SYE and new drive shafts front and rear on a Rubicon Express 4.5 short arm kit. A detroit locker in the rear and an ARB air locker in the front. I also have the same axle combo as you - D30 front with Chrys. 8.25 rear.
My Cherokee is very capable right now, but I am not sure if I will actually ever use it to it's fullest at this point. I have a 3 yo son that I'd like to start taking with me on some trails, but I'm not going to do anything very technical/dangerous with him in the Jeep, so it will likely just be mild stuff.
I could go a heck of a lot of places with it on 31's and open/open diffs previously, and I got better fuel mileage doing it. I have spent several thousand dollars getting from that first stage to this point, and I'm really not recouping that huge expense with increased enjoyment.
So in short, I really wish I would have just stayed with 31's and saved a LOT of money over the years, plus my Jeep was out of commission for almost 3 years when I did the larger lift myself in my garage and had a couple of different shops do other work on it as well.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Also specifically on the tires - the BFG's "may" get you a bit more life, but the Duratracs are going to give you better grip in every condition compared to the BF's.

mochodurazo

IMAO, i dont think you can compare the bfgs vs Duratracs, diferent type of tire. bf'g AT are a benchmark in the AT world. Duratracs, are an exponential growing type of tyre, "hybrid" between AT & MT.to

Or that will be correct if you try compare, diferents types of tires.

I'd like to compare the BFG AT vs:
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2
Toyo Open Country AT
NITTO Terra Grappler
Firestone Destination AT
Goodyear SilentArmor
GENERAL graber AT2
Mastercraft Courser AT
Euzkadi Overlander AT
Kumho Road Venture AT
Pro Comp All Terrain
Pirelli Scorpion ATR