Moab: 7-Mile Rim Trail

jk_surgeonfish

Observer
Went to Moab couple of weeks ago and ran the 7-Mile Rim Trail. WOW! This trail is not hard but has a few obstacles you can tackle if you want. Bypasses on most everything and a stock vehicle can make it just fine. The scenery on this trail makes it spectacular. Also, make sure to check out Tusher Tunnel at the end.

Here is a video I put together from our trip. Met a friend of mine from CA that I have known since 5th grade. First time wheeling for him with his white 92 XJ he just finished building. The day before we hit Fins and Things to get him acquainted with rock crawling a bit. I am driving the red 99 XJ.

I highly recommend this trail if you are looking something scenic, fun and something the kids will enjoy. It is a long day so make sure you have water, food and a way to stay warm if you break down. We started at 8am and were off the trail around 4pm.

Enjoy!

[video]https://youtu.be/4555w_ODgRE[/video]

icedragonmx

Adventurer
That looks like a great day of trail riding! Just one question, how much gas did you use for the whole trail? Thanks for posting the excellent video.

Smokeman

Nice video. I've done that trail a couple times in my jk and used between1/4 and 1/2 tank of fuel from Moab around the trail to tusher tunnel and back to town. OP did you try wipe out hill?

jk_surgeonfish

Observer
I think offroad I get something like 10-12mpg. Highway with normal driving (ie: no major headwind) loaded down I get 17mpg. I tend to leave it running to keep things cooled off and avoid any heat-soak. I do shut things down for lunch and typically pop the hood. XJs run a bit warm.

HouseVVares

Thanks for posting up. I'll be back in Moab this summer and was looking for some fun, simple routes I can do with a young family.

Not to pull too far off topic, but can you tell me the rim and tire combo you are using on the red XJ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

jk_surgeonfish

Observer
Thanks for posting up. I'll be back in Moab this summer and was looking for some fun, simple routes I can do with a young family.

Not to pull too far off topic, but can you tell me the rim and tire combo you are using on the red XJ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Glad you found the video useful. This is a great trail to do with the family. Your kids will love the tunnel and Uranium Arch.

Regarding the wheels. They are from a TJ and are called Rubicon Moab. 16x8. If you run on XJ with bigger tires you will need to use some wheel spacer like the SpiderTrax to clear your lower control arms from rubbing. The tires are Goodyear MTR 285 75 16s, same as 33x10.5. Honestly, I will probably not get this tire again. They do work well but I don't like the noise and they cup easy. My next set will be BFG KO2 in same size.

If you do get MTRs I would recommend you air them down to around 8-10psi when wheeling. I aired down to 12psi on my last trip and they did not hook up as good as they should have. On the road I run them at 24psi and rotate often (~3K).

Rotation Pattern:

Driver Front to Passenger Rear.
Driver Rear to Driver Front.
Passenger Front to Driver Rear
Passenger Rear to Passenger Front.

I used to rotate back to front and vice versa but the cupping was terrible. Doing the cross rotation has helped a lot.

Good Luck and have a safe trip to Moab.

icedragonmx

Adventurer
I think offroad I get something like 10-12mpg. Highway with normal driving (ie: no major headwind) loaded down I get 17mpg. I tend to leave it running to keep things cooled off and avoid any heat-soak. I do shut things down for lunch and typically pop the hood. XJs run a bit warm.

Thanks to everyone for the fuel mileage. I am trying to figure out what mine should be doing and looking at other vehicles in comparison. My weekend adventure left me with "24km before empty" on the dash. I guess I don't want to cut it any closer than that! I really do like your video and need to learn that skill soon, I am having a hard time capturing the trails on video. I so need to get south to try this trail!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94