Mitsubishi Montero Gen 2.5 Transfer Case Shift Lever Replacement

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I used black RTV. Regarding the springs, I don't remember them being under tension when in the right position for mounting the lever. It's been two years now, but I think the "tine" just lay along the inside of the drivers side fork with very little tension to get it to drop in. I could be totally missremembering the final position, but I remember fussing with it for awhile (not knowing what the right fork position was) until everything fell into place and it just felt right.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Update: Go to post #17, I have a photo of the final position, and at the time, described it as "mild tension".

gxgn

Observer
Does anyone know if the shifter from a 1993 Montero SR would work in a 99 Montero with winter package?
Thank you !
George

LibertyFLS

Observer
pulled one yesterday at local pick-your-part for 18 plus tax, about to put it in and swap the seat heater switch locations at the same time.

agrabau

Hi Everyone I am doing this repair now and was able to buy a new ball on Ebay through a dealer. I got the shifter off and the old ball was completely disintegrated. While cleaning I noticed that this pressed pin is offset. The pin rides in slots in the cup underneath the boot of the 4x4 shifter. Should these be offset or centered? I couldn't find any pics or info in this. I'm wondering if it got banged around while the car was driven with a bad shifter ball.

Thanks

AlexIMG_20170506_185849.jpg

Charon

I just swapped the entire shift lever
I just had to do the same thing with my 98. Swapped it with a shifter from s 97.
They changed the material to a crappy material for the ball in 98. The white ball is way better.

socalnative

Alex I have a gen 2 and 2.5 and both have the pin offset. I'm not sure why Mitsubishi did this. I should be offset from the two I've seen and several others in junkyards. A longer pin would work fine also. One reason I can see for it being offset is to allow more movement when shifting into 4LLC but a longer pin would do that also and be more positive when using the shifter in the other positions as well.
I measured and put the pin back into the same position when I replaced the bushing in both of my shifters.

socalnative

If you need any help getting that machined, I might be able to help. Dunno your manufacturing capacity but I'm sure others would be interested in such things.

Thanks, I'm a machinist and have machine availability but it's hard to take off paying jobs for fun things.
I'm still debating what material to try first.
Thanks for the offer to help!

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Thanks, I'm a machinist and have machine availability but it's hard to take off paying jobs for fun things.
I'm still debating what material to try first.
Thanks for the offer to help!

You bet! If you put them into production, they might become a paying job! Otherwise, if you're gonna sell some, sign me up for at least one. If you want to wholesale a bunch at once and not have to deal with the selling of them individually, shoot me a message. Always down to work with members of the community.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles