Mitsubishi to Kill Off the Pajero (Montero)

nwoods

Expedition Leader
You guys see this? Killing an icon. What a bummer

mx21qcxlebxeqoelg4dm.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
This is like reading one of those internet stories where you didn't even know somebody was still alive until you read that they just died.

I thought Mitsubishi killed the Montero in 2008 or so?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'm kind of surprised they haven't done like Suzuki yet and just pulled out of North America. Not much in their line up and I don't see a whole lot of them on the road.

alanymarce

This is like reading one of those internet stories where you didn't even know somebody was still alive until you read that they just died.

I thought Mitsubishi killed the Montero in 2008 or so?
Ours is a 2016 model, and you can buy a new one today.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
They are probably leaving the large SUV market completely and only selling the truck overseas. Cars and CUVs are making them more money for less design and development cost.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Everyone is posturing for the EV market. The transition away from ICE will at some point require a reduction in resources producing and developing ICE to allow for full focus on EV’s. I believe that’s what’s on every auto manufacturers 10 year plan. I call it posturing because it seems like everyone’s talking about killing ICE but few are really fully dumping resources into it. Sort of like talking about going to Mars when everyone knows we will be lucky to sustain a moon program. I believe the EV market today is about like what aviation was in 1910, a lot of potential to get huge but requiring some spark to really get it going. A good analogy to me is that we are on a ship that’s taking on water (ICE), but we are keeping it afloat. We have time to get in the lifeboats (EV’s), but no one wants to abandon the ship until they’re sure they need to.

Last edited:

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
To me it not just about saving gas. I’m more into maintenance meaning brakes and tires....and windshield wipers. No more engine problems, transmission crap.....exhaust work.....this is the game changer most people aren’t thinking much about. 80% of vehicle maintenance needs will disappear. Vehicle ownership will be more like owning an electric drill or a bike.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
The number of people who actually do serious off roading is so small that I don’t think EV’s would crack that nut for a long time. It will probably remain a niche market long after EV’s are the dominant vehicles on the road. And who cares? There is enough money to be made converting cities & suburbs and cross country inter-city routes to be EV friendly and that will keep us busy for a decade or two no problem. Just like when cars came around, horses didn’t disappear overnight. Heck they are still the chosen method of transport in certain situations. Population density and EV feasibility go hand in hand, no doubt. Not sure what will happen in the most isolated areas of the country. Growth of EV’s will probably make gas more expensive as demand drops, so who knows.......

plh

Explorer
They will still make the BOF Pajero Sport as long as they are making pickups. They both come out of their assembly facility in Thailand. Unfortunately they will not come to USA. EV and Hybrids are interesting. I own an Outlander PHEV, great commuter and actually comfortable on long highway cruises (ICE hybrid after about 30 miles). Wife generally drives it for her work commute and routinely gets 100 mpge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles