Moab Family Jeeping & Hiking- With Bacon!

Berserker

Hey, guys! I took my family to Moab and spent the week exploring. We stayed at a cabin in the Moab KOA (gasp!) and had an absolutely fantastic time. We originally planned to camp but the weather turned sour at the last minute and my wife and I didn't want to risk the kids getting sick. At Arches National Park we drove its only 4x4 trail and did various hikes with the kiddos (3 and 6 at the time). Next was Hell's Revenge on a somewhat rainy day. Even in those conditions, my wife opted to walk much of the trail because she can't stand being off-camber. That night we grilled steaks on a skillet over the fire. The next day it was snowing and we went to the Needles District in Canyonlands National Park. We intended to hit the 4x4 roads there and hike. When we arrived at the park rangers had just closed the roads due to deteriorating conditions. I don't blame them- the place was getting muddy and it's not worth tearing up the roads (#treadlightly). We made the best of it and did a few short hikes that were gorgeous. Although the weather was mostly unfavorable on this trip, we loved it. Most places we had to ourselves and could take our time relaxing as a family. This video is 23 minutes long so hopefully you're planted on a comfy toilet when you watch this.

My kids LOVED Utah and they're begging us to go back. Do you have any suggestions for places to visit? Our next available time is over Christmas break. I think Utah may be too chilly and we'll have to head further SW.

GHI

Adventurer
Good on you man. Nice to see the kids out there. I have the funniest memory of my son playing in that dirt and not having a clue about the big arch behind him.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
This gets me excited about our annual Moab Thanksgiving trip were we Camp and cook our turkey dinner in the desert. Love it! Thanks for sharing!

dodgeBenF

What a great trip! I love when foul weather keeps people away and you have amazing places like to yourself. The foul weather is actually when I like going out! Keeps the crowds to a min.

Berserker

Good on you man. Nice to see the kids out there. I have the funniest memory of my son playing in that dirt and not having a clue about the big arch behind him.
Thank you! It's funny how playing in the dirt is almost an instinct all kids have. And it's cheaper than a Playstation!
This gets me excited about our annual Moab Thanksgiving trip were we Camp and cook our turkey dinner in the desert. Love it! Thanks for sharing!
That's a unique Thanksgiving idea! How many family members partake in the event?
What a great trip! I love when foul weather keeps people away and you have amazing places like to yourself. The foul weather is actually when I like going out! Keeps the crowds to a min.
I love bad weather. When I got my license I used to seek out summer storms to drive through and follow flooded creeks to see if they crossed any roads. Poor conditions add texture to trips and make them more memorable, in my opinion.

jadmt

ignore button user
I just got back last night and highly recommend doing the White rim trail and if possible camp at Candlestick. it was the most awesome camp spot. Trail is super easy but it is so cool. It was clear as a bell and the sky incredible at night. It got down to maybe 20F but by 9am it was warmed up nicely. We camped one night on the White Rim and then at Sand flats which is awesome as both have lots of vault toilets which if you have kids and a wife is must
IMG_20191104_073736905_zpsw7imsxio.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles